going to standby loses sky+ planner

A

ApocalypseCow

It's not *every* time, but when I put the Sky+ box on after it's been on standby I can't access the Sky+ planner. When I try , I get the "please wait" message constantly and the only way to remedy seems to be a reboot, which is pretty annoying.

I searched around but couldn't find anyone reporting similar problems, is it just me or is this a known fault ( hopefully with a solution that isn't "don't put it on standby" ;) )

ive also noticed this, even on 2 different sky+ boxes (current one is a 80 gig version) and across software versions, ive noticed this happening occasionally...

2 easy workarounds though; power off at wall, and power on seems to clear it ... or leave the box on constantly

yea that's what I figured, the only reason it goes onto standby is that the new AV cabinet I've got for it is a little more enclosed than the old one and there's a worry it will overheat if it's on 24/7 (they do get pretty hot...) :(

I think you've just answered your own question!

Maybe it is overheating, even though it's in standby. I don't know if all Sky+ boxes do this, but the HDD in mine runs continuously, even in standby. With the HDD, tuners, modem, CPU and PSU running all the time, I don't suppose it uses much more power when switched on.

The symptoms sound to me like a HDD fault, probably it's too hot.

I hope that's not the case as it was doing this before we had the new cabinet :( thing will just get worse if that's the case...

I was hoping it was related to the playback skipping problem we've been having but I've read other threads on here and it seems like a common problem. ah well, good old sky+ - when it works, it's great. :)

I got Sky+ last week and my box has done this about 4 times now (on average every 2-3 days); my friend also expericenes the same.

What make do you have? I have the Amstrad.

This is my first post and I had really hoped it would be a positive one, but it's not….

I had my Sky+ box installed on Sunday and until this morning I had no problems with it. It appears to be a brand new Amstrad PV3 as part of a £99 upgrade. I was reading posts on this forum before getting my Sky+ and when I saw what make it was I did have a some concerns. I encountered the same problem today as detailed in this thread.

I was out last night and had five programs recorded (Well that's what it is for after all..!) and after breakfast this morning I though I better check they all worked ok. When I tried to get into the Sky+ planner it just displayed the “please wait” message constantly. But when I eventually got bored of waiting and hit the Sky button on the remote I got the briefest (Half a second maybe) of looks at the planner before it displayed my last selected Sky channel. So I know they all worked it just I can't get at them.

I have some questions which I hope someone can answer.

Is this just an Amstrad PV3 problem?
Or is it a general software problem?
Is the only way to fix the problem really to power off the box?

Thanks in advance to everyone. I'm going to call the Sky engineer tonight anyway as he left me his mobile number and said to call him direct if I have any problems in the first thirty days. Really nice helpful bloke he was.

Try power resetting the box; it could be that they failed to record. This has happened to me a few times, i've got the Amstrad too but not sure if its related exclusivley to that box or not.

Do you mean just turning the power off at the mains and back on again?
Strange that the engineer said to call him first rather than Sky but others on this forum have had the same request…

to live with this problem, ive just left the sky+ box "on" for the past week or so, and since its in a well ventilated place, ive not had any issues with it overheating, making strange noises or failing to record any programmes.

since ive nothing further to record until 9pm tonight, i made a point of switching the box off again last night, so im interested to see how it behaves when i return home. speaking to work colleagues, they think it may be related to the spinning up/down of the disk, certainly going by the noises the thing makes i can see why they think this ...

Yeah i just pull the power cable out of the back of the box for about 30 seconds then back in again.

It's at the point where i need to verify that Sky+ is working before i record anything (You can tell as you get the "please wait" or pause/rewind doesn't work and you can't get to the planner!).

Last night i was going to record 1/2 of the Simpsons i'd been watching and watch The Apprentice but the box needed reset which was a real pain in the a$$ so i had to leave it!:mad:

GavTNewbie said:
to live with this problem, ive just left the sky+ box "on" for the past week or so, and since its in a well ventilated place, ive not had any issues with it overheating, making strange noises or failing to record any programmes.

since ive nothing further to record until 9pm tonight, i made a point of switching the box off again last night, so im interested to see how it behaves when i return home. speaking to work colleagues, they think it may be related to the spinning up/down of the disk, certainly going by the noises the thing makes i can see why they think this ...

Yeah i meant to say that this only happens when you put the box into standby (which i always do!) i'll maybe have to reconsider this!

I've been having the same problems on my 3 week old Amstrad Sky+ box, it seems to be happening more and more regularly - it's getting to be almost 50/50 as to weather I can get to the planner now and I'm pretty sure it's not an over heating problem as the box is well ventilated.

To add to this in the past week or so it's failing on more and more recordings whether it's on standby or not. 3 recordings failed last night! :mad:

Well I unplugged the box left it for about thirty seconds plugged it back in. I can now get into the planner and at least one of my programs from last night is ok! Haven’t watched the others yet.

I hope I don’t have to ‘reboot’ it anytime soon…

unsurprisingly, when i switched the box on again from standby (after switching the box off for the first time in about a week) i couldnt access my planner or record any programs, where i would see the usual "please wait" banner :mad: a quick switch off and on at the wall fixed this :nono:

ill be keeping this box permanently on now, and just keeping an eye on temperatures and the like, but after 3 other replacement sky+ boxes (where the problems were related to other issues, like constantly 'returning to standby' of its own accord and failing to record programmes), i simply cant be @rsed with the hassle of getting it swapped out again - that is until i can get my hands on a Sky+ HD box ... dear santa... i want the world cup in HD... :lease:

GavTNewbie said:

I’m probably going to regret posting this but since I powered my box off and back on it’s been ok.
The planner comes up every time and by recordings have all been fine. I’ve been really sad and listening to the drive spinning up and down when it gets put back into standby. After doing this I then realized that when I had the problem the other day it was constantly spinning the drive. Where as now it is completely silent.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom