going to attempt building my own screen couple of noob questions

shawn

Established Member
Reaction score
hi,

i going to attempt building my own screen,

however i checked the size i want and its 8ft length and 7 ft width,

can u buy blackout material this big? just thought id ask concidering theres a few guys on here made there own,

also being totally useless at woodwork, do i go in and ask for 8ft by 7ft 2x1 battening from b&q ?

many thanks

I am not too sure on the BO material the widest that i saw when i purchased mine was about 5ft or so but i am sure there wouls be a store somewhere that does these sizes.

As for the batons, yes if you go to B&Q they should be able to cut this to size for you. I would also recommend getting a glue gun from there as well so that you can glue all of the wood together, it is neater and easier than nails etc imo.

I take it that you have a 4:3 projector with a screen of these dimensions.

yes its for a 4.3 projector mate.

im just wondering if i can buy the bo material that big before i go to b&q?
no point making it if i cant get the size.

I got my bo material from Dunhelm, if you have one nearby then i would recommend that you give them a try as the wood should be no problem.

Sorry to dive in, but if you are making a 4:3 screen, shouldn't it be 8ft by 6ft (rather than 7ft) ?

well i just got back from Dunhelm
they did not do the 8ft by 7ft

so i had to buy the 7 and half by 7 and half,
cost 30 quid was they expensive do u think ? i thought that was very expensive?
also i have took these out of the packaging and they are creased as hell?

also i dident know there was 2 in the pack :rolleyes: when really i only needed 1.

there is also a seem right in the middle :mad:
not sure whever or not to take them back, but trouble is ive opened pack and dont know if they will accept it once its opened?

any ideas guys?

That is quite expensive, i only paid that for my first DIY screen. I think that the BO material i got was off the roll and cost about £6 or so.
Once you project onto the BO material i am pretty sure that you will see the seem, how prominent is it.

well its quite prominent mate,
ive attached a pic of the middle seam, sorry light is low i took it with my webcam,

i have opened plastic packet so would i be able to take this back opened?

i never knew it had a seam in middle, maybe i should of got it on the roll but was unsure if they had it in my size ( 90" x 68")

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 101
I think that will be too prominent, i would try and take it back just stating you got the wrong size etc and try and get it off the roll. I am pretty sure that the maximum off the role was about 5ft though, but i might be wrong.

yes i took it back and they never had the width i wanted,
so i got a refund,

does anyone know where i can buy some backout material

horizontal size: 91"
vertical size: 70"

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 59
ok after thinking about it i dont think im going to get cloth this size. so i think i will use mdf and paint,

what would u recommend for a 1100 lumens dlp projector?

icestorm 5
icestorm 6
icestorm 5/6 mix
or i heard hurricane matt 2 is good too?

any recommendations guys?

thanks

What projector is it and what is the contrast ratio?

its a acer projector mate,
contrast ratio is: 1500:1

what struck me kind of strange which i forgot to mention is, when i tryed the blackout cloth, bought before i took it back, i was not happy with it it seemed a worse picture on the blackout material, not sure because it was not stretched properly or what.
just thought i would mention it.

anyone recommend what paint out of,

icestorm 5
icestorm 6
icestorm 5/6 mix
or i heard hurricane matt 2 is good too?

You will probably get away with icestorm 6, i used 5/6 mix for a lcd before changing to goo and after using goo found the 5/6 just darkens all the other colours in the spectrum.

thanks inzaman i think i will take your advice and use icestorm 6 however i heard this is a grey color, wil this affect picture? as i always thought pure white would be the best?
however you know more about screen than me so i thought id ask.

as for wood,
i have alot of spare floor laminate left over so i was thinking of useing these, which i dont think anyone on here as used before.

Yes icestorm is grey but no. 6 is a very very light grey i.e pretty much just off white, where as no. 5 is really quite dark in comparison.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom