going back to iphone...5 or 4s?

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by whos mother, Feb 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. whos mother

whos mother

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    after flirting with android yet again i have decided to sell my s3 and go back to the iphone,i do this periodically i had an s2 and went back to the iphone 4 then i got the s3

I have decided to go back because I miss the smoothness and functionality of the iphone and i am comparing this to a 4 not even a 4s!!!!.....my main problems with the s3 are it is too big and the keyboard is shocking on it,I make so many mistakes its untrue,and even though its quick it does have that slightly jittery feel I only get with androids...there are some great features on it but I dont use them at all its too much phone in every sense for me

if i get the 4s and save myself roughly 150-200 quid will i have that nagging doubt i should have got the 5...is it head and shoulders above a 4s,or is itbasically a remodeled version of a similar phone

2. wiggleyleeds

wiggleyleeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    The stock Samsung keyboard is terrible. Have you tried Swiftkey keyboard from the play store, it's so good you can literally type without looking at the screen, much better than the iPhone keyboard.

Also, you may need to upgrade to the latest jellybeans firmware because I know at least with my nexus 4, it's smoother and snappier to use than my old iphone5 I find.

3. whos mother

whos mother

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    at least im not imagining the keyboard issue,its the worst thing ive ever typed on:laugh: the iphone keyboard i thought was marvellous and i dont remember the s2 being as bad as this

i am already on the latest firmware and while the phone is snappy,im a bit underwhelmed by it,its nothing I can describe or pinpoint but i feel the speed comes at a cost.There are a million cool features but I am finding them to be useless for me and the screen is just too big for everyday use as simply a phone,I browse a lot fb,twitter,take photos,messages and calls send the odd email and thats pretty much it.

when i am in a conversation just scrolling through messages is blisteringly fast but its not smooth there is a definite jerkiness/rough feel to it,same with most of the menus...as an everyday phone for comfort,texting,twitter and the like my old iphone 4 was a pleasure to use,admittedly it wasnt fast per se but the extra speed hasnt floored me as I had hoped

maybe im just not the kind of user to benefit from what big android phones bring to the table

one other point I am not a big app fan but one i use a lot is the natwest one on this same as on my old s2 it crashes all the time on the iphone not once did i ever have a problem

4. TwoJs

TwoJs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,869
    That's the good thing about iOS you will find apps are so much more polished and bug free plus the devs always seem to release updates for iOS first before android !

5. williamus

williamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Erm... yes and no. It's evolution not revolution.

Yes - you will have a nagging doubt that you should have got the 5 rather than the 4s. I know, I did. I ended up with buying the 5 only a couple of months after upgrading to the 4s from a 4. Yes, it's a wonderful piece of kit and it does everything a little bit faster and a little bit better than the 4s but...

No - IMHO it's not head-and-shoulders above the 4s and there are things that I actually prefer about the 4s to the 5. Would I go back to a 4s? No I wouldn't.

What you going to do? :rolleyes:

6. Toshman

Toshman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    After having a 3GS, my last phone was the Galaxy S2. I thought this was a great phone and while not as slick as iPhone I found it a little better for quite a few things, able to plug in an SD card was the main benefit for me along with actually being able to connect things through bluetooth and a bigger screen to watch media on! Funnily, I much prefer the S2's keyboard to iOS, using the Swype keyboard has got to be the best keyboard experience on a phone I have ever had.

I was going to upgrade to the S3 or S4, but our household as been sucked into the Apple eco system currently having an iPad 3, iPod Nano 4, iPod Touch 5 and Apple TV 3. My AV amp is Airplay capable and we also have airplay speakers! So it just made sense to replace the S2 with the iPhone 5. Most of the media I watch now is either on the iPad or streamed to ATV so a bigger screen isn't so much of an issue now, also although the iPhone 5 screen is the same width as before it is now longer meaning that it is true 16:9 ratio. Although the screen is slightly smaller than the S2, in real world terms media watched in 16:9 is pretty much a similar size to the S2 due to the screen format.

I also felt screens were getting a bit too big, with the S3 (and probably bigger still on the S4), most media/surfing I watch is now on the iPad and quite often I am lugging around two phones during the day (work and personal) so pocket space becomes a premium.

I do still miss the Swype keyboard along with the option to stick an SD card in along with proper bluetooth capability, but overall I am impressed with the iPhone 5.

7. whos mother

whos mother

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    what did you prefer about the 4s

how are you getting on with the aluminium/denting/scuffing issues?

8. PeterH988

PeterH988

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Are you planning/hoping to use 4g? That will sway your decision a bit.

9. whos mother

whos mother

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    im just fed up of huge phones that you can not comfortably use with one hand,

space does not bother me so much as the only media i really use is music....i just never have the need watch a movie on my phone

swypes pretty good,but the typing experience on the s3 is woeful worse than the s2 was by miles...i always found typing on my iphone 4 a real pleasure,pretty much faultless

10. whos mother

whos mother

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11

not really I am on 3 and most of the time am connected to a very fast wi fi at home

11. PeterH988

PeterH988

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Although 3 are supposedly letting everyone have 4g at the same tarrif when they roll it out, so maybe.............. :)

12. williamus

williamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I preferred the build quality (perceived or otherwise) of the 4s. The glass and stainless steel of the 4/4s feels solid and is somehow a nicer shape to hold than the 5, but that's obviously subjective. Every time Mrs W gives me her 4 to update, I find myself thinking "hey, this is nice phone..."

I've always used the semi-hard gel cases with my iPhones so scuffgate is not really an issue. I would admit though to buying a white one because of the notion that it's less likely to show marks. I do wonder what a black/slate 5 that has been in normal use without a case for a year will look like.

13. Bill Badger

Bill Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are the Bluetooth issues that have been mentioned in this topic? I'm looking at changing my Windows 7 phone to an iPhone 4S or 5, and I will need to be able to connect into my Sony/Ford car radio system via Bluetooth. I use the Bluetooth function on my Windows phone every day with good success, so I don't want to end up with a backward step if there are issues with the iPhone........

14. Kev12

Kev12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +453
    It'll connect to the head unit ok, I have a JVC and that's fine. I think what being referred to is Bluetooth file sharing, which doesn't work on iPhones.

15. williamus

williamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    There's also a lip-sync glitch with using B/T headphones to watch video content (streamed or recorded) through A2DP on my 5 which I last encountered with my 4 a couple of years ago. A software update solved that then and it may be (I'm still running 6.0) that the latest update sorts it. As the proud owner of some Atomic Floyd Superdarts I'm not using my B/T headphones much, but if anyone else experiences this problem, there is a workround:

1. Play video through headphones
    2. Pause playback
    3. Turn headphones off
    4 Turn headphones back on
    5 Resume playback