Going HDMI

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by roryLCD, Jan 10, 2008.

1. roryLCD

roryLCD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gonna get myself a new receiver this weekend, as my old one is well out of date, yamaha dobly suround (not even digital)!

i have a panasonic DVD recorder with HDMI, freeview and upscales to 1080i.
    i have a LG 32 inch lcd (which i think can only do 720p :( but not buying a new TV yet)
    i have just finished building my media centre pc

am i right in thinking i can connect DVI-HDMi from the PC and the HDMI to HDMI on the DVD recorder into the amp. then run 1 HDMI lead to the TV?

does this transmit sound, in the case of the DVd recorder so when i am watching TV etc and i dont need the whole surround sound system on? (but it will be on due to the HDMI switching???)

my main question is what amp, budget approx £300 tops. have seen the yamaha 761 for £300, and could afford also the sony models, and the onkyo 505 or the cambridge audio 340R, would like to buy from richer

cheers guys

2. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    HDMI can carry sound, however DVI cannot. So you would need to go HDMI ---> HDMI from your DVDR into the amp and then DVI--> HDMI from your HTPC but also carry an audio connection, optical for example, into the same input.

You then run HDMI --> HDMI to your LCD.

3. rEVILospud

rEVILospud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    With your current equipment you would be better off with forgetting about an HDMI-enabled AV Receiver and focus on the audio side of the Receiver and then get a separate HDMI switch (this would also allow you to watch standard TV with the AV Receiver off).
    PC and DVD recorder would send video through the HDMI switch and onto the TV, and send the audio straight to the AV Receiver and speakers.

An HDMI-ebnabled AV Receiver would only benefit you for future-proofing for new purchases.

Having said that, you might find it hard to find one without HDMI :rolleyes:

4. roryLCD

roryLCD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

yeah i spose if i had an hdmi switch instead i could get a much much cheaper amp, and also as you said, watch TV freeview with the amp off.....

out of those amps below though, which one would be the best???