Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Going amp shopping

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pcpaz, Jan 17, 2003.

1. pcpaz

pcpaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my funds together, I'm off to Richersounds tomorrow for a AV receiver/amp, see what I can get for £100 - £150. Needs to have DD/DTS.

Any suggestions, and any I should stay away from.

2. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Raise it to 200 pounds and go for the Yamaha rx-v430, it is worth the price, and it cannot be beaten by any other within the price range. I got myself the 530, which is the same but with a better remote and more connection possibilities (actually I got an offer, it was the same price than the 430!, but this is Germany...). I think that anyone here would agree with this, since I also looked for advice here.
    Finally, as anyone with a balanced mind would tell you, go and listen. Compare, maybe your ears like something different...
    Lower than that, I guess it is not very good quality, and I think that because I feel myself in the first step of hi-fi with my receiver... But if it is not possible, I have seen a Sony str-de 445, or something like that, which shouldn't be so bad. Here you can find a review:
    http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/electronics/home_audio/sony_strde_445_av_receiver/_review/319796/
    But as I told you, the conclusion is to go upwards in money. Don't know about other brands. I hope it can help, I feel in sincere debt with this forum, so it is the least I can do.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    One other thing worth doing is to have a look at the AV section of ebay(www.ebay.co.uk) and www.ex-dem.co.uk

Both of these sometimes turn up very good prices on equipment still within manufacturers warranties.

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    If you can afford £200 ... and you're a suitable distance away ... give Richer Sounds in Leicester a ring (sorry don't know number but it on www.richersounds.com ) as I understand they still have some Marantz SR4200 avaliable.

Victoria

5. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I am not sure, but I think I have read in this forum that the Marantz *200 have some kind of minor problem, I don't know if related to the possible sound formats it can decode, or to the conections or something like that.
    The mind of most well-funded opinions in this forum, for a budget between 300 and 500 euro is
    Marantz if you prime music.
    Yamaha if you use it more for movies.
    Harman-Kardon, 50% movies, 50% music.
    I would like to say that I have checked it, but I didn't have the chance.

6. pcpaz

pcpaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just missed out on the Marantz 4200, they sold the last 1 hour before I go to my local Richer Sounds. Oh well keep looking eh.

Quite like the Sony STRDE485 and 585. Has anyone seen these at a bargain price anywhere else, better still are they worth buying.