Going to build a garage - Help needed

Sandman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have decided to embark on my new project. I am going to build a garage.
I live in a 1970's detached block and brick house. I would like the garage to be attached to the side of the house with the floor level matching the exsiting house floor level. I will be building the garage the entire length of the house so in the future the rear part of the new structure can become a kitchen extension.
Anyway I am pretty handy and spent 3 years working as a site engineer on large civil engineering projects, although I know how to dig and pour founds and slabs I dont know much about residential buildings.
I was thinking about a 450mm wide found but am unsure about the depth it should be. Can anybody help? I will then build the structure with breeze block and clad with facing brick to match the house. I will bring the ground within the garage up to height with type 1 then pour a 150mm (?) slab. Does this sound OK? Also how does the new block/brickwork attach to the existing house brickwork? Does this construction sound ok or am I going down the wrong route altogether. I am good with AutoCAD so once I know the construction method I will draw up plans to submit to the council.
Anyone have any pointers for me?

Hi there

Cant help you with your foundation depth or brick work etc sorry:(

But from what i can remember from my days driving a concrete mixer is to make sure your floor slab will be strong enough for your car. if i remember correctly a C30/20 was what we poured for garage flooors:) and make sure it is poured in one go if not no more than 45 mins between pours or you will get a "cold" joint

hope this helps:thumbsup:

Cheers

Can't help you with the foundations or brickwork either but make sure you are clear on the position in respect of planning permission before you get going. I'm happy to help you out establishing whether or not you need it if you haven't covered this off already - I will need more details though. Drop me a PM if you want to discuss further. :)

Sandman...im a self employed brickie.....so first
do you have a set of drawings done by an architect?
these drawings will have to go to your local council for planning/building control.

These drawings will specify cavity size and everything else that is needed to build the garage in a sound way.

The footings have to dug out a minimum of 1 metre deep, or the same as the existing footings if these are deeper/plus the council building control inspector may specify the depth of the footings.

tying in brick and block work to existing buildings is done by using "crocodile clips"...strips of metal that are drilled into the wall and ties are then clipped into them ,then into the new cavity walls(these are also known as "wall starter kits")

One piece of advice....get in people you know or close friends can vouch for(tradesmen etc) to work on your extension unless you are sure you can do the job to a good standard.

If you need any more help or advice just ask...im on the forums daily...or just pm me

Thanks for the advise so far, it is much appreciated. I will be preparing the drawing myself, I am very experienced using autocad I just need to know the details to put down on paper. Good stuff I have learned already regarding the concrete strength and the join between the old and the new brickwork.
What size should the cavity gap be? Once I have the details and get the drawing done I will post them here. Who knows they may even be of some use to someone.

Go for 600mm x 300 mm foundations and you really cant go wrong,may be of use if another storey is added.

Cavities are 100mm nowadays so 300 mm overall wall thickness.

Garage floors are supposed to be 100mm lower than ffl indoors,may have changed lately as regs change a lot.

Dont know which area you are in.
But if you are considering converting at a later stage, to living accommodation, i would check first to see if you would need a radon sump or else you might have difficulty getting permission. For the change of use.

Im in Devon and all new buildings and extensions have to be built with radon extraction.

Thanks again everyone, I now have enough information to get started on the plans, I will let you know how I get on.
:thumbsup:

Sandman. please get an architect involved! or at the very least get in contact with your council about your plans.An understanding of auto cad will not help in the long run, as there are many other issues to take into consideration...eg sewerage/rain water...fire risk...stress bearing lintols...etc...etc....please dont let your enthusiam blind you to the pitfalls
you may make for yourself

Sandman. please get an architect involved! or at the very least get in contact with your council about your plans.An understanding of auto cad will not help in the long run, as there are many other issues to take into consideration...eg sewerage/rain water...fire risk...stress bearing lintols...etc...etc....please dont let your enthusiam blind you to the pitfalls
you may make for yourself

Second that. At the very least go and see your local planning and building control people: they are unlikely to pass drawings if they don't know the draughtsman.

Dave

Hi all,

I have decided to embark on my new project. I am going to build a garage.
I live in a 1970's detached block and brick house. I would like the garage to be attached to the side of the house with the floor level matching the exsiting house floor level. I will be building the garage the entire length of the house so in the future the rear part of the new structure can become a kitchen extension.
Anyway I am pretty handy and spent 3 years working as a site engineer on large civil engineering projects, although I know how to dig and pour founds and slabs I dont know much about residential buildings.
I was thinking about a 450mm wide found but am unsure about the depth it should be. Can anybody help? I will then build the structure with breeze block and clad with facing brick to match the house. I will bring the ground within the garage up to height with type 1 then pour a 150mm (?) slab. Does this sound OK? Also how does the new block/brickwork attach to the existing house brickwork? Does this construction sound ok or am I going down the wrong route altogether. I am good with AutoCAD so once I know the construction method I will draw up plans to submit to the council.
Anyone have any pointers for me?

Typical domestic founds need to be min 600mm wide and 200mm thick. Check for the depth and type of your existing foundations as the house may be piled or on deep strip founds etc.

If attached to the house and you intend to convert in the future, I'd make sure that the walls are insulated to current Regs standard - 100mm full fill cavity batts should do the trick - you'll only have to do it retrospectively later. Same applies to the floor and roof - do now if possible - save money in the long run. Obviously on the floor with insulation under the slab you'll have to be careful so poss could leave that out and do later....

Slab prep you indicate sounds fine - just make sure you install a damp proof membrane and link that into your damp proof course in the walls - again if a habitable use is proposed later you'll need it.

Make sure your plans are to scale - 1:100 or 1:50 otherwise they'll get thrown back at you.... otherwise, as long as the plans are reasonable I think you'll be ok.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom