1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going round in circles here, could do with some advice

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MikeTPC, Sep 8, 2004.

1. MikeTPC

MikeTPC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I'm trying to work out what's best for me and it's driving me mad so I could do with some help.

I'll outline the situation and see what you experts think.

I want a 42" plasma, wall mounted. I want to connect it to Sky +, DVD and x box. I don't want tons of cables up and down the wall if possible.

I want decent picture quality and decent sound but I'm no video or audiophile so as long as it's good for an everday type of guy then I'm happy.

Not too bothered about 5.1 as again I don't want cables everywhere.

Now I keep looking at the PE30 and the PW6 as I believe they're basically the same screen apart from sound, inputs and receiever?

Is the built in sound with the PE30 any good? Again I'm not looking for top cinema quality as I watch the odd dvd, football and use the xbox so it doesn't have to be amazing.

What's the best way of connecting all these up? I've seen VGA convertors which look like I can use the VGA on either screen meaning one cable out to a box like this sort of thing but I can't see how many inputs that has, can I connect all three devices to it?

What cables will I need? If I buy the PE30 from AV Sales I get the free DVD player so I'll be using that.

I'll add my other questions as I think, I'm rambling a bit a the mo.

2. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi Mike,

Given the fact you don't want a tangle of cables leading from your wall mounted plasma I really do think that the Viera PE30 is not the choice for you. Whilst I feel it is a good all round plasma TV, to get the best from it, you'll need to use all of the AV inputs which inevitably means you'll have upto 3 SCARTS, a component and power lead all trailing from the back of the TV. Also bear in mind that the only VGA socket on the Viera is front mounted underneath a flap.

If I were in your shoes I would plump for a PW6 with SCART switch box and RGB to VGA convertor, errm I think that's the right terminology I'm not too sure on the exact specifics but I am sure the other members here can offer further advice. If I'm correct though that should mean you only have two cables leading away from the PW6, one power cable and one VGA.

Hope that helps.

S.

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Steve P
    I totally agree, PW6 with
    VGA cable £7.50, JS box £125, Quintro switcher £61 (all your SCARTS)
    If you REALLY need a component input add VGA terminal board £75, VGA to component cable £15