Going Insane! 65" 4K Please Help!! (Samsung QE65Q6F?)

Just found this:

Sony 65 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED Android TV YouView

Its the Sony KD65XF9005BU - £2184 from Richer Sounds with a 6 year warranty and a free sound bar!

Thoughts?

additional note:

Has Dolby Vision, HDR10 and HLG. Also seems to have Full Array Local Dimming!
It's overpriced still being a 2018 model. People have been getting the predecessor for as low as £1400. You'll have too wait longer if you want a 2018 model at a reasonable price.

The Q7 at £1800 isn't good value either I'm afraid. Looks like you're trying to buy at the wrong time, unfortunately. My advice would be to be patient and wait for the right deal to come along rather than to pay more, for less.

As for the stutter in football on lcds you rely on motion enhancements to clear this up if you aren't happy with how it looks out of the box. Luckily the TVs you're looking at all have 120hz panels and ample controls in this department. Don't expect an LCD to perform well in this respect without using them though, you may be happy without changing motion settings but many people aren't.

It's overpriced still being a 2018 model. People have been getting the predecessor for as low as £1400. You'll have too wait longer if you want a 2018 model at a reasonable price.

The Q7 at £1800 isn't good value either I'm afraid. Looks like you're trying to buy at the wrong time, unfortunately. My advice would be to be patient and wait for the right deal to come along rather than to pay more, for less.

As for the stutter in football on lcds you rely on motion enhancements to clear this up if you aren't happy with how it looks out of the box. Luckily the TVs you're looking at all have 120hz panels and ample controls in this department. Don't expect an LCD to perform well in this respect without using them though, you may be happy without changing motion settings but many people aren't.

But but but... I want it NOWWWWWWW!!!! :suicide:

The only place I can find with Brand New stock of the Q7F is Hughes, after that I have no idea where I'd source one from. It'll be dirt cheap, but with no stock, like last years Sonys are now.

This is frustrating!!

Thank you by the way - as much as I hate your comment, I can't disagree with it lol

......not to mention cheap-shot Samsung marketing tactics.....

You are so correct there and, the unfortunate thing is, people are falling for it. I once heard a friend say "and then you have QLED, Samsung's version of OLED". Of course I quickly put him right but how many others are falling for it?

Martin.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not helped @mjcairney by the fact the Samsungs aren't actually bad TVs. They certainly look very impactful in HDR mode and this really helps them stand out with their demo material in the stores.

Sadly though they had to sell them for something they are not, rather than something they are and as a result of "competing" with OLED they are able to price them a lot more than they are worth, but still below the OLEDs in price.

That will all change soon though with OLEDs coming down in price also, interesting times to come.

Hello everyone!

I ended up buying the Samsung Q7FAMTXXU 65inch.

Got it up on the wall now and I am very happy with it.

I wanted to come on here and thank everyone for the help, advice and information.

I am surprised by how 'black' the blacks actually are, and so far its performing really well. I also tried the BBC iPlayer 4K HLG demos and was blown away! So far so good!

I do, however, have one issue (which seems to be a common problem):

I have SkyQ, and it works fine. However, when playing 4K content (downloaded 4K movies or TV Shows), there is a slight 'flicker' to the screen - its very subtle, but its definitely there. I googled it and it seems its happening to a lot of people with SkyQ. Could be a HDMI cable issue, or maybe the SkyQ box needs replacing.

Thanks to everyone who also advised to get an OLED or Sony with FALD. I know I didn't get either of those, but thanks anyways. I just couldn't risk the 'burn in' with OLED - even if it isn't much of an issue, but some googling of the problem had me worried so I ended up settling for the QLED. I will get an OLED one day, but right now I just didn't want to have any stress worrying about the panel, especially when the TV will be used by other people who may not be as careful as I am.

I didn't go for the Sony with FALD - as much as I wanted FALD, the Sony's in my price range didn't include what I wanted (HLG etc).

Overall, I must say that I am very happy with the Q7 so far. Gaming on this thing is a dream and 4K content looks outstanding!

Thank you all once again for the advice etc, it is very much appreciated. I love this forum, and you'll be seeing me on here as a way more active member!!

Quick edit:

Just want to add that I know the QLED range is still just a normal LCD/LED panel etc. I didn't fall for the 'this is Samsungs version of OLED' cr*p like others might have lol. I just saw this as a good option for me personally and I am aware of the technology and possible "misinformation" that Samsung may be relying on to get people to buy the QLED's.

Have you isolated the issue to Sky Q? If 4K via other sources is fine then try a different hdmi cable - if not solved then speak to Sky. They’ll probably ask you to try a different cable anyway!

This is presuming there’s no updates for either the box or the tv.

Have you isolated the issue to Sky Q? If 4K via other sources is fine then try a different hdmi cable - if not solved then speak to Sky. They’ll probably ask you to try a different cable anyway!

This is presuming there’s no updates for either the box or the tv.

Hi thanks for the comment.

4K from other sources seems 100% fine.

Using built in 'apps' to stream 4K is also fine.

The problem only every arises when I watch downloaded 4K content on SkyQ.

I'll change the HDMI cable this evening and see if it makes a difference.

I did check for 'updates' using the TV 'check for updates' feature, but I have heard that sometimes it will not show an update even if one is actually available, so I'll check on Samsungs site this evening if I can and update via USB. Maybe its just a firmware issue - good thinking!!

I'll report back once I have found the fix for this; its kinda bugging me now.

One other thing - have you got the hdmi port set to receive uhd colour?

@DeeKay86 glad you are generally happy with the new TV. The bug you speak of is probably best discussed in the owners thread but its not the same bug that is talked about with the Samsung Q9FN here is it?

The reason I ask is because the bug explicitly affects 50hz content, although I am not sure if its the same on the 2017 models compared to the 2018 ones.

If it is, you should try turning off dark frame insertion in the motion settings, can't remember what Samsung call it but it will be something like "clear motion". You may also just want to test with Auto Motion plus completely disabled.

Btw, the video author, Vincent for certain has Sky also and notices these bugs.

One other thing - have you got the hdmi port set to receive uhd colour?

Yes - I tried with it off too and it made no difference :(

Best of luck with your new set. :thumbsup:

Martin.

Thank you Martin!!

@DeeKay86 glad you are generally happy with the new TV. The bug you speak of is probably best discussed in the owners thread but its not the same bug that is talked about with the Samsung Q9FN here is it?

The reason I ask is because the bug explicitly affects 50hz content, although I am not sure if its the same on the 2017 models compared to the 2018 ones.

If it is, you should try turning off dark frame insertion in the motion settings, can't remember what Samsung call it but it will be something like "clear motion". You may also just want to test with Auto Motion plus completely disabled.

Btw, the video author, Vincent for certain has Sky also and notices these bugs.

Hi, thanks for this.

Not the same issue I'm afraid. It only occurs on 4K SkyQ content - the screen has a noticeable flicker in dark scenes especially. Motion doesnt even come in to it, as I can pause the movie thats playing and the screen will continue to flicker!! I've tried turning all options on and off etc, nothing makes any difference at all. Its really odd!

I have checked the TV's firmware - it is up to date.

I have also tried a totally different new highly rated HDMI cable, no difference.

Also tried other HDMI ports - again no change!

This leads me to believe that the issue is with the SkyQ box, as the HDMI, HDMI ports and TV all act totally fine with any other hardware.

Apologies for the delayed response, I have been busy watching E3 stuff! Thank you all again!!

Good to know - will avoid 4K movies on Sky, especially ones I have to pay for. I was going to watch Black Panther tomorrow!

Good to know - will avoid 4K movies on Sky, especially ones I have to pay for. I was going to watch Black Panther tomorrow!

Test it first - just download an on demand UHD movie (try IT or Logan) and then pause it in a dark scene. If you see flickering then you have the problem. If not, then you're fine.

Version1 SkyQ boxes seem to have the problem. You might have a Version2 box.

If your SkyQ box has an external power supply, you have a V2 box and should be OK. Do test first though with a free UHD movie (assuming you pay for Sky Cinema).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom