Going Deaf...Need a Solution...

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Doug1776, Dec 5, 2018 at 4:28 PM.

1. Doug1776

Doug1776
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, this may be an unusual question, but I am going deaf and would love to be able to watch tv with the family without having to turn the volume up so high that it drives everyone else from the room. Do any tv's or accessories allow a pair of headphones to be plugged into the tv's sound system WITHOUT cancelling out the audio for everyone else watching? I just need a way to hear and adjust volume on headphones while allowing the family to watch tv at normal volume. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

2. Tareb

Tareb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Maybe it is possible to add a sound source with a headphone jack. E.G you use a receiver and play the sound for your family out of the receiver. You can than use the headphone jack in your TV to get the audio there. You can even use the volume control for the TV without disturbing the audio out of the receiver.

Same technique will work for Soundbars. Just play the sound from second last source of audio and get the headphone sound from the last source.

hth

3. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,815
    Even if it's a slightly different solution in the end, the idea of this is very good.

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,446
    Most Panasonic and Sony TV's will allow you to use headphones with their own level control without affecting the built-in speakers.
    Also, some Turkish Vestel-based models likewise.

5. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +629
    You could use an optical to bluetooth audio adapter with bluetooth headphones. This does not affect normal volume control of the TV.

6. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,446
    As long as the internal speakers aren't muted when optical is used.
    Believe it or not some LG models from a few years ago did this if optical was selected.
    I know of no other brand that muted the speakers when optical out was selected.

7. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +629
    I’ve not come across any TVs that do this personally so was unaware - most TVs have a setting that allows you to disable the internal speakers rather than acting automatically if an optical cable is plugged in. I’ve owned a variety of Samsung, Panasonic and Sony TVs over the years and none disable the speakers when the optical out was used.

I currently use the optical-bluetooth transmitter approach with my B&W PX headphones for the same reason as the OP on a TV that does not have bluetooth support for headphones built in. The bluetooth transmitter is USB powered from a spare port on the TV so is completely hidden behind the screen.

8. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,446
    I'd never come across it either. It was just a particular series of LG's from a few yrs ago that did it. There was no optical out by default, you had to select it within the sound menu and when you ticked the box the internal speakers muted. Crazy design.
    Some modern LG's now give you the option of “Internal speakers + optical” in the sound menu.