1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going amp shopping

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pcpaz, Jan 17, 2003.

1. pcpaz

pcpaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my funds together, I'm off to Richersounds tomorrow for a AV receiver/amp, see what I can get for £100 - £150. Needs to have DD/DTS.

Any suggestions, and any I should stay away from.

2. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Raise it to 200 pounds and go for the Yamaha rx-v430, it is worth the price, and it cannot be beaten by any other within the price range. I got myself the 530, which is the same but with a better remote and more connection possibilities (actually I got an offer, it was the same price than the 430!, but this is Germany...). I think that anyone here would agree with this, since I also looked for advice here.
    Finally, as anyone with a balanced mind would tell you, go and listen. Compare, maybe your ears like something different...
    Lower than that, I guess it is not very good quality, and I think that because I feel myself in the first step of hi-fi with my receiver... But if it is not possible, I have seen a Sony str-de 445, or something like that, which shouldn't be so bad. Here you can find a review:
    http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/electronics/home_audio/sony_strde_445_av_receiver/_review/319796/
    But as I told you, the conclusion is to go upwards in money. Don't know about other brands. I hope it can help, I feel in sincere debt with this forum, so it is the least I can do.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    One other thing worth doing is to have a look at the AV section of ebay(www.ebay.co.uk) and www.ex-dem.co.uk

Both of these sometimes turn up very good prices on equipment still within manufacturers warranties.

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    If you can afford £200 ... and you're a suitable distance away ... give Richer Sounds in Leicester a ring (sorry don't know number but it on www.richersounds.com ) as I understand they still have some Marantz SR4200 avaliable.

Victoria

5. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    I am not sure, but I think I have read in this forum that the Marantz *200 have some kind of minor problem, I don't know if related to the possible sound formats it can decode, or to the conections or something like that.
    The mind of most well-funded opinions in this forum, for a budget between 300 and 500 euro is
    Marantz if you prime music.
    Yamaha if you use it more for movies.
    Harman-Kardon, 50% movies, 50% music.
    I would like to say that I have checked it, but I didn't have the chance.

6. pcpaz

pcpaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just missed out on the Marantz 4200, they sold the last 1 hour before I go to my local Richer Sounds. Oh well keep looking eh.

Quite like the Sony STRDE485 and 585. Has anyone seen these at a bargain price anywhere else, better still are they worth buying.