1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going Projector....Need Advise

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by eatstatic, Sep 22, 2003.

1. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Have been following some of the posts here as I intend to purchase a projector hopefully before christmas. Some of the machines that fall into the maybe catogary are as below:-

LCD:-
    Panasonic 300ae
    Sanyo Z2
    Hitachi pj-tx10

DLP:-
    Sharp xv-91e
    Infocus X1 (Tosh/IBM)

And a few others depending on budget at time of purchase.

In the Home Cinema Sept issue there was an ad for the HEWLETT-PACKARD DLP projectors. The vp6120 falls well within my budget as seems to be well specified. Anyone seen any reviews/know if it is any good?

2. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  3. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Paul,

Cheers for the reply. Have had alook at the info on the links you gave and hopefully will be demoing some projectors in the next couple of weeks.

I will be using the projector for dvd (probably about 90% of the time) so is the 16:9 - 4:3 issue really a consideration?

Also (regarding theX1) I would be running a component lead into the s-vid/component adaptor to utilise the prog scan on my player.
    Does the adaptor work when using this method?

4. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi eatstatic

The 16:9 – 4:3 is probably more of an issue for PC inputs. The X1 is a SVGA projector (800 x 600 native resolution) therefore, it is in effect not using the top & bottom of the available output image (using an area 800 x 450) with the X1 set to a 16:9 aspect ratio. Personally I use both DVD & X1 set to 16:9 and when wishing to view 4:3 material I switch the X1 to native mode. This will then put a 4:3 image within the 16:9 screen area.

The S-Video/Component adaptor will only accept interlaced sources, for a progressive source you will need to use the 15 pin VESA/Component adaptor about £20 + P&P. There have been reports that little difference in quality has been seen by using a progressive source due to the quality of the X1’s on board Faroudja processing, which is bypassed using the VESA input – can’t comment myself as I only have an interlaced component output on my DVD player. Also I don’t know if the use of a progressive unit will effect the above comments on 16:9/4:3 issue. Certainly, certain areas of each menu are disabled/enabled depending on the input used (computer/S-Video). There are rumours of an X2 to replace the X1 which it is suggested will be produced without the Faroudja processing to lower the price point even further and aiming this machine more at the presentation market. This would seem to make sense as the X1 (now designated a presentation unit) and Screenplay 4800 (Home Theatre) are the same unit but sold at different price points with differing accessories in the USA.

All these topics are discussed more fully in the two previous links, you can also download both the User Manual & Service Guide from the
    http://members.shaw.ca/technut/x1faq/ site, screen size / projector position calculator from http://www.projectorcentral.com/home.cfm or www.infocus.com and you may wish to look at www.avsforum.com in the under $5000 projector section where there have been complaint that there are too many X1 postings due to the popularity of this unit.

Hope this helps

Paul

5. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Paul,

Thanks for the reply as it answered some of the questions i wanted to know about. I have been reading the information on projector central but it is always nice to hear the information confirmed from owners.

Have decided to wait a little longer (hopefully not too long) to try and up the funding and see what some of the projectors are like that are due out. Also because there are no projectors (that I can afford) for demo purposes yet at any of the retailers I contacted.

Out of interest what was the greatest deciding factor on your purchase?

Thanks for the info.

6. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi eatstatic,

Just as a point of interest I see from another thread.

"Nexnix are currently selling an Infocus X1 clone the IBM IVL300 for £725 + VAT "

Paul