1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going SVS

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Stellavision, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Well you guys probably know I've been umming and ahhing over my sub for a while now. I wanted something a bit lower with a bit more poke.
    I was very very close to getting a REL Q200E but have now decided to go for the SVS 25-31 PCi tuned down to 22Hz
    Just waiting for a shipping quote from Kris at SVS.
    Hope I don't regret it!:D

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It must be something in the air as you are the third person to have gone the SVS route within the last couple of days. I ordered my 20-39 PC Plus yesterday and Chris also ordered his yesterday

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The Tower of Power has arrived and my first impression was that it's huge and that 39 American inches must be more than British inches. I even measured it to confirm the height but 39 inches it was.

There are a multitude of setup options ranging from the complex to the simple and choosing the latter it probably took me five minutes to complete a temporary setup. The position of the sub is pretty much fixed due to it's size and I've done the test tone bit to get it roughly correct but will leave Avia and the various sweeps until the weekend.

First impressions bearing in mind that I am used to REL's £1,000 Storm was simply Wow.

My three year old son watches Ice Age and Toy Story 2 at reasonable levels but he came in the room whilst I was playing U571 at a reasonable level, turned green and hastily left.

It would be unfair to say much more until I have set it up properly and it has had a chance to run in a little but my first impressions are that it is £740 very well spent.

4. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Tou lucky git.
    mine are still caught up in the red tape!

5. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Just chased up Bax (again) and they got my sub released from customs while I was on the phone.
    There's vat of £63.44 to pay plus a reduced admin charge, for being messed about, of £5.
    Total cost for my SVS 25-31 PCi is £520.47
    They're going to deliver tomorrow.
    ABOUT BLOODY TIME!!!

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It comes with a US power lead so make sure that you have a suitable UK power lead. If not just nick the power lead from your PC

7. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Ian
    May i be the first to welcome you to the serious infrasonics' club.
    Although i do not use SVS or Velo' i flatter myself that my 4 Servo 15's give me honourary membership.
    Just see what 15hz will do to your house.

Pleased for you.

Steve.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I am nowhere near finished setting it all up but I have frightened myself already. I can play about with the tuning bungs and perhaps get it to play lower but it would only kill the local wildlife and I don't want that on my conscience ;)

9. jag77

jag77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find leaving it at stock tune really lets the PC+ breathe fire. at its best.

If you do happen to trudge the way of twin SVS, perhaps pluggin' the port for lower extension will be better.

10. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    You are lucky Ian....and i think i am very unlucky........

Not sure if it is to big for my room, or wheather it is because i had a concrete floor, but i plugged it in....set it up to 75db, put SWATOTC on with the pod race seen......................................nothing.............................not 1 bang or boom...........
    changed back to the PDR-10....loads of bangs,boom,rattles.

Put the 20-39 back in, tried matrix fighting scene, as mentioned in manual....nothing......put the PDR-10 back on......bang, rattle, crash.

It is working,as i held the SPL meter up infront of me and there is a good 110db reading, but no noise or rattles, or anything.

To say i am not impressed is an understatement.....i am totally ****** off at the mo.

Tried a music CD and could just hear a little bass comming from it, with the Amp channel level set at +12.........when setting the sub up with the test tones, i have to put the channel level down to -10.

It must be a case of the sub is to big for the room.....maybe i should go upstairs and see what its like there.

I tried the THX optimiser and the low freq sweep....the PDR-10 goes quite for the last 4 seconds, but can still hear, feel the freq....the 20-39 just dies with in the last 3 seconds.

OH NO.....£740 worth of dissapointment.........anyone wanner buy a brand new 20-39 for £700....you will have to collect it thou.

11. jag77

jag77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There were a few people in HTF that didn't like their either initially. Somehow after a while they got used to the cleaner bass their SVS gave.

Maybe a change in sub location would be a good idea.

12. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I could get used to cleaner bass....but i seem to have no bass effect at all....although i cannot see how it is registering on the SPL meter........
    It sounds like and feels like i have no sub........when i was listerning to a cd (sean paul), on the bass parts of the track i switched between sub on/ sub off....there was a marked defference between SPL readings of about 6db, but no diff in sound......and it did not matter where i sat in the room, the results where the same.......
    Is this weird or what.

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Assuming that the sub isn't faulty I think that you must have a setup problem somewhere. As I said before I have had a pretty decent sub in the past with a REL Storm but this one is a different dimension. I haven't tried any music cd's yet but have watched clips of U571, Apocalypse Now and Blade and the settee was vibrating which I have never felt before and I could feel the deeper bits in my chest.

