Going round in circles! 48/50" tv thoughts appreciated.

Pieeater

Established Member
Reaction score
For a long time I considered getting a Samsung Frame to replace our nearly 14 yr old Panny plasma. I have since decided putting the tv above the fireplace isn't for me and so I am now considering the LG C2 48" or the 50" Samsung QN90B. Having read comments from Dodgexander and other prominent / distinguished members, it would seem that the 48" LG isn't quite the tv I thought it was going to be and similarly, the Samsung is also inferior to the 55" model and above!

We don't watch a huge about of tv. The plasma has 13350 hours in nearly 14 years and is still going strong. TV viewing is mainly BBC, ITV, Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and sport if I can get to the TV. I don't currently subscribe to Sky but we do have Virgin tv (tempted to ditch it and possibly replace with Freesat). Our lounge is south facing, with French doors a large window and the tv would be adjacent to the window. As much as I would like a 55", I don't think there is room for it.

I did see the C2 48" at Costco for £917 and the Samsung I could have had for £684 (after trade up, cashback and my other half's access to the Samsung Employee Store via Edenred). Both have gone up in price since.

So, the question is, should I consider a lesser / cheaper tv, given that the two I had narrowed the choice down to are not quite what they seem or are they still head and shoulders above the rest? How long do people tend to keep OLEDs? I presume they have a shorter lifespan and as you can tell, it has been a while since I purchased a tv!

Suggestions appreciated.

I still have my Panny 3D in my bedroom now 50 inch 2011 model ? or is it 12. I have a TCL 50 inch tv as main tv for Sky but use my Panny for netflix and Amazon and it works fine . too at 1080P . Until it goes AWOL i am keeping it But if you are changing look at the cheapy end of the market TCL and Hisense 50 inch around £350 to about £400 look also at Hisense new QLEZ at just over £400 ish

the LGs would be the best to go for or the QN90B next

The 48" OLEDs may not carry the latest panel like the larger variants do, but they are a lot closer in picture to their larger counterparts than LCD TVs are like the QN90B.

There's nothing at all wrong with buying a 48" OLED which I think is fair to share the same model number as larger TVs, the drastic difference in features between the QN90B at other sizes makes it unjustified to share the same model number however.

No point paying over £600 for a 50 inch . unless it is a lot bigger on a very expensive TV you will not notice much difference at all Look at the bargain , 2022 models or even a 2021 model little difference but prefer a 2023 myself. price is King price is cheaper too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom