Going to demo some sub's which blu-ray should i take for reference?

nugget2014

Wanting to take a couple BR's and CD's to listen to both types on both ported and sealed subs to get an idea of what they sound like which blu-ray's should i take to reference from the following of my collection: (still growing slowly)

Hunger games:Catching Fire
Man of Steel
Jurassic park
Transformers
Elysium
Iron man
Pacific Rim

CD's not sure what i'll take want to find some good fast bass and see how well the sealed sub manages with it.

Maybe Chase and status, example. Will.i.am's album also have couple songs with amazing bass or something more calm such as ellie goulding!

The subs i'll be testing are the wharfedale diamond sw150 and the B&W ASW610 so i can see how good ported and sealed both are. that will probably be the decider if i was to get the ported BK monolith, SVS PB-1000 or the XXLS400(sadly the SVS SB-2000 is out of my budget and the SB-1000 is beaten by the XXLS400 i heard)

mainaman

Take Elysium and Transformers,if you want subterranean bass.

Catching Fire,Man of Steel and Pacific Rim have loads of bass(actually the first one doesnt),but generally nothing below 30Hz.But the subs you will be auditioning dont go below 30Hz,i think.If you want to have a sub that does the Mono is the only sub that fits your budget.

With that in mind MoS and PR have the most bass heavy scenes.

nugget2014

Take Elysium and Transformers,if you want subterranean bass.

Catching Fire,Man of Steel and Pacific Rim have loads of bass(actually the first one doesnt),but generally nothing below 30Hz.But the subs you will be auditioning dont go below 30Hz,i think.If you want to have a sub that does the Mono is the only sub that fits your budget.

With that in mind MoS and PR have the most bass heavy scenes.
i think i'll take PR, not sure about elysium and transformers as i dont know what scenes are the best for bass. wish godzilla was out already so i could demo that! i'll take elysium anyway and couple CD's. still trying to decide between XXLS400 and monolith :/ i'll see how the b&w ASW1000 does for movies as the xxls400 can only be better

Steve N

Distinguished Member
Best advice I can give is to take something you are really familiar with.
It'll make it easier to make comparisons and assessments.

gingerone

War of the world's, the scene where the alien emerges is a superb test of a sub. When he picks the bit of rock up and flinches you should feel the bass, you can't hear it but with a decent sub you should feel it.
A decent sub will make it feel as if the floor is lifting up and down when the alien emerges.
If it doesn't do that, save your money and buy a monolith ;-)

nugget2014

War of the world's, the scene where the alien emerges is a superb test of a sub. When he picks the bit of rock up and flinches you should feel the bass, you can't hear it but with a decent sub you should feel it.
A decent sub will make it feel as if the floor is lifting up and down when the alien emerges.
damn i don't have war of the world at my collection. i'll have to re-buy it then! sure i can find it for a couple pound on ebay :) if the b&w asw610 or 610XP doesnt do this then i'll probably just leave there and then lol

Sessen Ryu

I would agree to take something you're very familiar with. I would also take bluray music concerts, or music SACDs.

MemX

Check out the data-bass.com forum's list of movies (with graphs) to see the 5-star movies that have full bandwidth content that will really challenge any sub :)

Music wise I would take what you like to listen to you mostly, I reckon - then you will know if it suits your tastes :)

nugget2014

i demo'd the dali E12F and the cambridge audo aero 9 subwoofers today. the sealed cambridge audio sounded better for movies and music than the dali! so sealed category is winning me over so far. does this mean i'll prefer the xxls400 over the monolith i wonder.. think the xxls400 is better for movies than the dali? im guessing the monolith will be way better than the dali..
Check out the data-bass.com forum's list of movies (with graphs) to see the 5-star movies that have full bandwidth content that will really challenge any sub :)

Music wise I would take what you like to listen to you mostly, I reckon - then you will know if it suits your tastes :)
checked website but cant find it :/ could you link?

mainaman

The movies are in the forum section of the site.

KRW

Myself, I always use the lobby scene from The Matrix. An oldie but a goodie and quite a complex piece. You've got the music and the gunfire in the mix which should all be quite distinct and not muddy, and that bit right at the end where a tile falls off the wall. Then, a few seconds later, you've got the elevator scene. All Sub gold.

TheLethalOne

I would not waste your time and money buying a SUB which can do something which happens 0.1% of the time.

Buy something that does 30-80hz really well and enjoy it's performance a large portion of the time.

I would imagine you would get better 30-80hz performance for that money than the monolith, which is a solid SUB no doubt, but, geared towards reaching down low at higher SPL rather than accurate 30-80hz reproduction - all depends what you want from your bass, trick is finding that out first, and that, my friend, is the hardest part of choosing a SUB.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with having a SUB capable of reproducing down there, but to have one which can do both be prepared to up your budget significantly, for a cheap SUB to produce higher SPL 'down low' corners need to be cut, compromises made, again, find out what you want, demo is the trick with familiar material.

good luck.

Ianb76

i demo'd the dali E12F and the cambridge audo aero 9 subwoofers today. the sealed cambridge audio sounded better for movies and music than the dali! so sealed category is winning me over so far. does this mean i'll prefer the xxls400 over the monolith i wonder.. think the xxls400 is better for movies than the dali? im guessing the monolith will be way better than the dali..

checked website but cant find it :/ could you link?
I wonder if the subs were set up correctly ;)
I've compared both and the Dali E12F IMHO is a much better sub than the Aero 9.
I know the Aero 9 goes much deeper and is on paper more powerful, but felt the Dali complimented the main speakers better.

MemX

for a cheap SUB to produce higher SPL 'down low' corners need to be cut, compromises made, again, find out what you want, demo is the trick with familiar material.
'Cheap' is a word that has negative connotations, I think 'lower budget' is perhaps a better choice of words :)

It is indeed true that all subs are compromises in some way, though, so audition really is the only way to really see what you like :)

nugget2014

I would not waste your time and money buying a SUB which can do something which happens 0.1% of the time.

Buy something that does 30-80hz really well and enjoy it's performance a large portion of the time.

I would imagine you would get better 30-80hz performance for that money than the monolith, which is a solid SUB no doubt, but, geared towards reaching down low at higher SPL rather than accurate 30-80hz reproduction - all depends what you want from your bass, trick is finding that out first, and that, my friend, is the hardest part of choosing a SUB.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with having a SUB capable of reproducing down there, but to have one which can do both be prepared to up your budget significantly, for a cheap SUB to produce higher SPL 'down low' corners need to be cut, compromises made, again, find out what you want, demo is the trick with familiar material.

good luck.
so your telling me the monolith is not the best sub i can buy for movies at my budget of around £450? it seems unlikely..

nugget2014

I wonder if the subs were set up correctly ;)
I've compared both and the Dali E12F IMHO is a much better sub than the Aero 9.
I know the Aero 9 goes much deeper and is on paper more powerful, but felt the Dali complimented the main speakers better.
demo'd at richer sounds so i am guessing they were set up correctly as the deputy manager was the one who assisted me. they both sounded the same to me as that was my first time of demoing a sub but the aero was better for music and for movies they sounded the same tbh

marty1

I think for your budget the Monolith is a great choice. I went from small sealed that was good to 32HZ to a Monolith and my eyes were opened, there were sound effects in movies that I had never heard before, just took it to a whole new dimension :)

Sealed subs are better in my opinion if you are looking for tight, musical, punchy bass but you would be looking at more money in order to get an impact with movies like the Monolith.

Having said that music still sounded pretty good with the Mono :smashin:

Marty

MemX

If you can, arrange for an in-home demo - only then will you get an idea what it sounds like when interacting with your room.

You should also consider going secondhand, some of the SVS ported subs offer ridiculous low end output down to around 16Hz, and while not the tightest or loudest at bass-drum-kick frequencies, cope perfectly adequately and put a smile on your face!

TheLethalOne

so your telling me the monolith is not the best sub i can buy for movies at my budget of around £450? it seems unlikely..
This is immensely vague and I am fully against the whole SUB for movies SUB for music thing, you either want the source reproduced accurately or you don't.

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
This is immensely vague and I am fully against the whole SUB for movies SUB for music thing, you either want the source reproduced accurately or you don't.
A music only sub is often less demanding of the lowest frequencies whereas you might reasonably trade off transient response for depth in a film only sub. Hence in principle i completely agree but in practice, and especially at this price range, I think it makes a lot of sense to focus on what you intend to use it for (albeit there are all sorts of film soundtracks so it is still vague).

nugget2014

A music only sub is often less demanding of the lowest frequencies whereas you might reasonably trade off transient response for depth in a film only sub. Hence in principle i completely agree but in practice, and especially at this price range, I think it makes a lot of sense to focus on what you intend to use it for (albeit there are all sorts of film soundtracks so it is still vague).
think i'll just go for the monolith for movie enjoyability. music still sounds fine for me without using the sub on a 2.0 stereo with my zensor 3's. stocking up on blu rays now :)

KRW

I'm using the high level input for music with my monolith, for 2.0 sources, and it sounds just dandy. I've not put it through it's paces properly and still fine tuning it but it's working very well. Just set the high level gain low so it's just under the speaker level and be careful with the crossover setting.