going from a 2.1 to a 5.1 help choosing rears and centre

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by AVaddicts, Jan 13, 2017.

1. AVaddicts

AVaddicts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, as title states, im looking at adding more speakers to my current set-up to expand it from a 2.1 to a 5.1

current set-up:

Mains - Monitor Audio BX2s
    BX2

Stands - Soundstyle Z2
    SOUNDSTYLE Z2Black Per Pair

Cable - Qed Signature Revelation
    QED Signature Revelation

Subwoofer - Sunfire HRS12
    SUNFIRE: 12" High Resolution Series Subwoofer - HRS-12

My set-up what put together mainly for music, I absolutely love every second I get spare listening to it, but ive now found myself getting more and more into movies and now think its about time to add some rears and a centre.

the only issue i have is space, so thought id see if you guys can shed some light and offer some suggestion or give some advice.

my current intention is to stick to monitor audio as im more than happy with the BX2s im currently using. the speakers that i have looked at and am considering getting are the small monitor audio vector 10s for the rears and the monitor audio radius 200 for the centre, now before anyone points it out, i do realize that the centre is 6ohm and the rest of the speakers are 8ohm but im sure with a few set up adjustments via the receiver i can balance the slight difference in levels out, but feel free to correct me if im wrong.

but before i commit to buying the V10s and the radius 200 i thought id ask what you guys thought about it first.

2. Deleted member 598831

Deleted member 598831

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In an ideal world, keep the front three the same, or at least same range, so go for the bx centre. As for rears maybe look at the bx fx? Then all your 5 speakers are from the same range and tonally matched. The rears are not as important to match with front 3, but in an ideal world matching would be better.

The 6-8 ohms wont be a problem. Only gets to be an issue with 4 ohm speakers as some avr will struggle with the extra load.

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,437
    Which speakers are best will depend a lot on your room layout and where you can position speakers.
    It may be better to not have a centre at all than have one that is either poorly matched and/or poorly positioned.
    Hence a bit more info on room layout etc. is required. Pictures would help too.