1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going for LCD but which one?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by azz, Mar 22, 2004.

1. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi

Ive finally decided to go for LCD and prefer their PQ to plasma

Short list:

Samsung LW32a23, Phillips 30 inch , Sharp 30 inch

I like the samsung because you get more for your money and has had good reviews as have the others; but does anyone have one and is it any good? Good and bad points please?

Price and where to buy would also be appreciated. There is also something troubling me about the samsoung that it is the only LCD TV to suffer Memory screen burn- i read this in this forum?

Is this true?

Thanks

Will be attached to tosh 330 (component)and thomson1000u(RGB scart) freeview box as Laptop PC (Amilo A 1.8)(but only has s-vid out-can i get a DVI converter?Is there such a thing?)

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    I think the samsung is table mount only - you can't wall mount it. Might be an issue for you.

Other than that, I'd say the philips and Sharp are great screens for good prices now.

Or wait a month or two for the new ranges (but more expensive)

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    I have read others' posts about screen 'memory'. Although I haven't ever noticed it on my Samsung 22 incher, my understanding is that it occurs as a result of a residual electrical charge. As such, it will always be temporary. Electrical charges will always leak away to earth in a fairly short period of time. VERY different to the permanent damage done by static images to phophor-based devices - CRT and Plasma.

4. KarlD

KarlD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With regards to the philips, unless the Tosh 330 is progressive scan you won't be able to use the component output. Does have two rgb scarts though

5. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you thought about the JVC 23 and 26 inchers? The latter seems to be well received by owners on the forum and the former is just about to be released.

6. sponshagga

sponshagga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the former has been due for release since december! - I gave up on it!

7. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    tank you all:

I took the plunge from comet and bought the samsung for 1999-oo.

I decided connectivity and screen size was the main issue and could find no where cheeper even on the net.

Good-looks good, can be wall mounted, looks much bigger than 30 inches (76cm ) this is 81cm and the picture is better than expected and even better via component.

Bad-One dead pixel can be seen when dark seens. Lip sync via scart problem Ie like sound dubbed but this is intermittent. also happens with terrestrial arial. also scratch on glass above on/off button. Sometimes when swiching back leaves a green imprssion on black back ground is this the memory problem-goes back to normal once swiched

The engineers coming out on saturday and comet have told me they do not do refunds unless unable to repair it.

What should i do ? they offerd 30 pounds for the scraches which i refused

Please help?
    Should i call the credit card company

Azz

8. sponshagga

sponshagga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thought comet had a 28 day refund policy on faulty goods. Anyways I had a problem on a thomson 32" plasma from them and they messed me around for 4 months until I got onto Barclaycard. Within a week they gave me a refund. they are really very poor in my experience on customer service and if I didn't know about Barclays back up i would never buy from them again. all barcleaycard required was details that i had tried for, and been refused a refund. Get the big boys in! even Comet run scared of them

9. John Boy

John Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just gone through the same motions as yourself, and have now ordered my JVC 32" from Digital Direct, at Least a grand cheaper than any where else, and was only launched last week, so hot off the press, the 26" had such a great write up, couldn't turn the 32" down.

John

10. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thank you,

I will get on to my credit card company Nationwide/VISA. I hope i have the same success

I was told by comet that they do not do refunds on plama LCD only repair-i was furious

Should i wait till saturday when their engineer comes or do it now?

Azz

I definitely do not want to be messed arround for weeks or months- i definitely do not want a faulty brand new set repaired

11. .Griff.

.Griff.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Samsung IS wall mountable.

12. sponshagga

sponshagga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the engineer will no doubt come look at your LCD tv and with an intake of breath say "nah mate we don't touch 'em" then give you samsungs number and you will be bounced back and forth. Comet engineers don't fix lcd's or plasmas and there is usually a repair contract with the manufacturers themselves. Don't accept a repair on a set you've had for less than a month. Demand a refund or replacement you have the law behind you on this- over two months maybe not but less than this for sure. This could be one of those nightmare friday evening/ monday morning sets that gives constant grief. If they refuse to refund or replace get onto the credit card company. ....I can't believe they told you they dont replace lcd tv's - they are getting worse and worse! One thing the engineer can do is give you a docket saying it's confirmed faulty...thats about it.

13. llanellijack

llanellijack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How these clowns actually manage to stay in business I'll never know :mad:

14. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks sponshagger, and everyone else

Im keeping my fingers crossed regauding the engineer but im worried their going to say

1. the dead pixel is within tolerance
    2. the lipsync problem as intetmittent is you freeview box arial feed. How do they fix these problems anyway. I have to reviews and both their sets had slight lipsync problems.

3. How do we know you did not cause the scratches your self

Azz

I wil keep you infomed-my credit card company is sending me a dispute form anyway

15. sponshagga

sponshagga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as the scratch goes, legally, the burden is on them to prove it wasn't damaged, not on you. The credit card company will be aware of this

16. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Update:

The comet engineer was very reasonable-he said that yes they do not repair them it was a refund or exchange.

I will be taking the slip he gave me with the telly in the next few days.

I hope theres no time limit (other than the 28d) and the store does not give me any grief.

Will someone update me on the JVC 32incher-is it 81cm viewing etc because it looks like a toss up between this and the new phillips 32 inch out soon (subject to price).

Interestingly the samsung is no longer on comets website-is this because a new model is imminent or have they had too many problems or set the price too low?

i will let u know what the store does!

Azz

17. John Boy

John Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The JVC 32" going by there spec is 81cm viewing, the price has just come down again at Digital Direct by about £150, although I am still waiting for mine to be delivered, will be 2 weeks on Thursday, hopefully this week!!!!!

18. fishyuk

fishyuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think there has been another price drop from Samsung so that may indicate a new model on the way, or their intention to try and move 32" prices down towards the £1500 level.

The effects of competition finally seem to be having a little effect (ignoring Sony who are on a different planet with few inhabitants).

19. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I took my samsung 32 inch LCD today different manager, no quible.

Got refund

The search is on again!!

Azz

Thanks all