Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Going from All in one to separates ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by llanellijack, Mar 31, 2004.

1. llanellijack

llanellijack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

This is my first post in the audio forum and I'd like a bit of advice from the experts ! I have recently purchased a Pioneer 434 hde plasma which I was going to link up with a Sony DAV-S888 All in one system however I have read so much negative feedback regarding All in one systems ( particularly from Sony ) on this forum that I have decided to go down the separates route. The DVD player I have in mind is the Pioneer 868 DVD player to make use of the HDMI on my Pioneer however I have no clue on what amp and speaker set to get ? I will not have a big budget left for these two items so I will be looking to spend somewhere in the region of £600 - £800. Can anyone recommended a good amp and speaker set for this amount of money, I also need it to look fairly stylish ( to satisfy the misses ) which drove me down the All in one route in the first place. Also, how much do you think I would get for an unused Sony DAV-S888 system if I sold it, say on eBay ? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    For £1000 you could get the Kef 2005.2 package with the Marantz SR5400 and would be a very good start on your route to home cinema heaven. I can't really comment on the second hand value of a Sony DAV-S888 system as the numbers on my keyboard don't go that low. Only kidding, I reckon you should be able to get about £100-150 for it if it's in good condition.

Personally I would get a slightly cheaper DVD player like the Arcam DV78 and get a better amp like the Pioneer AX-3 for your kind of budget.