1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

going plasma in the month or so ( need advice )

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by stuartam_81, Mar 17, 2005.

1. stuartam_81

stuartam_81
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys,
    i have just about finished the living room and are nearing the order of a plasma tv but i need some advice as what would suit my needs, all i will be plugging into the screen would be a HTPC ( stored dvd's ) and a sky dodgy box.

now the screen i have in mind is a panny TH-42PHD7 with the DVI-D terminal board. should i add a scaler if i go this route.

or a panny VIERA TH-42PV500B ( and release dates )without the scaler ( as i understand the screen has a better scaler built in so an external one would be worthless )

all advice needed ( im very new to plasma's )

best regards

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I also have a PHD7 with the DVI board, but I've also got a Lumagen DVI. The PHD7 will give great results with Sky connected into the VGA port through a RGB to VGA converter, but you can do even better (at some cost!) with the Lumagen particularly if you go for a Sky + V1 box modified to output SDI (and you also need the SDI board for the Lumagen). The results are approaching DVD quality from the higher bit-rate channels off Sky, but it isn't inexpensive!

Without a scaler the PHD7 will be all but useless when high def TV from Sky arrives. The current Vieras aren't in the same league as the PHD7, haven't seen the new ones so can't comment. The inbuilt scaler won't be a match for a Lumagen / DVDO HD+ .

Final word of advice - don't buy without seeing the plasma - the problem is that there are very few places where you can do so, and see it properly set up. If you happen to be in the West Midlands check my sig!!

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I don't like the sound of your 'nearly finished' room. Have you made any allowance for the wiring for your new entertainment system?
    As you have an HTPC you might like to consider a capture card for sky. That would make the thing a 1 stop solution so to speak. If you need it easy to use then maybe a PHD7 with DVI for the PC and just a RGB to VGA box for sky will do you nicely, leaving the screen on the PC input ready for turn on my non-PC members of the household to watch TV on would maybe work well. Then you'd need a DVI and a VGA cable in the wall, or trunked, whatever. Whereabouts are you and someone will point you somewhere to see this running. I'd say, as soon as you mention PC, get clear of the Viera. It's fine for a bit of web surfing with your laptop, not really meant as the display for a dedicated HCPC.

4. stuartam_81

stuartam_81
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the input guys, i will defiantly be looking at the screens before buying thats a no brainier :D

as for my nearly finished room, i have 4 coax ( ph100 ) and 2 network points in every corner. i will be having my screen on a stand not wall mounted as i didnt want to build a false wall on the chimney as it would stick out too far.

thanks again for all the input, its much appreciated.

5. stuartam_81

stuartam_81
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well ive just ordered a new sofa but it wont be here for 3 months so im putting off the plasma till then ( no point having a tv with nothing to sit on )

what screens should i be on the look out for in this time, i have revised my spec's a bit and it will only be connected to a htpc via dvi.

best regards