1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going off big time

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Jason_B, May 19, 2001.

1. Jason_B

Jason_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just finished watching Going off big time. What a movie! I bought this DVD on impulse. I'm glad to say it was worth the purchase price. I was very surprised to see such quality from a home grown movie on a small budget. I only hope theres more to come.

This movie has enthused me to find out if there are any more home grown crime / ganster films that have not had the hype of Lock Stock & Snatch (great movies), but is well worth a look.

I'd be grateful if anybody could point me in the right direction to finding some.

Thanks

Jason

2. Len

Len

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try

The Limey - Brit gangster goes to Hollywood - Terrence Stamp... good film.

Gangster No1 - I'd say rent rather than buy. Some good performances, but a flawed movie.

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,411
    Good ones are VERY HARD to find, which is why I guess the likes of LOCK STOCK and SNATCH grabbed peoples attention. I have seen the vast majority of the UK gangster movies and have to say that they are nearly all very bad movies.

I did not enjoy THE LIMEY at all, I found Terrance Stamp to be laughable, he seemed to be trying to be one of the mitchell brothers of Eastenders !

Other films such a ESSEX BOYS and CIRCUS have some good ideas but all take themselves far too seriously.

If you want a couple of class british gangster movies then go for GET CARTER, which has a great R2 release and is a film you should never tire of watching ( avoid last years remake ) and also get hold of the CRITERION edition of LONG GOOD FRIDAY, whilst it may only have a mono soundtrack it is more than enough to make this a must own british movie.

After saying that, I must admit to not even having heard of GOING OFF BIG TIME, whats it really like and whats it about ?

4. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0