Going from an old high end DLP (BenQ PE8720) to a new LCD or SXRD worries me

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Totoro, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Totoro

Totoro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've owned two projectors, both DLP PJ's, since movie watching has been a big priority. I'm now about to buy a new PJ, and it seems like the DLP technology is starting to disappear more and more from the marked. I don't want to downgrade, but I can't afford any of the D-ILA PJ's, and I'm also a little skeptical toward LCD and SXRD PJ's because of their relatively low ansi contrast ratings and dust problems. BenQ is also out of the picture because of my problems with the PE8720 (not PQ related), so is the Infocus DLP's because of the high fan noise and high price.

Her are some info about my usage:
    - I have a dedicated HT room with dark walls and ceiling.
    - Colour accuracy out of the box is important, since I don't have the opportunity to have it professionally calibrated.
    - Will be used for 40% Blu-ray's, 30% DVD's and 30% games.
    - I'll probably use it for several hours every day, so a long bulb life is a big plus.
    - Throw distance will be about 3.8 meters and screen size is 92".

With this info in mind, what are my options?

For now, the Mitsu HC6500, the Panny 3000 and the Sony HW10 are the only alternatives I'm considering. But will buying one of these PJ's result in disappointment compared to the excellent PQ quality of the PE8720, or will I be surprised how far these technologies have come the last few years?

Sorry for the long post. Any advice and thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks. :thumbsup:

2. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    Ive always been a dlp man, have had lcd's in the past but for film you cant beat dlp, my latest upgrade from a very good 720 dlp is now the Sony HW10, going to sxrd did concern me but i'm more than happy with it, i'd even say its better for films than dlp, games from my xbox are also spot on.

Colour settings out of the box are renowned on the Sony for being excellent, i've done a few minor adjustments using DVE but not too much and the pic is just so nice.

If you can get a demo of sxrd then do so.

3. Totoro

Totoro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for sharing your experience, emporer. :)

I'm really glad you're happy with your HW10, and it's reassuring to hear that it can match DLP PJ's performance with film material. The HW10 was the hottest contender out of the three I mentioned, it's also costs less than the other two, so I'm leaning hard toward it after reading your post.

My only concern is the LCoS panel, which supposedly could degrade over time. I use my PJ a lot, so this could become an issue sooner than I'd like.

I know the SXRD technology produces a smoother and less grainy image than DLP, but what do you think of image depth and "3D" qualities compared to DLP?

4. Chopsus

Chopsus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    If longevity is an issue go the HC6500 - non organic panels, excellent air filter technology and heat management with low fan noise, long lamp life.

5. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,673
    DLP is still going strong, what are you on about? :confused:

6. jacko5

jacko5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    If you have owned two DLP projectors and have been happy with them, why not stick with DLP?

7. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    This same issue worried me about switching to lcd..i went for an infocus in80 and think its fantastic for the money glad i stuck with dlp.
    I think you wnat to ask yourself the question why you went with dlp in the first place...If you think lcd can match the latest 1080p dlp you may still be dissapointed and i would advise a demo.