It must be very annoying to go to all the trouble of importing something to find that it isn't quite what you have expected but persevere as the 20-39 is Premier League to the Paradigm PDR10's second division and once you get it right there will be no looking back.

Looking back through old threads I see that you have B&W 601 main speakers. I assume that you have these as small and the crossover switch on the sub set to disable

14. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So how much louder & lower is the SVS compared to the Storm Ian?

Is there any port chuffing? (my Storm has some)

My three Subwoofer killer DVD's are Toy Story 2 logo intro, Titan AE, and Terminator 2 Ultimate shotgun bits (very loud bass) Any problems with the SVS?

15. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Yea...i tried all speakers small, then large....at the mo i have ,602 at front, 601 center, ht2's rear...all my others are disconned.

I just cannot see any reason why i am not getting any sort of feeling from it, yet it shows on the SPL meter.

I am very limited with space in my room.....so tommorrow, once i have made some longer leads, i am going to try it in a diff corner and then after that, try and get some help from SVS.

I could see the prob, if it sounded boomy or not much better than the PDR-10, but to get nothing out of it, beats me from the start.

Maybe my avia disk will turn up tommorrow and then i might get a better setting.

It was a bad start, once i took it out the box and the black edgeing around the bottom plate was hanging off.....got to repair it already.

Now wheres that wood glue..........

16. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It goes much lower than the Storm and is loud enough to waken the dead. I have mine set at about two out of ten and even then I had one eye on the mantelpiece to make sure that the photos wouldn't jump off.

I live in a detached house with double glazed windows and like my films loud. I don't think that I would ever need anything more powerful as I don't want structural damage.

The SVS manual contains details of test tracks and I have been playing with the the "Door explosion" at the beginning of Chapter 10 of Blade.

The politest expression that I can think of is "Wow". One of my neighbours has been round and he thought that my Storm was the best subwoofer that he has ever heard. He now thinks that the Storm is the second best subwoofer that he has heard, by a long way.

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In the meantime set it up by ear. Play a DVD or CD with bass in it and turn up the gain on the sub until you can hear it. That normally means that it's too loud so turn it down a bit from there and probably a bit more.

I don't find SPL meters a very satisfactory way of setting sub levels and always tend to do it by ear.

18. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Here`s a good one for you Ian,and one of my `big smile` events - the 4 disc extended version of Lord of the Rings - select DTS and find the section were they are hiding just off the track,under the tree and the hooded rider in black is above and looms over the side,the bass sweep will have you smiling to the end of next week :rotfl:

19. CopeyJ

CopeyJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just looked at the http://www.svsubwoofers.com/ site, WOW! these things look awesome on paper and I bet they do the business for real. I have book marked the site for future reference...were did I put that credit card ;)

What is the scene like in the Two Towers Trailer were Gandalf bangs his staff down? That is quite meaty usually

20. jag77

jag77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the exact same thoughts as Ian when I switched over from the Storm to the SVS. Massive amounts of deep clean stuff in the last octave of sound. Didn't realise I was missing so much bass until I got the SVS.

21. jag77

jag77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOTR:TTT is an absolute bass fest. Absolutely smashing stuff with bass we feel in our chest. Less able subs won't deliver the punch in scenes with the blackriders.

When the disc is finally released, check out the movie right around the 40min mark. We see Frodo and golum in the marshes hiding from the lone blackrider swooping around. The bass leashed with every sweep of the dragon's wings is simply wicked.

22. jag77

jag77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  23. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I will have to try that.......................might wait till the wife and kids are out thow.

Anyway.....i have now moved it to the other end of the room.....next to where i sit........set the levels and something started to shake.....not sure if it was something in the room or in the sub....but at least it was doing something.

Will investigate more, when i get up later.

Surely i cannot have a duff one and how would you know if it was duff...it makes all the right noises with the test tones.

I will find the right spot...evern if i have to empty the living room and sit on orange boxes.

24. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris, your situation is very strange. The subwoofer seems to be working fine with test tones, generating loud levels on the AVIA sweep for example...but you aren't very happy with the amount of bass it generates with actual source material. You have already set all speakers to SMALL, subwoofer to On/Yes. And I assume that you've calibrated the entire system with your SPL meter.

I would double check the basics,just to eliminate the easy stuff first.

1)make sure you are plugged into the INPUT on the sub(the receiver to subwoofer cable),
    2)bypass the subwoofers internal XO for now, or set it to the highest point.
    3)set the subwoofer volume to about 1/3, then use the bass leveler in the receiver to calibrate the bass to the desired level
    4)be sure no peak limiters are engaged in the receiver

If you can, please fax me a room layout with the seating and speaker positions. The SVS fax is (330)793-8183. Thank you.

Tom V.
    SVS

25. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi tom.
    Thanks for replying.
    I have checked, double checked and checked again, everything you mention above.
    At the moment i have the amp on(denon 3803) at a low level -36 and the sub is connected by a 8 meter cable i made up last night, out of 75ohm coax and gold plated RCA plugs.......i calibrated the system last night, after moving the amp and the sub volume is at 1/3 and the channel level is at +1.5.........
    At the moment the sub is in standby, where as the PDR-10 had no trouble working at this volume.......the settings i had with the PDR-10 was...volume at 1/3, channel level on amp at +2.0.
    For a £700 sub, it is not very sensitive.
    Unless i have a prob with the internal Amp...????

I also tried it on the music channels via sky digital just now....and where the PDR-10 would happily sing along at this volume...i had to turn the channel level up to +12 (max) to evern get the 20-39 to come out of standby and make a noise.

I would love to like this sub, but at the moment i cannot....i do not know if it is a prob with the sub or maybe, it just is not suited to my room and will not work, no matter what i do.

I cannot evern send it back, under the 45 day money back return, as i cannot afford the postage again and i cannot afford to lose the money i'v spent on Vat, Import duty and P+P to get it.
    So it looks like i will have to try and get rid of it through the private classifieds or have a very expensive flower pot.

Hopefully my copy of Avia will turn up today, so it might all change then and start working, but at the mo i have had to try and re-arrange my room and squash everything into corners, just to place this somewhere else.
    I will try and send you a fax of my room, but it will be hand drawn and i have got to try and work out how to use the fax software first.
    My room is very full....what with it being 12 foot by 13 foot and i have 4 kids that like toys and video games.

cheers....chris.

26. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Tom won't be around later due to the time difference but in the meantime I would suggest disabling the Auto On by keeping it powered at all times and using the same sub cable that you used for the Paradigm.

If the SPL meter is picking up a signal when you are using the amp test tones I find it very odd that you can't hear it.

It's a shame that I live so far away as I would come and have a look for you but Jase will be around this afternoon and he is good at these type of problems.

27. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Well i still aint gone to bed yet...........been at work alnight.
    The kids are at school, the misses is doing house work.
    I've set it all up, as per owners manual.........i've set it up per other peoples opinions....i've set it up with the same settings as the PDR-10 was.

It works, but not in my room...........
    If i go to various parts of the house it shakes.

I set it up for a +3db over my main speakers (main speakers are set to small), everything set to 80db.........very little affect here or anywhere around the living room, apart from i corner and the door frames....if i go out the door and down the hall to the kicthen door, then i get the same affect, that i used to get with the PDR-10, when sitting in the same room.
    I thought bugger it, i put my sean paul CD on and turned the channel level up to +6db and the sub up to max.........i am getting bass in the living room, but not as much as the PDR-10 was...i went to the kicthen door...i can feel deep bass there....i went up stairs and the floor boards are shaking.......i hate to think what next door are getting.

So the thing does work, just not in a small room....especially a small room which is full of stuff.

OH Well it was a good idea, but it never worked...it needs a bigger room to work....its Not to bad.......about on Par with the PDR-10, if i put the matrix on and then go sit up stairs and listern to it.

I was ganner try it with a copy of Avia, but it never turned up, this morning.....so it looks like it is going to have to go (either to someone that wants it(i hope), or in the shed), shame really as i liked the look of it.

Back to my plans of either the CHT-15 or the ASW-675.

I just want something that will more or less plug and play, just like the paridigum was.

And what is evern worse is..........i sold the PDR-10 last night.

28. jag77

jag77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the dimension of your room?

29. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    chris

I've got a fairly small "room" and am currently using a CHT15. To find the best place for performance try this, if possible! Place the sub at your listening position (or as near to it as you can), play some music with decent bass and then wander around the room until you find the spot that sounds best. Then plonk the sub there or as near to that spot as possible.

On your sub have you plugged any of the ports or just left it as it is?

Quick edit: just read the link that was posted earlier in the thread, basically the same as what I posted above so ignore my post!:blush:

30. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had this problem with mine Chris,went from a Rel q-bass to the beast,and heard nothing apart from a squeak,it`s something in the seetings on the amp - lfe amount/subwoofer level etc...
    I used the auto-on feature but found that half the time the level was not enough to switch it on,just leave it on permanent,have to rush to work now - but will post what the solution was later unless Jase or someone comes to your rescue later,and fear not my friend,do not give up on the bass - it`s just a matter of tuning it somewhere in the settings - you will be a happy bunny :smashin: