• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

going directly to black with an LCD projector

foolingreens

Standard Member
I apologize for what may seem like a simple question but I am very new to this forum and looking for a solution for our theatre group.
An upcoming play will have brief sequences of images played between scenes. We had hoped to use an LCD projector but there does not seem to be any way to go directly from our images to black without an intermediate blue screen or shut down sequence. We then have to be able to start up instantly for the next montage.
Does anyone know of a projector that would allow us to do so or another work around that would accomplish the same thing?
Thanks in advance
Andy

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
The Panasonic PT-AE3000 has a blanking function which effectively disables any incoming video signals and displays a blank screen. You also have the choice whether the blank screen is blue or black. This blanking function can be operated with a single button press.

Now, obviously, when the blanking function is being used, the projector lamp is still powered on and as such the black blanking screen will never be perefectly pitch black. The Panasonic is one of the best projectors at its price point for black levels. You are unlikely to notice that the black blanking screen is not perfectly black unless you are operating it in completely pitch black conditions.

Last edited:

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
If you have physical access to the projector during the performance then you could simply place something opaque - a piece of card, for example, between the lens and screen.....

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
most pj's will allow you to choose the colour of the blank no input screen, be it blue or black- have you tried going through the menu to see if you have this option, as you said you had hoped to use an lcd projector i assume you had one up and were using it until the problem kicked in.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom