• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question going from a single to dual subs!!

john01707

Established Member
Thinking of going from my single Svs Pb 13 Ultra to dual Sb 16 ultras, or build my own ! looking for some advice on whether its the way forward, it could just be a case of upgrade fever but i really need to feel some more slam . is just moving more air the answer, are two subs a more balanced setup. Is the self build a better option with 16" or 18" drivers with a built in plate amp, not into external sub amps.
A lot of questions, but if your really bored and looking to share info!!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Curious, how large is your room with possible openings?

Have you tried PB13U in different places / measured with REW? You know some people will throw large sub where it looks best/fit, so gotta ask! SVS recommends corner loading (not near any opening) for maximizing performance when good sub eq is present, which you have!

We can assume you also run the sub quite bit hotter (boosting levels after ARC)?

We had some member who was thinking the same thing as you, he was recommended to try PB13U in sealed mode. I don`t remember the whole story, but i think it translated something more punchier which he liked(?). You have 3 tuning options, 15hz mode, 20hz and sealed. Silly question, but you must have compared each one, right? Also would it make difference if changing port tuning after ARC run, not running it every time again when changing port tuning. Example XTZ recommended showing sealed to Audussey, then swapping to vented.

john01707

Established Member
Good morning,
Thanks for the reply. Yes i have tried the sub in different places but it always finds it way back into the same corner. The room is purpose built for the cinema with no windows and one entrance door, its 25' x 16'x 8'6". after running ARC i have turned the gain up, but have not tried it in sealed mode. its a problem running ARC after changing the set up as i only use Mac and not pc which Arc runs on ( i had someone come in to do it ) it would probably be cheaper to by a cheap Pc laptop for the purpose!
The sub is no slouch by any means and after running Arc it has blended into the M&K system perfectly, this could still be my fault for an improper set up as the sub is more than capable of doing the job. I will give your suggestions a go this weekend, and thanks for the reply

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Good morning,
Thanks for the reply. Yes i have tried the sub in different places but it always finds it way back into the same corner. The room is purpose built for the cinema with no windows and one entrance door, its 25' x 16'x 8'6". after running ARC i have turned the gain up, but have not tried it in sealed mode. its a problem running ARC after changing the set up as i only use Mac and not pc which Arc runs on ( i had someone come in to do it ) it would probably be cheaper to by a cheap Pc laptop for the purpose!
The sub is no slouch by any means and after running Arc it has blended into the M&K system perfectly, this could still be my fault for an improper set up as the sub is more than capable of doing the job. I will give your suggestions a go this weekend, and thanks for the reply

I would always think about every trick possible to make the existing sub better first, it will only cost time. :) Try the sealed mode! Near 30sqm room, what ever you choose to do i think most of people would recommend dual route as you can´t argue with the benefits.

About the SB16U model, even duals wouldn´t match the output of one PB13U around 15-20hz, not sure how important this range is for you. And you would lose some "rumble effect" going from vented to sealed. But with large sealed design reportedly it will sound more dynamic and i would assume in the chest punch range (~50-125hz) it could be quite violent when pushed hard.

SVS UK pricing is quite high with certain models. If we compare to PSA S1811 you get 50% more output around 15-100hz (Toms quote). And that is for 1550£ as SVS SB16U will cost 2550£. You won´t get the new features like app control, sexy glossy finish though. Cost/performance wise PSA is tough to beat, DIY route is likely the only more cost effective solution.

powersoundaudioeu

powersoundaudioeu

Last edited:

MattSPL

Established Member
Definitely worth getting Dual subs if you have the opportunity. Much more balanced bass and ease of pressurising the room.

Going the DIY route is definitely better value for money, but does require more setting up etc with EQ, but that’s part of the fun.

john01707

Established Member
Thanks guys, will get back to you soon.just doing something for the company!!

john01707

Established Member
Thanks for the replys, i have looked at the PSA range and do seem excellent value for money. any feedback on them would be appreciated. I guess i am suffering a little from the annual upgrade fever but i really am looking for the chest thumping bass, i used to have an svs pb12plus 2 a few years ago and that was an amazing piece of kit. I will give the suggestions a go the weekend and see what happens, the problem is i have no will power and can talk myself into needing a new piece of kit in minutes.
This can probably all be sorted out by getting the 13 ultra set up properly, but all i can see now is 18" drivers!!

paulst10

Distinguished Member
I've been through a few SVS models including the original PB12+ and a couple of SB13 Ultras and the PSA S1811 are clearly the best subs I've owned, you get insane depth and nice upper bass with plenty of chest slam..

john01707

Established Member
sounds interesting, and its that magic 18" number again

MattSPL

Established Member
You could always go all out and build 2 x 24" monsters :)

john01707

Established Member
now thats just not fair, i have no will power! dont tell me you've done that have you?

MattSPL

Established Member
now thats just not fair, i have no will power! dont tell me you've done that have you?
If I had space for the cabinets or Infinite baffle design I would for sure.
I have dual UM18's, so happy enough.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
From my personal experience, I run dual arendal subs 3s in a relatively small sealed room. 4.8x3.3m.

Having tried various setups, running in sealed mode is definitely best for my setup. Bass becomes really tight and punchy, integration with the speakers is also much better.

In terms of slam, I’ve just bought a buttkicker, but to be honest, the effect is less impressive than what I get from my sub 3s, I still need to fine tune it and will potentially let it deal with sub 40hz stuff, but at the moment, the jury is out.

john01707

Established Member
thanks for the reply, so after playing around with the 13 ultra again the weekend i have hd some success. did the subwoofer crawl again but ended up back in the same corner, re run the ARC again with the same measurements! then spoted a schoolboy mistake, i had it set to 20hz with all ports open, changed it to 16hz moved the crossover on the fronts / centre to 90hz from the 80 set by the arc and all of a sudden things are a lot different. back to deep deep bass but integrated into the system. Happy

john01707

Established Member
P.s still going to go dual 18"s though.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom