1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

going for the jvc dmr1, any advice - good/bad

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stolt, Nov 26, 2003.

1. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    as per the header decided on the model above and can find at a very good price of £299 delivered, I only want the recorder for my main need of transfering my dv tapes so I can give to family etc plus provide me with backup copies, so the dvds will need to be compatiable with other dvd players. I will just copy straight from the tape so really dont want/need to edit etc on the recorder. secondly I will need to transfer some vhs tapes onto dvd, again these will prob be given to other people aswell. and now and again I might in the future want to record from sky.... I've read many reviews that all say its a decent recorder, can anyone advise if thats the right choice or can advise me a different model that might suit my needs better.

thanks in advice

2. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Looking at the review of the JVC DR M1. in What Video.( I assume that is the model you mean and not the JVC dmr1)? They price it at £500

They give it a very good review but the downside is that it does not have RGB input which you could use with your Sky box.

3. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks malccolm, yep i did mean the drm1 (i've edited the post), didnt realise it didnt have rgb input, can anyone advise a more suitable model...

4. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recording from vhs will only require an s-video in which the JVC has.

Recording from sky on most boxes REQUIRES RGB as view have s-video out and you don't want to use composite.

Recording from a freeview box would be best using rgb.

If you only plan to write once for archiving and sharing, then any panasonic model would do as they all have RGB in and can write to DVD-R which is pretty much universally (90%) compatible. They have a rewriting format of -RAM which is not very compatible at all.

All Philips models have RGB in and write to +RW and +R which are about 80% and 90% compatible respectively. +RW has less features than -RAM but far more compatible.

The Sony's all have RGB in and write to +R , +RW, -R and -RW which are all pretty compatible. -RW in non compatible vr mode has similar features to -RAM. They are expensive but have good build quality. They have a problem when you use component out, rgb in is disabled.

The best value for money option for what you want to do is probably the Panasonic DMR-E50 which can be found for about £230.

5. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS If you want progressive scan, there are currently NO recorders which have BOTH prog scan and RGB in. :(

6. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sony RDR-GX3 / RDR-GX7 will not. :cool:

7. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for the replies, calscot the e50 doesnt have ilink for my camcorder, i guess i'm right in saying that the panny e60 will suit my needs?

8. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The E60 does have iLink

The Panny machines with their built in TBC circuitry are excellent for transfering VHS tapes no matter what the condition of the tape is.

Although i now have two Panny recorders (Greedy brat that I am:D ) I started with the E20 only and transferd my tapes directly to DVD-R because i then had no means of copying from RAM. It was quite easy using the "pause" button where needed etc. Results just superb.

It is worth noting the + format machines to my knowledge do not have a proper TBC circuitry. It's done in the software I believe ,and judging from the complaints I have read about the Philips machines handling worn VHS tapes the software version does not seem to do any where near the same reliable job that the Panny breed do.