1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to the cinema becoming an intorallable expereince!!!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by GalacticaActual, Aug 10, 2004.

1. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Well just been to see spidey 2 at the local uci cinema.

Price for admision 2 adults £13.00

Ice cream , pop corn ect WAAAAAAAYYYYYY over priced!!!!!

Kids in the cinema talking all the way through the film!!
    I spoke to them politly (I guess they were over 12 as no adult was there!) other cinema goers spoke to them, a memmber of staff was complained to, nothing was done!!.

People still arriving once the film had started. Now I always get to the cinema at least 10 mins before the film time that has been listed . You then get atleast another 10 mins of trailers and adverts before the movie starts, but people still manage to walk in late!!!!!!

Crackling sound and brightness flickeing during the film. If it was a dvd it would have gone back!!. I was the only one to get out of my seat and complain about this.

Now dont get me wrong. I love movies. I know that if people did not go to see movies in the cinema then the industry as a whole would be in trouble. Perhaps some of you could suggest a set of rules for cinema goers(some people still leave there mobile phones on!!!!)that would make the cinema experince a happy one.

Rant over :D

2. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Feel the same way. With the kids on hols going to the movies is a waste of time. Best time I like is fri afternoon when it's just me and a few students.

3. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,488
    Best time I have always found is Friday or Sat nights about 8/9pm. Never had any trouble with kids so far at these times.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    I have to say although I have condemned kids in the past the last 2 times I have been they have been very well behaved. One I thought I would have trouble with was a young one sitting through Return of the King without a whisper or getting up out of his seat, although the person I went with said they could hear one talking, asking his parent what was going on.

And last week I went to see Spider-Man2 and there was about 10 in as it was a early performance and one was just to the back of me to one side and I said to him jokingly no kicking me in the back. I do not know if I scared him :D or he could see I was joking but he was a good as gold as were all the others. :smashin:

The worst one seem I have seen are the mid to late teens in gangs with members of the opposite sex and instead of watching the film or doing what they do on the back row, end up acting like prats showing off.

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    ITs not just kids that bother me/ no strike that, it is kids but the ones that dont seem to be able to grasp the concept of what the cinema is for ie prating about instead of watching the movie. I have a little boy. I dont want him to miss out on going to the cinema, but I intend to make sure he knows how to behave when he goes there!

Late commers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

Now I know that some times it cant be helped, traffick ect, but turning up 5 to 10 mins in to the film is just not exceptable ,especially when they decide to go past me to sit down, or worse still decide to sit right in front of me in only a half full cinema !!!!!! :eek:

6. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Late commers??? lol,
    I only ever go into the cinema late, though before the film starts so i can pick a place were i wont be able to here anyone else talking or munching sweets, does'nt always work though went to see Taking Lives there were only about 20 people in a 200 seater cinema so i picked a couple of good seats thinking there would be no one else in, Hey presto the next 2 bloody people to come in,(when it had started) and guess what,, we were in there seats :laugh: :laugh: offered to move but they seen the funny side also and sat in the middle of nowhere like us. I find older 50+ people talk more in the films for some reason if the films good normally the keep quiet.

7. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Im asian, and so is my girlfriend, occasionaly i go to see the odd bollywood film, its a compromise for all the Japansese and other films to my taste i've taken her it makes sense to see the odd one.
    Anyway if you've heard the term of 'indian timing' you'll know that indians are notorous for turning up late, esp the older ones, last film i saw (bollywood) in Uxbridge a couple of months ago I saw ppl turning up an hour into the film! I was flabbergasted and also annoyed at the sheer ignorance of the ppl who did turn up late, what did they come to watch a whole film or a clip??

8. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,255
    The worse expirence i have had a the pictures was with a couple in there 30's.After about 20mins he started to tell her what he was going to do to her later.After about 10 mins of this i pointed out to him if he never shut up it would be along time before he managed to do anything like that again.

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I dont see the point in paying money to watch a movie and then buggering about inside the cinema once the film starts. Mind you, with some movies I have seen, perhaps listening to a couple talking dirty is spmetimes more interesting than whats on the screen!

10. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +866
    add to the above, the people who constantly check the time on their glowing phone screens (during the film).

11. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Must be one of the reasons why DVD is so popular, going to the movies has become less of an experiance and more of a chore. For me I do tend to go for the big blockbusters and then just wait for the other stuff to come out on dvd. A movie like LOTR has to be seen on the big screen but somthing like Lost in translation gains very little from the big screen.

12. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    HI,

I seem to recall this discussion coming-up about a few years ago, when "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" came out. The reason being, that I complained about some kids arsing about, and got a bit of ridicule from some people on the forum, who were obviously parents, because I said that kids should learn to respect what cinema is all about.

Anyway, I'm certain that I came up with a set of "Pooch's Multiplex" cinema guidelines, which went something like this: (in no particular order).

1) No latecomers. If a film is advertised as starting at 7:30pm, then the doors are locked at 7:30pm, and no one gets entry! Period! If you're too lazy to get here on time, then it's tough luck!

2) No under-18's at anytime, even for kids films! Sorry, but I've had too many experiences with kids (of all ages) not knowing what the film was about; talking throughout a film; chomping on sweets and slurping drinks; kicking chairs; generally arsing about, and I'm sick of them. If they want to do this, they can bloody well wait for the DVD or video release, and do it at home, rather than annoying me or other cinemagoers. Anyway, a lot of kids nowadays just don't give cinema the same respect, that mine (and previous) generations did!

3) No alcoholics, drunks or stone-heads! After 11pm, if you've just left a pub and want to go see a late-night screening, then tough-luck, unless you're totally sober, and not reeking of Guiness or Diamond Ice!

4) All mobile phones, pagers, et al, to be handed in at the entrance - no exceptions! If you are on-call, then you need to learn to use the "vibrate-only" function on your phone or pager. If you can't do something that simple, then you don't deserve to be coming into my cinema! (If I were the owner, of such a place!)

5) Customers would be free to bring in their own food and drink, but nothing too stinky (kebabs), messy (large pizza), or noisy (peanuts and other chompy foods)! We would sell food/drink, and at reasonable prices. None of the normal overpriced cack you get nowadays, like blinking "Pick N Mix"!

6) All rubbish to be taken with you, or placed in a nearby rubbish container. If you leave crap around, you're barred for a month! (Bodily contents, - I'm sure you know what I mean here - will mean an automatic lifetime ban!)

7a) All cinemgoers would need to "join" the cinema, before being admitted. That way, I would know who you were, and could track down lost property etc to the rightful owners.

7b) As all cinemagoers would be registered, handing in mobile phones at entry, would simply mean showing your ID card to get it back! It would also mean, everyone gets to book tickets for their favourite seats!

8) We would show banned and uncensored films, but to over-21's only (as is required under UK Cinema Club guidelines).

9) No crappy films! If you want to see the latest Steven Segal movie, go to your local ABC or Odeon. Ditto with some of the junk that Disney release!

10) Cinemagoers would learn to appreciate the fact that not all good films come from the USA. Hence, World and Alternative Cinema would be a big thing!

11) Oh, and no idiots! :rotfl:

What do you all think so far? Do you agree or disagree with my rules?! Let me know, via this thread. Should cinemas have a set of rules, to which people should abide by?

Pooch

13. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    You'd ban yourself from your own cinema? :eek:

You left yourself wide open for that one mate! :laugh:

14. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,688
    you forgot 12

12 . Anything else I might think of :smashin:

15. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Make more sense than the one's Moses got.

16. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I always turn up late to a showing because I cannot stand to watch 15minutes of adverts before the film and I am never overly bothered on watching trailers. Never turn up late for the start of the film tho :p

I usually go and see films once they have been out for a while and at odd times, usually works out ok then.

17. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    ok do i agree with the rules posted by poochjd.

1)yes like the no late commers rule although actually locking the doors might be a health and safty issue!!!.

2)no under 18s? well yes but perhaps only after 8pm after all family and childerens films do bring in the money!

3)no alchol or stone heads. YES good idear but how would you test for it and not up set potential customers?

4) yes!!!!!!

5)yes!!!!!!!

6)yes

7)yes

8)yes

9) I like steven seagal!!!!!! what constitutes a crappy film, would you have the say it what was good and bad? how would you judge them?

10) yes!!

11)again a good idear but would people be required to take an I.Q test before they joined???

:)

18. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think they should have just 'adult only' showings for all films, irrespective of the films rating. They do this at local swimming pools and seems to work ok.

19. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    1) No latecomers. If a film is advertised as starting at 7:30pm, then the doors are locked at 7:30pm, and no one gets entry! Period! If you're too lazy to get here on time, then it's tough luck!
    Tropuble is POOCH that when the advertise a film starting at 7.30 it never does, i timed my cinemas adverts at 25 mins, how many times do we need to here Tom Jones in the bloody annoying icecream advert.

20. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Fully agree with that statement.

Went to see 'I, Robot' with my wife on Monday night. Newish local cinema, but it quite literally stank, the floors were sticky and the seats were filthy. Subwoofers were knackered and kept on distorting, and there was of course the noisy kids. Cinema tickets were £3.95 each, but the 'large' tubs (that's THREE scoops...) of Ben and Jerry's ice cream were £3.40 each - so that's over £15 for the 'experience'. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, there is one exception in Edinburgh: The Dominion. It's about £12, but you do get the following:
    • Reclining, electric chair with footrest and side table
    • Glass of wine or beer
    • Small tub of Pringles
    • An interval halfway though the film
    :thumbsup:

21. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    Yes they should have a IQ test then they would not be bothered with Steven Seagal films. :lease:

Only joking :laugh: he and I have birthdays on the same day (although it may be a dubious honour :rolleyes: ) and think someone up there made a mistake and Kelly LeBrock should have been mine not his not unless there saving Famke for me :cool:

22. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wouldn't want the interval, but the rest sounds great, are kids allowed though?

23. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi Again,

Well, I was actually referring to this rule, if I were the manager of a cinema. (I wouldn't physically lock the doors, but I would bar entry to late-comers.) I know most cinemas do show ads and trailers before a movie, but I still think that if a movie is scheduled to start at 7:30pm, with or without ads and trailers, people should be courteous enough to turn-up on time, moreso if the house lights hav gone down! If you went to the theatre or opera, and turned-up later than the start, you often won't get let in at all!

As for my rule about no idiots, again, without meaning to sound patronising, I was meaning it in the context of no one p*ssing about. If kids/adults are generally messing about before they enter the cinema, chances are high they will do the same in the cinema.

And with the IQ thing, maybe that's not a bad idea! :smashin:

Lastly, with regards to no crap films - there are some films that are universally derided; the type of film that absolutely no one with even the slightest taste in cinema, would be willing to waste their hard-earned on! I'm not talking about films that are not-too-good, or even films that are so-bad-they're-good. I'm talking about the absolute stinkers. The bete-noirs! The ones that make cow excrement appear like a bunch of red roses in full-bloom.

"Thunderbirds" is pretty dire. Most Steven Seagal films are dire. Ditto with a lot of Jean-Claude Van Damme's and Sly Stallone's recent offering. A lot of Disney's recent output has been below par for them. I know that what makes a good film or a bad film is subjective to everyone. I guess what I meant, was that I wouldn't show the absolute worst of the worst, just because it's a new release. Imagine, the likes of having to waste a whole week's worth of screenings, with something like "Parting Shots", for example.

That's the kind of "bad" cinema I'm talking about. Not the Ed Wood's of this world, or the John Waters.

Any other rules, other than the catch-all one of: "The management reserves right to amend, modify or alter these rules at any time, for any reason, and to use them against anyone, for any purpose whatsoever!" :rotfl:

Pooch

24. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I went to see Spider-Man 2 the other week and after telling the little :censored: to be quiet politely and then having to complain to the staff who then did nothing. My friend had to phyically restrain me and drag me out of the cinema. If he hadn't there would have been bodies flying everywhere and blood running down the walls :devil:

Point is, someone one day may well actually go off on one and do something nasty because of these little turds. Who's fault will it be then?

I think the cinema staff should just chuck em out if they start causing a disturbance. If necessary the police should be involved, its no different to Anti-social behaviour on housing estates.

25. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    So if anyone at all wants to get out of there seat when the adverts are on for the toilet you would'nt let them, but of course the doors are well and truly locked so whats the point. :suicide: All so you can enjoy those brilliant ads wev'e all seen a hundred times before.Obviously you aren't a cinema manager or for that matter a H&SE inspector, perhaps we could all sit on electric chairs and if anyone talks===zap,all so you can enjoy the ads!
    Cinemas should be a bit more curteous and tell people when the film starts and not the adverts then you could watch them all by yourself ahhhh bliss!! :laugh: :confused:

26. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Kids have too much money these days. Thats one of the problems.

Went to see I, Robot at the weekend and about 5mins into the film 10 teenagers came in and sat right down the front.

They then precedded to muck about, laugh, snigger, use mobile phones, throw abuse back at the single voice that told them to 'Shut the hell up'.

After about another 30 mins of this they all got up and walked out, never to return.

Now this was the Odeon in Glasgow and at 5.70 for a adult ticket they must earn too much money to walk out without even watching it.

I know that if I pay me's money i'll stay there to the bitter end, no matter how :censored: it is (see Batman and Robin)

p.s. I, Robot :clap: :clap: :clap:

27. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,372
    That is one thing I dont understand, considering how much tickets cost nowadays how can they afford to just come in and muck around with no intention to watch the film, is it just the parents giving them the money for the tickets to get rid of them for a few hours?

I rarely ever go to the cinema anymore for exactly the reasons stated in this thread, if I want to see a film I either wait for it to come out on dvd or I go see it at the first showing on the first day when the school holidays are not on. I find there are usually only about 10 people in the cinema and you can be sure they are there to watch the film otherwise they wouldnt be there that early.

To be fair though its not always kids, I went and saw Alien Directors Cut on release day last year and there wasent a person under 18 there but there was one hell of a mouthy woman down the front who just wouldnt shut up. All she did through the entire film was moan to her husband/boyfriend how **** the film was and that she wanted to go home, after he told her to shut up she opened up a plastic bag and emptied everything in it onto the floor then started to kick stuff towards the screen. I think everyone in the cinema was about to walk out and complain when the guy grabbed her by the arm and took her outside, never saw them again. Now that is how a trip to the cinema can be ruined for everyone, if they hated the film so much why didnt they just walk out in the first place instead of ruining it for everyone :mad:

28. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    And another thing!!!

I went to the cinema a few years ago for an early showing of starwars episode 2.I was the only one in there. a cinema of over 500 seats and the only one there. bliss!!! But just as the blooming film was about to start a man sat right in front of me. Out of all the seats he sat right in front of me. Now the guy was quite tall and so ,as the cinema was empty I moved. this was not ment to be an insult to the gentleman and I did not complian or make any comments towards him as I did. As I moved he uttered under his breath Raceist bast :censored: d .I am not you know, really I am not and I only moved because he was in the way, It made me feel quite uncomfortable but I did not say anything back to avoid an argument. Any way half way through the film he got up and left and did not come back. A very starange experince indeed!!!

29. Promised Land

Promised Land
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually stopped going to the cinema for years,precisely for many of the reasons stated here.Anyway,a few months ago a mate started driving(no car of my own) to a "local"(nearly 30 miles away)Vue(formerly Warner Village)cinema.It's on one of those out of town retail parks,so you need transport to get there.We generally watch films on a Thursday night,around the 9pm time slot and it's sheer bliss!No kids to contend with and the adults behave as such,I assume because it actually takes some effort to get there.I still wouldn't go back to using the independent's,which is a real shame.

30. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    I've had mixed experiences the last half dozen times I've been.

ROTK: hopeless. Kids going for a pee, talking, munching crisps, noisy sweet bags etc

Spidey 2: almost as bad + kid whumping me in the back (till I told him to quit it)

But saw a few movies at a big cinema off Deansgate in Manchester. Superb place, fantastic sound and went there for the afternoon matinee. Much cheaper prices and practically empty - and this on a Saturday!.

Moral of this whole thread? Pick your films/venues/times with care and it's bliss.

But 5.00pm + Saturday afternoon + watching long 12 rated film = nightmare

Chris