Going around in circles trying to get Samsung (US) TV to sync to SKY HD+ RF Out

Varoshiotis

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have an interesting problem which I have yet to crack!

Long story short:
I have a Samsung US TV (UN40J5200AFXZA). This has an NTSC Tuner so I cannot use Freeview Signal (PAL). No matter, I only wanted this in the bedroom where I have an RF Out co-ax signal coming from the SKY HD+ Box downstairs in the lounge; using a magic eye I would not need to use the TV Tuner in any way!

Well, it has turned out to be a more complex proposition than I thought! The Samsung TV cannot find (sync) the signal coming out of the co-ax (the SKY HD+ RF Output). I suspect this is because the RF Out is an Analogue signal and the TV has not got an Analogue Tuner. (BTW I have the RF Out from the Sky HD+ Box on Channel 68).

OK, I got a cheap 2nd hand STB with an HDMI (the TV has 2x HDMIs), but I ran into the same problem in that the STB cannot sync to the RF Out signal. I know my logic is somewhat sound as I can connect the Samsung TV directly to the SKY HD+ box downstairs via the HDMI and all is perfect!

Can some clever Engineer/Technician who understands TV much better than I can suggest an easy work-around. Basically, I am trying to use the SKY HD+ RF Output on a US TV (in the UK) with a magic eye, thus bypassing the need to have an NTSC signal. (There is already a co-ax cable from the Sky box to the Bedroom which I am trying to make use of).

Thank you in anticipation!

Run a flat cat 7 cable from the Sky box location and use a pair of baluns with HDMI loop out.

The flat cat 7 works as a long hdmi cable.

Amazon product ASIN B071S7VQWX
If you can find one in the UK a Digital modulator with NTSC out should allow the US TV tuner to tune to the modulator output.

Wow - that was quick. I did not know I could do that. THANK YOU!
I take it retaining & using the existing co-ax is not a viable option for my problem!

Wow - that was quick. I did not know I could do that. THANK YOU!
I take it retaining & using the existing co-ax is not a viable option for my problem!

Coax cannot be used it has to be cat 7 network cable made up to the length you need. You can buy the flat cat 7 cable which can be hidden under carpets from Amazon. I take it you are sure the TV works using the Sky box HDMI out. It's possible the TV might not like the 50Hz refresh ? You will likely need to force the Sky box audio out on a HD channel to pcm stereo. The TV is unlikely to work with Dolby Digital audio.

Understood!
Yes - I connected the TV directly to the Sky Box HDMI and all was perfect.
Thank you again!

Just thought of a question: If I do as suggested I will not be able to use the magic-eye to change channels from the TV upstairs - is that right?

Please ignore my last question - I understand what you have suggested includes a built-in IR function.

Hi again, I am now moving to Ordering Phase!
I have found suitable CAT 7 cable:
I will order the HDMI Extender Set you suggested (I like your solution): Amazon product ASIN B071S7VQWX
I am hoping that I can pull the Cat7 cable through to the loft space from ground floor using the existing coax cable, and similarly down to the 1st floor bedroom (again using the Coax cable). I'd like to play safe & retain the coax cable, hence propose to use 2x Wallplates that can accommodate both Coax & Cat 7 at both ends. The closest I have found is this and will be grateful if you can take a look and again kindly advise if this is OK (as it does not mention CAT 7)

I realise that pulling cables to/from loft can be tricky but I am willing to give it a go. Do you think it would be easier if I used normal Cat 7 cabling (not flat) and without the end connectors?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again, I am now moving to Ordering Phase!
I have found suitable CAT 7 cable:
I will order the HDMI Extender Set you suggested (I like your solution): Amazon product ASIN B071S7VQWX
I am hoping that I can pull the Cat7 cable through to the loft space from ground floor using the existing coax cable, and similarly down to the 1st floor bedroom (again using the Coax cable). I'd like to play safe & retain the coax cable, hence propose to use 2x Wallplates that can accommodate both Coax & Cat 7 at both ends. The closest I have found is this and will be grateful if you can take a look and again kindly advise if this is OK (as it does not mention CAT 7)

I realise that pulling cables to/from loft can be tricky but I am willing to give it a go. Do you think it would be easier if I used normal Cat 7 cabling (not flat) and without the end connectors?

It's very tricky to fit the RJ45 plugs to network cable yourself. Link to wall plates does not seem to work. Best to avoid joins. I would use a wallplate with a central hole designed to bring cables neatly out of a wall

Amazon product ASIN B00DJUK41S

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom