Question Going slowly mad. Which OLED?

madfiddler

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So far I've been waiting patiently for a while now hoping there would be some price reductions but looks like black friday isn't going to bring much for the high end sets.

I know that best value most are going for now for is the LG B7/C7 assuming it is going to be paired with an external audio solution of some description. However, for my use I'd prefer to go for the improved sound and have been looking at LG E7 and Sony A1 55".

The price of both these is basically the same. I know there are Pros and cons of each but I'm just so torn right now. Any help anyone can offer to bring me some sanity would be appreciated!

I'm planning on upgrade to Sky Q 4K box, have an Xbox One X (love to play FPS despite being rubbish at them), but I know a lot of material for now is still not 4K. I like the processing of the A1 and smooth gradation, up scaling from lower res material I gather is the best but not sure if really that far better than LG. I'm not so keen on the A1 sloped screen. The E7 has the lowest input lag and better smart tv OS. I'm not sure about how the sound of the two compares.

Which would you go for? Is there even a right or wrong answer and am I fussing over details too much?

Last edited:
!

I'm planning on upgrade to Sky Q 4K box, have an Xbox One X (love to play FPS despite being rubbish at them), but I know a lot of material for now is still not 4K. I like the processing of the A1 and smooth gradation, up scaling from lower res material I gather is the best but not sure if really that far better than LG. I'm not so keen on the A1 sloped screen. The E7 has the lowest input lag and better smart tv OS. I'm not sure about how the sound of the two compares.

Which would you go for? Is there even a right or wrong answer and am I fussing over details too much?

No you are not fussing over the details and yes, someone who is actually thinking about 4k content :):smashin:. you are being smart.

What are your viewing tastes? I know I keep going on about the lack of UHD content for mainstream non sports, non movie viewing but that's the real question, you need to ask yourself from what you have posted.

If you watch SD content now because it's either not available in HD or pre dates it, vintage TV or you watch a lot of terrestrial drama and documentaries, then your UHD 4K and HDR content is going to be pretty minimal for the next few years.

In your case though you have a console capable of 4k gaming, so the question for you to think about is, do I play and pay out for the latest games, what % of my viewing is gaming, and will most of my UHD content be delivered that way.

I see an A1 almost every day, and it's a great TV ( no I don't have one, just a Branch of Sevenoaks hi fi I walk past every lunchtime at work, with a 65" A1 displaying different content including non-4k in the window), however, it is expensive compared to the LG models. It doesn't tilt too much and the tilt looks elegant in the flesh but, if your household has pre teen kids or a large bouncy dog, it looks like it might be difficult and self defeating design wise to secure the TV safely. Whether that be crushed toddlers or Tv smashed to the floor.

To be honest any flat screen isn't going to have great sound, if you want great sound buy the LG B7 and spend the change on a good sound bar. It really isn't worth paying out for TV sound, that's the one factor that shouldn't really be factoring in at this price point.

Another point is how long do you want/expect your TV to last for, are you a serial upgrader, or are you an investment purchaser who expects 5 to 10 years from your main TV?

I know that best value most are going for now for is the LG B7/C7 assuming it is going to be paired with an external audio solution of some description. However, for my use I'd prefer to go for the improved sound and have been looking at LG E7 and Sony A1 55".

I think most people on here would agree there is better value in spending the money saved from going for the B or C7 and investing in a separate sound bar or sound system. This will by far surpass any integrated sound no matter how good it may be.

But if integration of sound is key I think you will find the Sony sounds better, most people seem to think so.

I personally don't rate Sony like others do, I think the upscaling is just as good as the other TVs and there is plenty about the LG lower end TVs that is better than the more expensive OLED models.

Just look at the recent OLED shootout on here for example, the Sony A1 in blind testing got worse scores than both Philips POS9002 and LG B7. Just goes to show that you are really only wasting your money spending it on a very overpriced TV by going with the Sony ;)

55E7 is 1100 more than the B7. Personally, I would get the B7 and put the 1100-1200 you save into a sound system - either an AVR+speakers, or if you don't have room / don't want the clutter, then maybe a good sound projector.

Thanks for the responses. Have to say the amount of "noise" on the LG C7 owners thread is not helping....

Read any owners thread on here and be put off buying any TV. Gotta remember that this is a place where people come with problems, not without.

Any TV that sells so much will have complaints on here. Was the same with the best selling TVs last year like the Samsung KS7000.

Get the LG, best OS and the best price.
Sony uses the same panel and they charge over a grand more, it's funny how the Sony owners think they are getting a great deal :rotfl:

I've recently bought the LG B7 (65 inch) and I think it's a fabulous TV. The picture is stunning with HD sources (only been able to stream 4K from Amazon at present as don't have a 4K player). The magic remote is a genius device - I wish all my remotes would operate like this. Not bothered about the sound as I have a dedicated sound system. The built in sound is OK for casual listening to news or such without putting the main system on.

You are better off buying an LG C7 and then spending the money saved on a decent soundbar. However if you must have either the E7 or A1 then buy the A1. You'll undoubtedly get less hate from AVF members by getting the E7 though.

Compared to the E7 the A1 is worth more money. It may not have Atmos support like the E7 does with its sound bar but I think the A1 has the best sounding integrated TV speakers for a while.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom