going to 7.1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chantrys, Apr 20, 2007.

1. chantrys

chantrys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi guys, we are just about to start building a new house which will have a dedicated home-theatre room and a dedicated stereo room. The HT room is going to be 6m x 5m (18ft x 15ft) so I'm considering wiring it up for 7.1 rather than the 5.1 I'm currently running.

My 1st questions is this: is the room big enough to do 7.1 justice?

If it is, which combination should I go with to match up with my existing 22L & 12L setup:

1) Get another pair of 22L's to use as the rear surrounds and use the 12L's as the side surrounds.
    2) get another pair of 12L's so my rear and side surround speakers are the same; or
    3) buy a pair of the new 22L2's to replace my current fronts and move the old 22L's to the rear?

Hope you can help.

Cheers,
    Marcus

2. iainsilvester

iainsilvester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I have just moved from 5.1 to 7.1 in a little more rectangular dedicated HC room (8m by 5m). The surround backs need room to breathe and should be a simliar distance from the listener as the surrounds. This means there should be space between the sofa and the backs, ie sofa not against back wall. I have my sofa 2/3 down the room which places it 2 times screen width (2.4m screen), so all works nicely.

I guess I'm saying make sure the speaker placement geometry works.

One advantage of 7.1 is you can play with more surround modes, eg THX Ultra 2 Cinema which sounds great with movies! I would stick to same suround backs as surrounds (although I didn't!), and place them close together around 2' above ear height. 7.1 for me was an improvement.

3. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I have gone for 7.1 with KEF 9000ACE, although the backs are only running in mono (DTS-ES and DD-EX) they still sound pretty damn good! :devil:

My dedicated cinema is only 6 x 4m :rolleyes: and I still think that 7.1 is worth it.

Ian.

4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    I just collected my two pairs of M&K K4 tripoles.:thumbsup: Before I redecorate I can play with positioning in my 6m x 4m living room. What I'm wondering is that THX recommends the rears being very close to each other and monopole (I believe). As I'm tripole (sounds like an illness:D ) should I just space them all equidistantly, with my sides at 2/3 the length of the room either side of the 'main' sofa (ie: MINE;) )?

Sorry to butt into the OP's thread, but in defence I can add that my temporary setup of 4 AE100s in a 7.1 setup was a noticeable improvement on my previous 5.1 (using Mission 77DS dipoles). My room is a similar size, with the sofa 2+ metres forward of the back wall.:)

BTW: When watching DD5.1 sources I have the options of OFF/NON MATRIX/MATRIX (EX mode I believe)/Prologic IIx cinema mode/Prologic IIx music mode for the rears. Am I right to believe the PLIIx cinema mode effectively gives a more difuse rear rather than a mono rear? This setting is for 'Non flagged' discs, but this can be over ridden for DD6.1 discs.

5. chantrys

chantrys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ok I'm going 7.1 and will probably get a pair of 12L to match my existing surrounds.

One more question though: if the back of my sofa is 1m tall, should I get a 1m tall speaker stand so that the speakers are above the height of the sofa? The Dolby website states that "Our recommended height for the surrounds is above ear level, as soundtracks are likely to be optimized for that location."

thanks for everyones help.

6. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Flamesuit all zipped up! I know that the purests will disagreed with this, but I have ALL my speakers at about ear level and at the height as each other. I always find the sound somewhat lacking when I mount the rear speakers as recommended. I find that I prefer the stronger directional sound of mounting towards ear level. To see what you prefer, temporarily mount the speakers at recommended height, then stand up and slowly sit down. See where you like the sound most and then mount speakers at the same relative position to your sitting ear height (?!* Hope that makes sense) :lesson:

At the end of the day, do what sounds best for you.

Ian.