1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to demo Quad L series - what else should I be trying

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ant_blk, Jun 23, 2005.

1. ant_blk

ant_blk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going to demo Quad L series - what else should I be trying?

Booked for a demo session on Saturday morning. I’m looking for speakers to complement a Marantz SR8500 amp. I like an open, airy sound, want to forget the speakers are there. Music takes priority over movies. Not interested in waking the dead with bass, the higher frequencies are very important, going to demo violin music to test this aspect. Your suggestions would be appreciated.

2. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What price range are you working in? Or should I say, how much can you spend?

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Good question that (on the budget I mean) :)

I'd also suggest - aside from the Quads - looking at PMC...the DB1+'s are lovely speakers with a fantastic top end. However....are you pairing whatever speakers you buy with a sub?

4. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Give the monitor audios a go - I have the old Silver S6 and love them ,the new stuff is meant to be quite good!

5. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The Epos range is well worth auditioning. Very clean and apparently uncoloured sound. No sign of cabinet resonances or boominess and outstanding clarity.

6. ant_blk

ant_blk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some great suggestions. Budget is £2000. The sub that I already own is the Celestion S8 downward firing 100W.

7. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I may, I would like to suggest the Wharfedale Opus 1 or Opus 2 (depending on what price you can get the Opus 2 for). I have the Opus 2 and violin music is simply breath-taking.

You may also want to look into Proac, although, I have no idea what their price ranges may be.

8. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I have a full set of Ruark speakers. They aren't mentioned mutch on these forums, but they offer a very energetic listen without being brash. Cabinets are wonderful and the Dialogue II centre is one of the best I have heard. For your information, I chose the Ruarks (Etude/Dialogue and Epilogue) over the Quad 12L/Centre package.

Russell

9. umboppa

umboppa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing else. Took me nearly 2 years of comparisons to decide on the Quads. Once broken in (which takes a while) nothing matches them for the price. Nearest equivalent is the Totem Staffs, which are affordable here in Canada but ridiculously expensive in the UK. Make sure you demo properly broken-in speakers.

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In a recent What Hifi speaker shootout the Ruark Sabre 3 at £899 per pair came out top dog beating such luminaries as AVI Pro-Nine-Plus, Dynaudio 52SE, Epos M22, PMC GB1, Quad 22L and Spendor S3e as well as a couple of others so it would seem that these Ruark's should definately be on the demo list

11. mr_seanstanley

mr_seanstanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    A lot of very different sounding speakers put forward there. The epos speakers may suit you but i found the treble was unnaturally bright. Very nice taught bass though. As for proac i would stay away from the studio 125s (now 130 cost around £1000) if you aren't looking for massive bass. The bass these kick out is really thumpy. Spendors may be ones to consider, the treble is quite restrained but not to the point where they sound dull. they have a nice natural tone which works very well with acoustic music. for £2000 there are a few models in their range you could go for.

12. ant_blk

ant_blk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    O.K. The dealer didn't have all of the recommendations. I auditioned the Quad 22L and PMC GB1 speakers and didn't like what I heard. I also tried Dynadio Audience 52SE and thought these sounded fantastic. Only trouble is that these are 4 ohm and don't go with the Marantz 8500 which I want, I'd have to get an Arcam AVR300 to pair with these speakers. I'll try some of the other speaker suggestions at a different dealer.

13. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try and get a listen to the new B&W 805S's if music is you're priority these speakers really do sing, the top end is so smooth and the bass is very taught and defined and the midrange just blends in so easily with the rest of it.
    They do take a hell of a long time to break in though and also like alot of power to get the best out of them, but well worth a try and with good stands will take it to approx 2k.

Regards
    John

14. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    What makes you think the Marantz 8500 won't drive them properly? If the 8500 is a high current receiver, and I have no reason to think it isn't, then it will drive 4 ohm speakers fine. I think there is a piece of testing that has to be done in the US that means to label a receiver 4ohm would be more trouble than its worth. So if this is the only reason you are discounting the 8500, think again. Try the Dynaudio's with the receiver and see if the sound hardens as the volume is raised. If it does, then back off the volume and your concerns are proven correct. If the sound continues in the same vein and just gets louder, up to well past average listening volumes, then you are fine with the 8500.

I would also try more than one dealership so that you listen to a wider selection of manufacturers of both receivers for the test above and speakers. I was set on PMC or Epos myself until I heard my Ruarks at a different dealership. Also audition some different types of speaker, too, such as diolar rears, if they are a part of the range, a brace of three centre channels for the front three or smallest bookshelf speakers and two subs.

Russell