1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going Surround with Arcam...

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by phaigh, Feb 16, 2004.

Tags:
  1. phaigh

phaigh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, looking for a little advice, from the 'masters' so to speak.

I'm a long time lurker, but infrequent poster on these forums.

So, I've got a CD32, and A32 (the previous FMJ models for CD and A) and am really very happy with the sound repro. on CD's.

I have left+right on Dynaudio Contor 1.1's - which sound the business.

Finally going to get my ass in gear and go DVD + Surround sound, but I'm unsure which products I need to get.

Currently, I'm thinking of the FMJ27a or DV88+(P?) for DVD source, with output to a 28"CRT now, planning for a 43" Plasma in the near future, so progressive scan is something that I want on NTSC and PAL sources.

I'm thinking of going surround, and I'm not sure how that all works, to be honest. I would really like to go AV8/P7, but I think that this may be overkill for my setup, and certainly has a price tag to match, so I'm looking for alternative options.

So my questions:

1. Would the AV200 replace the A32, or is it a compliment?
    2. What about the DAVE module for the A32, is that an option?
    3. DV88/89 vs FMJ27a for Video reproduction - is the FMJ much better purely for video? - audio source will continue being the CD32.
    4. Probably will go for the Dynaudio Center Speaker + Sub (if they do one), but looking for recommendations for small, discrete rears, if you have any.

Thanks a lot!!!

Cheers,

Paul.

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I sold a DV88+ to buy a DV27.

Both have excellent picture performance.

But the DV27 is way ahead on the audio front. Overall it is a higher quality machine. Hence it has a thorough recommendation from me.

I use my DV27 for CD playback too and am very happy with it. It would be worth your while testing that aspect for yourself.

Then, if budget would allow, sell the CD player and put any money you had planned with that and aim for the AV8 processor!!:D

It'd be far superior to the 200/Dave option and allow you to keep good stereo sound. The other (cost) drawback would be funding a 3 channel power amp for surround duties.

Another option would be the upcoming AVR300. Do a search for it on these boards as you may like what you read about it. Also a lot cheaper at £1300.

3. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree the AVR300 is something worth considering.

I have a AVR200 currently that I use with Dynaudio Audience (72/62/122C/Sub30A). It sounds terrific for both music and movies. I suspect the AVR300 with Contours will be awesome. I'm #1 on my dealer wait list for the AVR300 -- I'll be adding a pair of Audience 52 once I get it.

For surrounds you might consider the Audience 52SE bookshelf speakers. Even though they are Audience line, they use Contour drivers, so should mate well with your 1.1 fronts. There is a Contour sub, but it's pricey and big. If you want something smaller and/or cheaper the Audience SUB-30A does the trick. It's what I use in my setup.

I also have a DB88 Plus, which I use with a Samsung 61" DLP (NTSC progressive component), and am extremely pleased with the video/audio quality. It also helps a lot to have a high quality cable.

Dean

4. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    There's no DAVE module available for the A32, but Arcam recently introduced a multi channel board for this (think it's around the £400 mark, but check with your dealer).

It has two sets of 7.1 inputs, so you can conceivably have both a DVD/DVD Audio (FMJ DV27A) and an SACD player attached at the same time.

Sonically and visually. I'm more than happy with the DV27A. And although the selection is rather limited at the moment, DVD Audio is quite an experience.

5. phaigh

phaigh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, Skanky, why did you sell the DV88 for the 27? Just for audio performance?

I'm intending to keep the existing CD player, since it sounds great, and I've heard (from my dealer) that the new stuff is less nice sounding. I may go listen to it, but all that extra electronics puts me off.

The AV300 sounds like it might fit the bill - will I need a Power Amp for the rears in this case???

dwette, nice to hear of someone else using DynAudio kit - seems to be a dying breed. Will check out the speakers - I need something small though, so may not be an option without wall mounting (ugh).

I'm actually seriously considering not bothering with a sub - the bass response from the Contours is fantastic. My audiophile friend thought I was hiding a sub, it's that good. However, I'll probably bite the bullet and go for one.

The wall DynAudio's look interesting.

Cheers,

Paul.

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Phaigh, mostly yes. But it's the overall improvement too.

It is difficult to describe, but the DV27 really is a better machine.

The audio improvements were 'very' apparent on DVD aswell as CD!

7. phaigh

phaigh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, I have the Arcam A22, which does have a DAVE module, but I'm not sure how easy it is to get hold of now - I'd assume that Arcam aren't doing it any more.

Interested that you think that DVD-A is worth it - I've heard mixed reports on the subject, and it isn't on the list of things to have just yet, although the option to have it in the future is a nice touch.

Cheers,

Paul.

8. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Maybe not so much a dying breed. My dealer seems to be doing well with Dynaudio, but then I'm on the other side of the pond, so maybe things are different here.

If you are going to play DVD movies with DD5.1 and/or DTS soundtracks, you'll benefit from a sub even with the Contours. There's LFE information (the 'dot one' part of 5.1) you won't get otherwise that can make a big difference in video, like the depth charges on U571. Almost got thrown outta my condo for that. Good thing I have a brick house now.

Even though I have a Audience Sub I'm considering getting a demo Contour Sub my dealer is letting go at half price.

When I get my AVR300, I'm actually considering moving my Audience 62s to the LP playback system in another room and getting two pairs of Audience 52SE for the side and rear surrounds.

Dean