Going vegetarian

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've decided after a few months of thinking about it to go vegetarian, purely for ethical reasons. I absolutely love the taste of meat and could happily be a carnivore, so I think this could be quite hard. The last time I ate meat was only last night! :suicide:

I don't think I will be able to eat dairy products again unless I owned the farm and could look after the animals myself.

How do vegetarians here make up for their protein, vitamins and minerals, seeing as so many come from meat and dairy products? I can't eat nuts as I am allergic to them. :rolleyes:

Any cookbooks or links to shops that sell shoes without leather?

Many thanks.

Sounds like you're going vegan, rather than vegetarian. You'll find help here. But I'd be careful if I was you - your body really does need all the things you find in meat and dairy products, and unless you follow a carefully balanced diet, you coudl make yourself rather ill quite quickly.

Personally, I'd forget the whole daft idea and have a bacon sandwich. :smashin:

Sounds like you're going vegan, rather than vegetarian. You'll find help here. But I'd be careful if I was you - your body really does need all the things you find in meat and dairy products, and unless you follow a carefully balanced diet, you coudl make yourself rather ill quite quickly.

Yeah, I think I would consider myself going vegan rather than vegetarian, although I wouldn't say I subscribe to the tenets of veganism in that I would still consider eating eggs that are free range /and or organic although I must admit I need to do further research into the precise conditions in which chickens are maintained.

I agree about the balanced diet and want to make sure i'll get enough vitamins without resorting to pills. :suicide:

I am not totally vegetarian although I'd like to be. I love meats and fish but like you, for ethical reasons want to be vegetarian. I would suggest you don't change your diet overnight. Do it slowly or your body might suddenly miss some of the nutrients it is used to. Take vitamins to compensate. Many might say that you can get all the vitamins from vegetables but it might take a while for a carnivore's body to adjust. I am 6 foot, 3 inch and have quite a large frame. I find it difficult being a vegetarian and feel anaemic when I stay a veggie for long periods. I mostly eat a Mediterranean diet rich in veg and salads, lots of olive oil, etc. and mostly eat fish when it is not vegetables and salads.

I'm vegetarian. At first for jokes, now mainly for lifestyle and because it helps with my running regime. And I can't afford to buy meat lol

But I will have dairy products and can eat nuts

A large proportion of my diet is made up of wheat and bran cereals (none of that sugary rubbish they market towards children). My current FOTM is Dorset Cereals and their fruit & fibre and muesli range. Delish. And fruit. Lots of it

If liked more vegetables (and garlic) and had more will power I would have gone veggie years ago. So you have my upmost respect in giving it a go.

All the vegetarians I know stink of garlic almost all the time!

If liked more vegetables (and garlic) and had more will power I would have gone veggie years ago. So you have my upmost respect in giving it a go.

All the vegetarians I know stink of garlic almost all the time!

I'm almost a carnivore and I have garlic with most meat that isn't presented in its pure form; if I'm having chops, steak or a roast I just prefer the flavour of the meat itself. With something more mixed I will almost always have garlic. I take no garlic with fish either.

Garlic is horrible and I will not have it. I blame television chefs for encouraging people to sprinkle it in like its going out of fashion

I tried it for 8 months or so, but was finally confounded by vegetarian Kryptonite - BACON.

Don't know why it is, but many vegetarians will say it is bacon they miss or crave, I know I did.

Now I'm fully omnivorous again, I hardly touch it.

Quorn has a lot of protein etc in it, that's what a lot of vegetarians I know use to get their requirements.
Can't stand the stuff myself though, terrible excuse for a replacement, what's worse is some people swear that it tastes the same... :rolleyes:

I'm not sure it's a good idea for you to go vegetarian, whatever the ethical or moral thinking. You say you already have a nut allergy. By this I presume you mean peanuts. As peanuts are ground nuts, there is a risk if cross-reactivity to other legumes such as beans, peas and lentils. Given that these are key sources of protein for vegetarians, I think you could be putting yourself in danger of having more food allergies in the future. Perhaps you should speak to a dietician to make sure you are getting a nutritious and safe diet.

Personally, I feel that we are meant to eat meat. Our whole body system is designed to cope with a meat-containing diet. That's not to say vegetarianism can't be healthy, of course it can, not least because it makes individuals think a lot more about what they are actually eating. I do admit that I prefer not to think of the source of the meat when I'm eating - particularly sausages :eek:

Anyway, best of luck whatever you decide. :hiya:

Can't stand the stuff myself though, terrible excuse for a replacement
I don't go near frozen "meat free" sausages and burgers

They all really do look like ****

:)

As a convert I do not get it on either side. "Oh but you need meat" is certainly not true :laugh: But buying cheap nasty rubbish just because you now do not eat meat is not necessary either

I've never understood some people who class themselves as vegetarian and then go on to order fish at a restaurant.:suicide:

I mean if you are 'ethically' not eating terrestrial meat then don't you realise that fish suffer far more than anything else in harvesting?:confused:

I don't go near frozen "meat free" sausages and burgers

They all really do look like ****

:)

As a convert I do not get it on either side. "Oh but you need meat" is certainly not true :laugh: But buying cheap nasty rubbish just because you now do not eat meat is not necessary either

Meat free meat is just wrong on so many levels, my ex who was a vege told me that they taste exactly the same as the real thing, I told her that as I currently eat meat and she hasnt for over 8 years that she is clearly mistaken.

But totally I love seeing people argue on the matter of wether meat is necessary or not, i've seen meat eaters get so angry over the fact, spouting out all this stuff about how vege's always get ill etc... nonsense.
On the other hand i've seen vege's say how humans are not designed to eat meat and how it is bad for you.

Both parties can give amusing arguments, I hate any of the "in your face" types of vege's, vegans, meat eaters etc, none of that is necessary, people should have their choice and so be it...

I've never understood some people who class themselves as vegetarian and then go on to order fish at a restaurant.

I mean if you are 'ethically' not eating terrestrial meat then don't you realise that fish suffer far more than anything else in harvesting?

Bill Bailey covered it well... "I'm a vegetarian, I'm not strict. I eat fish... and duck, but they're nearly fish aren't they."

Who says your body needs all that without relying on someone elses information? Please backup this statement

I think all this rubbish about protein, vitamins and minerals is just that rubbish! i have some friends that have been vegan over 30 years and they are as fit as it comes mate and they dont take any of that

But maybe everyones body has a different reaction

The list of vegan and vegetarian food to eat is absolutely endless, i made a chocolate cake a few nights ago all vegan and was fantastic

Check out this website they do some great, great, alternatives to meat

The Redwood Wholefood Company

Last edited:
Is it possible to be a fat vegetarian? :confused:

Most definitely. I not met a fat vegan though. Dairy produce, nuts, seeds and some veg have a high fat content. It is not all that unusual for vegetarians to have off the scale cholesterol and lipid (triglyceride) readings.

To be honest, I've never understood the vegetarians who blame the unethical treatment of animals as their motivation for ditching meat.

If you were to stop eating, using or buying any product that didn't involve some kind of unethical treatment of human beings, you would very quickly limit your lifestyle considerably.

Virtually no branded clothing that doesn't rely on far eastern exploitation

Pretty much any vegetable or fresh food product from a supermarket - where farmers are wrung dry by the buyers to ensure they make virtually no profit.

Lets not even get started on anything that requires oil :rolleyes:

To be honest, I've never understood the vegetarians who blame the unethical treatment of animals as their motivation for ditching meat.

If you were to stop eating, using or buying any product that didn't involve some kind of unethical treatment of human beings, you would very quickly limit your lifestyle considerably.

Pretty much any vegetable or fresh food product from a supermarket - where farmers are wrung dry by the buyers to ensure they make virtually no profit.

What about die-hard fruitarians who only eat fruit that falls naturally by itself :rotfl:
Now they're a bit loopy... :D

Yes i know that but vegetarians and vegans do there part to reduce animal suffering as much as possible and there is only so far you can take it

No one can be 100% but you can do your best

You can get silly about it and say... well what (if) this and that was killed in the making of the bred you are eating and all the rest of it..... i mean it can sometimes get really silly like i said one can only do their best by avoiding all animal products

Personally i don’t care if animals were put here to eat... maybe 10000 years ago that was the only way to survive but today there are so many great alternatives

Can you clarify the question?

Yes you said
But I'd be careful if I was you - your body really does need all the things you find in meat and dairy products, and unless you follow a carefully balanced diet, you coudl make yourself rather ill quite quickly.

I said please backup what you have said without relying on someone elses information as in please give me proof that we need meat?

If we need meat how come going back about 2 years ago there was a program on BBC1 where this guy has been studying vegetarian diets for 20 years and at the end of the study he found no evidence to say vegetarians are unhealthy against meat eaters

I said please backup what you have said without relying on someone elses information as in please give me proof that we need meat?

How would this be possible? Your 'counter-argument' is based on someone elses information. Pretty much everything we collectively 'know' as a society is based on someone elses information.

Personally i don't care if animals were put here to eat... maybe 10000 years ago that was the only way to survive but today there are so many great alternatives

Actually it is considered that our digestive system was not designed for meat, nor our teeth, it is assumed that it was by necessity that we started to eat meat because of hard times of vegetation etc...
Hence the whole appendix thing - so we could digest grass...

Ironically the episode of South Park that's on at the moment is the vegetarian one, the little baby cow is eating beef jerky and Cartman is calling anyone who doesn't eat meat a "p word" :D

How would this be possible? Your 'counter-argument' is based on someone elses information. Pretty much everything we collectively 'know' as a society is based on someone elses information.

Maybe we have to do our own biology studies into the matter to satisfy his requirements...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom