• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Going down the HomeAssistant Rabbit hole

jouster

So I tried playing with HomeAssistant a couple of years ago on an rPi but in truth, I had no idea what I was doing and very little patience to persevere with things...

Just a few weeks ago I got a new NAS that has Docker functionality and reading good things about HASS in a docker I decided to give it another go and I'm really glad I did....there has been a lot of tinkering involved and hours and hours of failures and retires (but that's smart homes for you) and IM starting tog et somewhere where I'm happy most bases are covered.

So far I've got all speakers (Sonos and Alexa) controlled and monitored. Live camera reviews from my IP cameras, my solar generation is monitored giving live production and daily totals, my broadband speed is checked throughout the day, presence detection for myself and the wife (this is more to prepare for when our kids have phones and are in and out of the house after school), my Plex system monitors where it is being played and by whom...and even my latest Strava activities are listed with stats for YTD runs and rides.

Of course, it's all very specific to me so definitely not a one setup fits all but that is the beauty of HASS I guess

Its currently running via the iOS app on phones and tablets and on a portrait monitor in my study where I work from home. Going forward Id like to get this set up on some wall-mounted and directly powered tablets giving access to the plethora of information it can provide and the alerts and sequences I use regularly...(even got a button to announce to kids that its lunch and dinner time).

Next, I'm trying to set up both IP camera detection via HTTP alerts and also voice alerts from Alexa when either of my GoGoGate attached garage doors are left open....but those things have eluded me so far so far more tinkering still to be done

Any other HASS tinkerers here?

1598433866496.png

1598436146776.png

1598436165750.png

D

Deleted member 24354

Although I am a homeseer user I am going to be tinkering with HASS for MQTT and Rednode. It is very early days at the moment, but there is method in my madness. I run a Honeywell security system and I am part of a group working on taking sensor outputs, directly from the alarm panel into MQTT that can be read by either Homeseer or HASS. This then means that you can harness the functionality of the alarm systems PIRs (armed or un-armed) to trigger HA events, such as room occupancy. This will be a game changer in so many ways as the alarm can become an integral part of HA platform without compromising the Alarm's security.

D

Deleted member 24354

Maybe have a look at a magic mirror. That would be a very cool way of displaying some of your HASS info without having to put a tablet on the wall

Fabien

@mushii - Let me know if you need any technical info regarding MQTT as I am friends with its Chief Architect (IBM)

I also have integrated my standalone security system (non-Honeywell) into my HA system (non-HASS / Homeseer)....Network connection into Alarm and monitoring sensor activity (as String information). Expect there are similarities.

Apologies for the hijack.

Fabien

jouster

well, I'm certainly glad I did this now...with IFTTT going to a premium plan for anything more than 3 Applets, I will be losing the majority of the 18 I currently use.

Annoyingly, some I use the most are the ones that connect Alex to my home garage door openers...so that will be gone.

But thanks to Home Assistant, I've been able to ink it Siri shortcuts with ease. and now I will plan to move everything off of IFTTT as soon as possible

jouster

I’ve been tweaking things further for different monitors with a view to getting a permanent wall mounted setup in the kitchen

I’ve got an existing wall mounted PC in there already but it’s massive overkill and quite power hungry being an all in one.

AC828AD3-EAA8-42DD-AE5B-A9FFFF5CDBCE.jpeg

so found this on Amazon today and thinking pairing it with an rPi and putting it inside a custom made (or existing frame if I can find one somewhere) so a cheapish touchscreen with everything I’d need and all home controls on tap that I’m happy to tweak over time

jouster

I’ve been tweaking things further for different monitors with a view to getting a permanent wall mounted setup in the kitchen

I’ve got an existing wall mounted PC in there already but it’s massive overkill and quite power hungry being an all in one.

View attachment 1402007

so found this on Amazon today and thinking pairing it with an rPi and putting it inside a custom made (or existing frame if I can find one somewhere) so a cheapish touchscreen with everything I’d need and all home controls on tap that I’m happy to tweak over time
Really impressed with the idea I had of putting a QR code on the system to my guest network. No more telling guests the password. Just open their cameras and scan

jouster

So I’ve finally picked up a 10 inch FireHD for wall mounted duties.

Once you’ve stripped all of the horrible bloatware that comes with Amazon tablets, it’s actually pretty decent.Even managed to get the built in camera to be used for motion detection ai the screen isn’t on all the time which makes much more sense.

DCFC34E9-DD1F-408C-A55D-6E15618AAF6B.jpeg

annoyingly there are no wall Mount frames I can find for sale in the U.K. I’ve had a kind offer of printing one if I can find the right STL file but in truth there dont seem to be any out there. I have seen this one from the US but it seems well reviewed AND they sell the power cable additions making things a bit simpler going forward as well.

jouster

Is that the XPS 2720? How did you wall mount it? I have an identical one & it doesn't seem possible without hacking the back plate
i think its a 2310...but don't quote me on that...this has a standard vesa 100x mount

jouster

Whilst I appreciate that Home Assistant is always a w rok in progress and will never really be finished, the last few days have sertainly got me deeper still

Started playing tith conditional cards so I can see media players only when they are playing media, thids goes for PS4 games as well and also any Spotify content being played on any device. This of corse frees up a lot more space on the displays which can only be a good thing but then of course I wil jsut find things to fill the voids.

Also started messing about with Apple Watch actions which I didnt have any idea about really and although its been a hell of a lot of tinkering ( and an issue with some of the published "how to's" causing some issues (thankfully someone on Redit pointed me in the right direction), Ive not got that fully up and running so I cna nnow pull up my 2 garage doors from a watch complication...in truth ive always been able to access the garage doors from the native watch app (GoGoGate) but its never bne that quick and this on the complication is instant. In truth I also use Siri shortcuts to open the door straight from a raise of the wrist, but I want to get it working from a complication to get the wife using it a bit more rather than her digging out the car keys (wtih the garage door plipper on it), time till tell if that actually happens.

Have to say it really iis so impressive how HASS makes anything compattible with everything else.

Im now starting to look into taking the whole system offline so that any Alexa input wont require any internet access to perform the myriad of tasks we use it for in the home. This will require the use of some Amazon developer tools and possibly even chcnging my Amazon account, but if it works, it will be a big step up and not having to evey rely on internet access again for smart home control is a big bonus. Of course if I were one to be worried about Alexa nd privacy issues (im not) it would be an even bigger benefit.

Also looking to get some shelly devices involved to take some lighting and plug sockerts fully automated and again offline so I can have further control over pwoer use.

In truth its going to take a long time to pay off the expense of the kit required , although its not as expesnive as it could be, in trith its more for convenience and because it can be done...but the ability to start shuttting off any/all electrical devices that arent needed to be on between the hours of say midnight and 6-7am, is quite attractive.....not only because it will be a step in the right direction for moving towards being off grid of an evening, with batteries fed from the days solar production, but also to reduce my carbon footprint a little bit more .....shelly also do some clever solar pv monitoring and consumption kit as well, which again ties in nicely to Home Assistant...

I really cant imagine being with out it now....

D

Deleted member 24354

This is why I chose Homeseer all of its interactions are already offline, including Alexa. It was a fundamental factor in choosing a HA platform. Everything is a local transaction. It’s one of the reasons that it is very responsive.

jouster

My current Inverter (Solis) have a dongle you plug in which then updates to a website/app for measurements.

I also use PVPUTPUT and it’s possible to spit that details into home assist so I use that for current generation and running daily total.

Will hopefully put the Shelly EM to good use along with MQTT (which I’ve never used before) so enabled even more generation info AND paired with consumption data, make things easier to manage for the family.

jouster

a few more tweaks adding icon colour to certain states...ie where download speeds are currently and battery levels on phones..also custom icons for certain functions

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
I must admit I’ve been sucked into a good few YouTube videos recently, and I’m thinking of either going so the home assistant or hubitat route. From what I’ve seen, hubitat is a bit easier, but I have an unused raspberry pi, which won’t be super quick but will effectively be free.

jouster

it's amazing how far trial and error can get you...
as I got some new wifi Smart bulbs this weekend, I decided to see how much flexibility I could expose via Home Assistant and it appears quite a lot.

Now in truth, I knew this was more than likely available as Id seen very similar on many examples across the HASS Forums, but as all of my lights are running locally (none of that dodgy cloud stuff) I wasn't quite sure of just how much control I could have without affecting the 'local' control that is far more important to me.

Happy to say that I got all I wanted and more...and apart from having to try lots of different Event IDs to get the full setup right, it's now working well.

The biggest plus side, for me at least, is that there is no delay when using localtuya as opposed to going via their (or any other) cloud.

johndon

I've recently got in to Home Assistant which I'm temporarily running in a VM on a MacBook although I will make the move to a Rasberry Pi at some point. You've certainly got to put the time in to ii but I'm loving it so far, got a dashboard running on a wall mounted iPad.

I've not scratched the surface yet and the only automation I currently have is to play music on one of the Sonos speakers when I get home.

Last edited:

jouster

I've recently got in to Home Assistant which I'm temporarily running in a VM on a MacBook although I will make the move to a Rasberry Pi at some point. You've certainly got to put the time in to ii but I'm loving it so far, got a dashboard running on a wall mounted iPad.

I've not scratched the surface yet and the only automation I currently have is to play music on one of the Sonos speakers when I get home.
From what I’ve seen, I’d highly recommend using an SSD with the rPi rather than an Ss card

jouster

I’m sure you’re already aware but say goodbye to your spare time and welcome to constantly crouching over a keyboard testing multiple different options time and time again

I’m still tinkering

johndon

This is my current dashboard displayed on the wall mounted iPad with 4 tabs. As mentioned, I'm only scratching the surface so far but it has been an interesting journey...

Home (this is the default tab that is usually displayed):

Home.jpg

Cameras (Nest):

Cameras.jpg

Music (Sonos):

Music.jpg

Sensors:

Sensors.jpg

jeremylondon

Novice Member
I am tinkering with Home Assistant also.

This is my second go in a different house. I can add heating, Shelly, Sonoff etc and have that running.

I tried with no luck to get a live CCTV feed based on HikVision cameras and also to connect to sky tv etc.

I am never really sure what connecting to Sky tv would give me as I control it using the remote!

I have tinkered with scripts and the home screen but both will take a lot more time. Has anytime across anyone who will help write this stuff - for a fee of course?

I am building a large new house and HA will run it. They are just finishing the foundations so I have a bit of time yet. Last house was controlled by Sonoff which worked well but is clunky in places and I supplemented it with other systems - and of course they never talked to each other.

My motivation is self maintenance and also not paying Control 4 a fortune!

jouster

I also tried things initially before Lovelace was a thing and found it a bit too much...Lovelace made it a whole new ball game for me.

I've managed to get almost everything I want working well....I have set some stuff up for friends/family but one thing i will say is, this might be an easier way BUT knowing how these things work will only help you in the long run, especially as Home Assistant can and does break down on occasions...that said its really just a case of try, try , try ,try and try again....and then see they've added something new so start from scratch and do it all over again

I love and hate HASS at the same time...when it works it's brilliant, but when I cant easily work something out it can be quite tedious....

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom