Going Dual Subs... Finally!

JustinT350

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

I've finally decided to take the plunge and go from 5.1.4 to 5.2.4 after about 6 months of reading about the benefits of dual subwoofers.

I've ordered a second SVS PB2000 Pro through Chris at @AmericanAudio and really can't thank him enough for his help. I'm hoping the sub will arrive this week and I can have a play about with setting it up on Thurs/Fri.

My current set up is a Denon 3700H which has the two subwoofer outlets. And I've ran the second cable already. First subwoofer is already at the back right of the room. And second one is going front left. Unless I come across any major issues. I don't particularly want two at the front, nor do I have room for two at the back.

I've currently got the room Audyssey'd and have applied a few PEQ filters through the SVS app. I have an UMIK. My question just now is.. what should be my order for setting everything up? I'm assuming..

1. Remove PEQ.
2. Connect subs. REW now?
3. Run audyssey
4. REW?
5. Apply new PEQ / Curves if required?

And what should be my first movie for trialling the dual sub set up? :)

Congrats! I am sure you are going to love going with duals. As far as movies to try out .. Dune (2021) .. BR 2049 .. Mad max Fury Road .. Ready Player One.

Good selection there. I've not seen Dune yet

I've got BR2049 but really didn't enjoy it.

RPO is a good call, definitely have that one

If you're not putting anything like a minidsp or an antimode in the chain then the best thing to do is probably to run audyssey and then run REW.

Let Audyssey do what it wants, and then you can check and see what the combined response is like and add any extra EQ you feel is neccesary.

The other way to do it would be to run REW first to check the individual and combined responses, and take out any large peaks in the response with the SVS PEQ. There's no guarantee that Audyssey won't try and undo whatever you did. If you use phase to time align them, for example, it might undo that time alignment.

Thanks. That was my thoughts.

I'll update this thread once I'm up and trucking with the two..

Well done, Justin!

I remember you posting on my Thread about going dual last year, so I'd like to take partial credit for your decision and bask in my reflected glory!;)

I think the first thing you'll notice is the lack of localisation and how much smoother the bass response in your room. The other is how much more room-filling it will feel.

Looking forward to your updates, but I'll be very surprised if you're disappointed with your decision.

Well done, Justin!

I remember you posting on my Thread about going dual last year, so I'd like to take partial credit for your decision and bask in my reflected glory!;)

I think the first thing you'll notice is the lack of localisation and how much smoother the bass response in your room. The other is how much more room-filling it will feel.

Looking forward to your updates, but I'll be very surprised if you're disappointed with your decision.
Ha thanks! There have been plenty threads that have contributed to me going for it but yours was definitely one of them.

I'm just hoping it's a simple set up.

Last step will be to get the room painted once I can settle on a colour and think that'll do it.

Ha thanks! There have been plenty threads that have contributed to me going for it but yours was definitely one of them.

I'm just hoping it's a simple set up.

Last step will be to get the room painted once I can settle on a colour and think that'll do it.
If you're struggling at all, then I'd recommend you PM @Gasp3621 - he was unbelievably patient and detailed with me, and his instructions were always clear and easy to follow.

I kept the conversation just in case I ever need to refer to it again in future, as this technical stuff doesn't really come naturally to me at all.

Will you update with some pictures too?

The other way to do it would be to run REW first to check the individual and combined responses, and take out any large peaks in the response with the SVS PEQ. There's no guarantee that Audyssey won't try and undo whatever you did. If you use phase to time align them, for example, it might undo that time alignment.
In my experience that’s what it does. It ignores what has been set beforehand and does it’s own thing. I don’t know if it’s something to do with it’s fixed algorithms.

Last edited:
I'll get some pics up and REW sweeps in here, once I've got it painted I'll get my thread updated.

Never thought this 'hobby' would be so expensive 🤣

I'll get some pics up and REW sweeps in here, once I've got it painted I'll get my thread updated.

Never thought this 'hobby' would be so expensive 🤣
That's what I keep telling myself every day!

Oh and you'll love going dual and wonder why you didn't do it earlier 🤣😉👌

Yeah I'm almost sure I'll love it. Just the thought of spending another £1k for little gain!

Yeah I'm almost sure I'll love it. Just the thought of spending another £1k for little gain!
That very much depends on your personal definition of "little gain". I couldn't fit PB2000 in my living room, so went with their smaller SB siblings. My OH (who was against duals at all costs) seemed happy enough putting them through their paces yesterday though! 🤣😉

That very much depends on your personal definition of "little gain". I couldn't fit PB2000 in my living room, so went with their smaller SB siblings. My OH (who was against duals at all costs) seemed happy enough putting them through their paces yesterday though! 🤣😉

Here's sb2000 pro cut out as comparison to 13" Monoprice. The flappy bits of the card included in sb2000 width

Attachments

• IMG_20220321_132629320~2.jpg
    IMG_20220321_132629320~2.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting - and while I'd love dual Mono 13's - it's a no go due to space constraints. Not forgetting that my 5.2.4 setup is in my living room!

Edit: I also use my system for dual 50/50 music to movies. Therefore the balance of 2 good sealed subs is preferable for me personally.

I did consider the SB range but my use is 99% movie use I'd say, so went with the recommended PBs

I did consider the SB range but my use is 99% movie use I'd say, so went with the recommended PBs
The PB versions of the SVS's are 100% better in terms of low end grunt vs their SB siblings, so your choice makes perfect sense in a near pure movie use setup.

I am perfectly happy given my usage split and feel the SB gives me "the best of both" as a result. sealed are known to be "better for music" and I certainly don't feel I'm missing anything LFE film wise. Especially running 2 of them!

The PB's will certainly give you that grin factor!

Well, its arrived already! I forgot how big the box is!

Just setting up REW just now and this is my current sweep with single sub, Audyssey, and PEQs set in SVS App..

1648037890950.png

Hopefully that screen and graphs are right going forward?

And this is with the sub back to factory settings

1648038698913.png

Attachments

• 1648038514532.png
    1648038514532.png
    383.2 KB · Views: 98
Graphs look good, there's almost nothing between the reset and pre-reset measurements.
LS looks best

Nice piano and a superb looking HT set up and room!

Ok and this is both subs after running Audyssey (both were running too high for Audyssey so tweaked down at the start of running the room correction)

Oddly it seemed better before hand?

1648040333418.png

Ok so this is where I've got to so far.. Both the Left Seat and Right seat look pretty good, but the main seat (MLP) Brown line doesn't look great.

1648045599308.png

I've been playing around with the phases/polarity of both subs in the app.

Being honest, totally underwhelmed right now. I've watched Jurassic Park, Hans Zimmer in Prague and a few other scenes from LoTR and Godzilla.

I'm pretty sure I can get this a bit better, but still no real punch from the subs at all. I also remember now how much time REW seems to suck out of your day. Taking a break!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom