Going for a new build ...

BarryM

Standard Member
Its been a while since I done a new build, my Intel Quad Core and 8GB RAM hit 6 years old last month. Its still going strong but its time to move it into being the secondary machine ... seeings how one of my kids got my secondary machine.

Its going to be for gaming and encoding video. Hoping to get another six years out of a new chip, board, RAM, etc. so Im going for an i7. It will probably have 32GB RAM and a 2 or 3GB 660Ti.

My problem is that I havent bothered keeping up and there is this iGPU on Intel's now. Im pretty sure I dont need it, but thought Id check.

I read there is an Ivybridge v2 without the iGPU ... but I have no idea right now how to tell them apart.

So any ideas what chip I want?

RustySpoons

The non GPU chips are the non K versions or the Xeon's, like the 1230v2

dacads

What's your budget? Intel are releasing their new line of chips in June. At the moment it's the i7 3770k, the Haswell equivalent will be 4770k I believe although there will be a few other variations of the chip.

GPU wise I would go with a Radeon 7950/7970 as they are better value for money especially with the included games :)

delta_42

Novice Member
The non GPU chips are the non K versions or the Xeon's, like the 1230v2

That's not quite right, the K chips are the overclockable ones, the chips with the 'P' suffix omit the IGD, but they tend to be quite low down the range. That or the Xeons that end in 0.

RustySpoons

That's not quite right, the K chips are the overclockable ones, the chips with the 'P' suffix omit the IGD, but they tend to be quite low down the range. That or the Xeons that end in 0.

Yeah you're correct, what I meant was the non k come with basic graphics.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom