Going on holiday in a couple of weeks - my destination shortlist is...

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tenerife
Egypt (Sharm)
Thailand (Pattaya/Phuket)
Mexico (Cancun)
Caribbean (probably Dominican Reb for value purposes)

Myself and a mate going.

Did have Orlando on the shortlist too but I want to witness a Shuttle Launch and my time off does not coincide with this so plan on going there another time.

Now with the exception of Sharm and Tenerife, every time I check the local weather on the other 3 it's raining:rolleyes:. Probably because it's still (although coming to and end) the rainly season for those destinations but i'm doubtful if it will change sufficiently in the next couple of weeks.

Tenerife - needs no introduction. Weather should be ok. Been to Grand Canaria 8 times so have an idea what it will be like there.

As for the other 4, apart from some general research, don't know too much about them.

Criteria would be good, warm/hot weather. Beach resort. Few things to do (watersports etc etc), fairly lively nightlife. Water park would'nt go amiss too:D

Has anybody been to any of the destinations at this time of year (end Oct/Beg Nov), how did you get on. Do you recommend it? What resort/hotel did you stay?

Cheers:thumbsup:

Dom have considered Cyprus ?should tick all your box's (plus certain places sell Alcopops ;)) + a bit of history

I just came back from Turkey! Really hot and lovely country IMO!

Cancun is top of my list of places never to go again - it's a hole. Playa Del Carmen further down the coast is much nicer (but still overrun with loud, drunk american tourists).
Thailand should be ok if you go in November - after the rains.

Dom have considered Cyprus ?should tick all your box's (plus certain places sell Alcopops ;)) + a bit of history

Hi Rob

I've kind of ruled out Europe on the basis that the weather will not be up to scratch come the beginning of November.

I did notice that Cyprus is still currently 25 degrees but average temps in Southern Europe are probably tailing off now as we move towards November and we kind of want it to be nice and warm/hot (which means a good 25 degrees.

I just came back from Turkey! Really hot and lovely country IMO!

Been there once before so trying somewhere different. Was very nice though. Fantastic weather, even in Spring:smashin:

Cancun is top of my list of places never to go again - it's a hole. Playa Del Carmen further down the coast is much nicer (but still overrun with loud, drunk american tourists).
Thailand should be ok if you go in November - after the rains.

A hole:eek:. But those lovely white Beaches:rolleyes::D

I'm guessing Playa is a bit classier then.

Last edited:
Pattaya is apparently a hole too, there are far nicer & still lively places to go in Thailand. Koh Samui has both lively & quiet spots. Had a great time over there.

Last edited:
Thailand (Pattaya/Phuket) is the worst place in Thailand, imagine club 18-30 full of chavs in Thailand, that's what its like, go thailand but go Ko Samui , Bang kok etc

Thailand (Pattaya/Phuket) is the worst place in Thailand, imagine club 18-30 full of chavs in Thailand, that's what its like, go thailand but go Ko Samui , Bang kok etc

:eek::suicide::(

Hadn't considered Ko Samui on the basis that it was close to being over budget (1k ish) and too quite/for honeymooners etc etc:D

I'll take another look at it:smashin:

Last edited:
You said your thinking of not going to places that always rain... But orlando always rains every day and its worse than the UK :smashin:

Hadn't considered Ko Samui on the basis that it was close to being over budget (1k ish) and too quite/for honeymooners etc etc:D

Chaweng is the busiest part - it's pretty touristy but not too bad and can be done pretty cheaply. Bophut in the north is nice but probably too quiet for what you're after - but an easy trip over to Ko Phangan.

Sharm is nice (Concorde el salam) superb snorkeling and scuba. Cuba (Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & SPA) remote but luxury and a first class hotel with plenty of water sports, Havana (Saratoga) loads of night life here, nice food and fat cigars. Orlando massive amount of fun to be had (Grosvenor Resort hotel).

I am returning to The Maldives before the year is out. I cant wait. :clap:

Last edited:
I am returning to The Maldives before the year is out. I cant wait. :clap:

If I had an other half to take, that would be my number 1 choice:smashin:

As it is, for 2 single blokes, probably not the most ideal destination.

Chaweng is the busiest part - it's pretty touristy but not too bad and can be done pretty cheaply. .

Agreed ^^^

Chaweng Beach is very lively, or just down the road you have Lamai Beach which is a little quieter but still loads of bars & restaurants.

I stayed in Lamai - got the best of both worlds then & the trip on the back of a truck between the two is hilarious.

Can't you get to Vegas for that kind of money? I guess you need pots of cash to spend while you're there though.

If I had an other half to take, that would be my number 1 choice:smashin:

As it is, for 2 single blokes, probably not the most ideal destination.

The Maldives is definitely a couples thing. If I was to go with mates then I would go for these places -

Florida Orlando/Miami
Amsterdam for a few days then on some where else
Sharm
Thailand
Rio de Janeiro

The cheapest place to visit out of all them would be Sharm by a country mile.

:smashin:

Last edited:
The cheapest place to visit out of all them would be Sharm by a country mile.
:smashin:

Would you say B&B or All Inclusive for Sharm?

I generally prefer to eat out at a wide variety of places so whilst AI may be cheaper, i prefer going SC/B&B as this gives more freedom an encourages me to get out more as well:rotfl:.

If Sharm is relatively cheap, it should'nt cost an arm and a leg eating out all the time anyway....?

Probably as near to a 100% guarantee on the weather so it is probably 1/2nd favourite at the mo.

I wouldn't go to Pattaya, it's really seedy, the men are more like club 50-70, the girls that they're with are about 15-21 :thumbsdow :nono:

I'm going to Boracay beach in the Philippines in about 4 weeks :arty:
I can't wait, it supposed to be one of the best beaches in the world, and hasn't cost that much to get there either.

Have you considered Peurto Vallarta in Mexico?

When I was there it was much less Americanised than Cancun, and everyone who was there who had also been to Cancum preferred Vallarta.

You get to trek in the jungle where Predetor was made.....some good diving off Jacques Cousteau island.....and plenty of Coco Loco's :cool:

Nightlife was very good too and the local girls were stunning (and friendly). :thumbsup:

Not sure about the weather though....I went at the beginning of Sept and it was very hot during the day, with spectacular thunderstorms every night.

Long flights though :thumbsdow

Would you say B&B or All Inclusive for Sharm?

I generally prefer to eat out at a wide variety of places so whilst AI may be cheaper, i prefer going SC/B&B as this gives more freedom an encourages me to get out more as well:rotfl:.

If Sharm is relatively cheap, it should'nt cost an arm and a leg eating out all the time anyway....?

Probably as near to a 100% guarantee on the weather so it is probably 1/2nd favourite at the mo.

I would go all inclusive at a decent 5 star hotel. Most of the decent hotels are outside of Nama bay and will take 15 mins or so cab ride into Nama. All inclusive wont cost much more than B&B and you will get as much to drink as you want, lunch and if you want it dinner. IMO its worth it just for the drinks ie bottled water, soft drinks and alcohol. Food and accommodation is so cheap in this part of the world that going 5 star AI doesnt cost a fortune.

I can recomend the hotel I stayed at Concorde el Salam, the food, service, rooms, snorkelling, dive centre etc were all really good. I had no complaints at all. :)

You said your thinking of not going to places that always rain... But orlando always rains every day and its worse than the UK :smashin:
I have been 3 years on the bounce in Oct and was in the high 80's to low 90's... with the odd shower (which was welcomed).

So yeah defo worse than the UK... far too hot :D

I would stay well clear of Phuket and Pattaya. Mind you, in saying that Phuket old town is quite nice.
We spent a few days on Koh Lanta which was gorgeous.
Travelling north from Bangkok is nice if you're not bothered about beaches. A bit more 'real' Thailand and quite a lot cheaper.
Found this site very useful for travel around Thailand and surrounding countries. Good general info and a good forum too.
Backpacking travel guide for Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Singapore. Includes itinerary advice, hotel and guesthouse reviews, maps, photos and general planning advice. All at www.travelfish.org
Have a nice time wherever you go.

spud

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom