• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Going crazy! How set up Apple Airport Extreme to work with Youview Box?

GE90

Hi All

Would anyone be able to help me to get my Apple Airport Extreme working with my new Humax DTR-T1000? I seems like some form of bridge setting is required, but I have no idea where to start!

Thanks very much

GE90

Well..... I need the internet connection to get the extra channels. Works fine with the supplied 'crappy' router, but not the Apple Airport Extreme!

Last edited:

Faust

Well..... I need the internet connection to get the extra channels. Works fine with the supplied 'crappy' router, but not the Apple Airport Extreme!

In order for your AX to work you need to have it connected to a router. Once connected you can then use the router for traffic or use the router in Bridge Mode (best option) with the router simply acting as a gateway to the Internet. In Bridge Mode your AX can then take over full router duties for your entire home network. The AX does not have its own modem hence the need to connect it to your adsl router in some form.

GE90

Sounds like a plan, thanks.

However, I know it is a big ask, but would you be able to give a bit more detail as to how I do this, or some form of step by step guide?

Thanks again.

Faust

Sounds like a plan, thanks.

However, I know it is a big ask, but would you be able to give a bit more detail as to how I do this, or some form of step by step guide?

Thanks again.

Not quite that simple I'm afraid. Every router is different and many are locked down by your ISP. If you can get into router settings and there is an option for bridge mode then that is the one you need to tick. Once you have done that then setting up your AX is a very simple matter as the wizard will take you through the setup process. In my case I couldn't get into my router so I bought a cheap TP-Link which just acts as a modem, which is all I needed.

KAIZR

My BT Youview box would not receive the extra internet channels unless connected to a Home Hub router. I phoned BT to inquire how to get the addtional channels using my Airport Extreme as my Homer Hub 3 frequently dropped the internet connection, so the BT tech guy talked me through all the possible solutions for my Airport Extreme but to no avail.

I was then sent a new Home Hub 5 but I encountered the same internet problems as with the previous Home Hub router.

I decided to lose the internet channels in favour of keeping a stable intent connection with the Airport Extreme.

If you have x2 Airport Extreme devices, then you can connect the slave Airport device to the Youview box (wired) in one room and then use wifi to the main Airport unit. But I am not aware of any other bridging options with regard to keeping all Youview channels (i.e. the internet channels).

Faust

As said previously you need something like a cheap TP-Link router which can be set to bridge mode. This is the unit your telephone cable goes into. You then run and ethernet cable from the TP-Link to the AE and go through set up using the Airport utility. Once done your AE handles all your network traffic whilst the TP-Link is simply acting as a gateway to the Internet.

If you have Infinity then you may need a different modem, I'm not sure as there's more chance of me winning the lottery than ever seeing fibre BB where I live.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom