1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to buy tomorrow -> Denon 2900 or Arcam 88+ ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Captain chaos, Jul 30, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which one do you peeps think I should go for?
    The Arcam or the Denon?
    The Arcam gets a good rep from people here, and other places, yet What Hi Fi gave it only 4 stars out of 5, and said it was just "very good" nothing spectacular.

Then there are people who rave about the Denon 2900 (hometheaterhifi.com) who gave the prog scan top marks, and websites saying it is "the new reference" DVD player.

Which do I choose, I hear the Denon's are less than reliable.

I will be mostly playing Region 1 NTSC disks (prog scan)

Many thanks.

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i cant comment on the denon as never seen that one in action but i got my arcam dv88+ today and think its very good indeed
    a big step up from my progscan philips 962sa
    the picture is very good and the sound is great improvment. havent tried cd yet but i`m told its very good too.

have you had a demo of either

ps. the pause on the arcam is rock solid my philips used to shake a little

3. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Personally, I think the Arcam DV88+ is fantastic. I was on the fence a couple of years back when I was looking to upgrade my player, but in the end I went for a Pioneer DVD.
    When the next upgrade time arrived last year, I bought the Arcam and have not looked back since. As well as a stunning picture, it has totally rejuvenated my interest in just listening to CD’s again.
    The Denon 2800 was on the list, but is not as musical as the DV88+.
    Also Arcam have customer service par excellence.

4. rafaelp

rafaelp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know how it is "across the pond", but over here I would take both home and THEN you can tell us which one you bought and which one you returned.

Sounds like a fun thing to do. When I was deciding a few years ago, it was between the Arcam DV88, Panny RP91, Denon 2800, Philips Q-50 and the Sony 9000ES. Brought them all home (not at the same time) and chose the DV27 (I know it wasn't on my original list).

Looking forward to your report...