Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Going for a LCD, BUT quality is worrying me!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by craynerd, Aug 13, 2005.

Tags:
  1. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had another post going, regarding buying a 32" LCD, for my new appartment as a new home owner, so basically i`m just getting into understanding all this stuff, lcd, plasma, hd...ect ect

I have been looking to buy like a 32" lcd on a budget! I mean say £800-900 so like something like a Toshiba 32WL56 , and the reviews look good, but a lot of concern over the quality of the picture. So after thinging about it, i have decided to save up and extend my budget, so i looked for the Panny txt32LXD500, 5 star rating.........yet after looking at all your reviews THERE are still quality issues! Black is poor at night viewing, well when i`m watching a movie, it`ll be at night time...so thats no good!

MY point is....i can tell some of you guys REALLY know your stuff, are you nit-picking or are they easy to spot issues? I mean, i`m just a guy who wants a LCD so i can wall mount it for space (and fashion lol) reasons, and just wants to watch a good quality picture on my TV. I will be buying a av reciver eventually (next few months) so i`ll be playing the sound through 5.1 eventually.

It just seems a LCD is very very expensive and i would be getting much more TV for my money with a normal CRT! Or are these things your talkin about hard to spot, are you really trying to criticise these tvs?

i`m just so confused, an lcd seems a lot of money and from what you guys are saying i`m worried i`m going to be disapointed with it!! :(

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    LCD's weak black level is easy to spot in a darkened room. Be sure you buy something that has a Backlight control, so at least it psychologically feels like you can combat it to some extent. After a lot of playing around with it, I learned to accept it. Overall I far prefer my LCD TV compared to any other CRT I've owned. The comparitively poor black level doesn't seem as big a deal when you consider that you have a geometrically perfect image, without any big ugly scan-lines, blooming, or interlace flicker.

The black level on today's LCDs is also much better than older ones, I should add.

I think if you spent enough money and went to a store before to demo before you bought anything, it's an issue you'd learn to accept.

3. ViolentReaction

ViolentReaction

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Do you rate the Tosh 32WL56 Lyris?

4. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Another thing, i will only have standard RF input for the tv, i.e BBC1,2 ITV cn4. Will this make the quality even worse as i presume the best way to recieve these channels is through digital.??

5. stu.artd

stu.artd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +329
    LCD's often seem to struggle with terrestrial and low quality TV inputs.

I was in a retail store yesterday with a split feed of BBC1 running to a number of LCD TV's and the best picture by far was on their Sony Wega LCD's, followed by a Pansonic LXD50 and a 23" JVC.

6. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The Panasonic LT32LXD500 has Freeview and analogue TV - after I set mine up I had to go back to my Trinitron CRT for a few days (space needed until the CRT goes) - was strange to go back to CRT. I like the 3D quality the Panny affords - the blacks seem fine to me - and this is a bright room.

I've got the VDE DVD to set the picture up when the set is fully installed.

The Freeview picture is surprisingly good to excellent.

H

7. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Typically RF input has resulted in poor(ish) pictures, but it'll probably vary between brands, and only seeing them in the flesh will let you see which has done a better job.
    Got a Sharp 32 GD1 - very acceptable with an NTL analog signal. Got digital in today, but not had enough time to make sure everything's optimised.
    First impressions are good - a definite improvement in some areas, but not mindblowingly different. That'll have to wait until HD hits.
    So, Sharp is one to consider, even if the price is a bit over budget. Look for the new P50 or GA6 coming this month. GD7 coming too, to replace the GD1, but price will be higher, as it retains the external connection box-come-Freeview receiver., which the other 2 don't.