Going to buy TZ60 this weekend

Vigmandingo

Established Member
Reaction score
Unless anyone can offer up something better.
I have a panasonic g3 with a number of lenses which is staying and may even get updated to a gx7 for in body stabalisation etc. Need to update the 7 year old compact, and miss the 'superzoom' function of my old fz. As much as i would love to buy an fz 200 it's too bulky for holiday needs. So I think tz60 hits the spot, but i've not looked for ages and there are a number of conflicting reviews regarding PQ over thr sony or canon equivlants. I am not precious about brand and am capable enough to deal with different menu formats. One more thing to consider is if there is a model from last year that isn't considered 'shabby' in comparison. TZ40?

For this kind of camera I don't think you'll go wrong with this. It's nice that it has RAW capability too. Obviously it's only a small sensor but if you want superzoom then this is something you'll struggle to avoid.

About time they did a TZ with RAW and an EVF - would have been nice to see a slightly bigger sensor mind you - does look quite attractive to us TZ owners but £350! way too expensive IMO.

I must admit, not bothered with RAW. This is essentially a holiday camera. EVF is nice, i would miss it as i use it all the time on the g3.
Shotokan - whilst, dare i say, the odd £150 is neither here nor there, at the same time i certainly don't like to throw cash away (having to go on holiday in school holiday dates brings it all into perspective). Can i get a similar experience with sony or canon for a great deal less or is it all a much of a much. No evf, suppose i could consider tz40 and have £150 change???

If you're not interested in RAW then I'd save the money and get the TZ40 - assuming that you don't "need" a viewfinder...

Thanks. Looks like the TZ is the one. I'll look into the 40. What's the 55 all about? I'll get on a comparison site.

not sure of the specifics for this one but "the 5's" are usually trimmed down models so might have no gps and/or no touchscreen and/or lower resolution screen...

BTW there's a TZ40 on the classifieds at the moment...

The TZ60 does look pretty pricey, but I've sen viewfinders for other cameras that are several hundred, so and extra £150 over the TZ40 with the viewfinder, longer reach and newer technology doesn't seem 'that' bad imo.

but those "other cameras" are invariably much better in terms of sensor and IQ and the EVF is usually a totally separate item - a built in EVF should add "that" much IMO - it's not that much more to just buy an m4/3 system

Been looking throughout the day. Going to have a splurge and buy. GX7 to replace g3. I can sell to 20mm pancake as i already have that. For holiday fun and a bit of superzoom i am going for TZ60. Better sensor, more zoom and EVF tipped the balance. Should do me for the next few years.......although always fancied the 45mm macro lens! What's another £300 between friends. Just can 't tell the wife! Thanks to those who contributed!

Been looking throughout the day. Going to have a splurge and buy. GX7 to replace g3. I can sell to 20mm pancake as i already have that. For holiday fun and a bit of superzoom i am going for TZ60. Better sensor, more zoom and EVF tipped the balance. Should do me for the next few years.......although always fancied the 45mm macro lens! What's another £300 between friends. Just can 't tell the wife! Thanks to those who contributed!
Sounds good, enjoy. I just took my DSLR on hol for the first time, but didn't really want to be lugging around/changing lenses so took me short zoom for my DSLR and took my long zoom compact (well my wife took it to use), and it worked well. I only took a couple of zoomed shots so glad I didn't take my telephoto lens.

Perhaps you can do similar, take the m4/3 to get your quality shots, and the TZ for the long range?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom