Godzilla vs. Kong Movie Review & Comments

Finally saw it today; and wow that was the most balls-to-the-wall, everything-up-on-the-screen, no-expense-spared, unapologetic visual effects blockbuster since Aquaman.

I'm racking my brains trying to work out why I enjoyed it so much more than King of the Monsters, because it was every bit as stupid and then some. But I did, I really did. 7.5/10 for sheer popcorn entertainment. And the CGI was stonkingly good.
In exactly the same boat. I just liked that all the military stuff went out the window and it went down the full fantasy adventure route.

In exactly the same boat. I just liked that all the military stuff went out the window and it went down the full fantasy adventure route.

Yes that could be it. All the po-faced, staring at screens bull**** dispensed with, in favour of going with the ludicrous flow.

Where the heck do they go from here? lol

Yes that could be it. All the po-faced, staring at screens bull**** dispensed with, in favour of going with the ludicrous flow.

Where the heck do they go from here? lol
Well, nowhere apparently. Aren’t they done with the monsterverse now !?

Well, nowhere apparently. Aren’t they done with the monsterverse now !?

Ah pity. I did wonder why there was no stinger (not even those forgotten about skull crawler eggs. I just thought they'd shot their bolt so completely there was nothing left in the tank :laugh: . At least it went out on a bombastic note.

Ah pity. I did wonder why there was no stinger (not even those forgotten about skull crawler eggs. I just thought they'd shot their bolt so completely there was nothing left in the tank :laugh: . At least it went out on a bombastic note.
Least they went out on a high note. I still think Skull Island is the better film, but I had a blast with this one.

It's the end of a contracted 4 film deal but, as GvK has had some pretty good feedback and has been the Box Office comeback story of the pandemic, I imagine WB will be looking to renegotiate. In a GamesRadar interview, Wingard said he has some story ideas to explore the hollow earth again.

Interesting side note: It did originally have an end credit stinger but in the re-edit (the same re-edit where Lance Reddick was reduced from a top billed actor to about four lines of dialogue) they ended up incorporating it into the movie.

Here's the interview - it's super interesting:

Interesting side note: It did originally have an end credit stinger but in the re-edit (the same re-edit where Lance Reddick was reduced from a top billed actor to about four lines of dialogue) they ended up incorporating it into the movie.
Reading about that, it makes WAY more sense to incorporate it in the film. I do get annoyed when post-credit scenes (and I mean way at the end) are actually key plot points and/or complete the story.

So gave it another go yesterday and actually did all 4 starting with Skull Island in one day with my 10 year old grandson. He’d never seen the previous three but does love his films.
He said that Skull Island was now one of his favourite films and that the other three were all pretty bad.
My opinion is the same. Poor film and after a day of watching monsters fighting, it took some doing for me to get through it.
I believe something has been done with the audio on HBO as the low end has been upped a bit in volume and the effects are tones down. The dialogue is still inaudible though and I had to turn my centre channel up by 6db to hear it. This though seems to be run of the mill for modern “blockbusters “ unfortunately

So after finally catching this yesterday, I can safely say this is one film you absolutely have to be in the right frame of mind for. No, I'm not talking in the 'switch your brain off' kind of frame, its a much more.......western frame of mind. One that usually sees us having to know everything about everything to be able to even remotely accept it.......

The opening scene sees so many questions start to bubble up in that tiny brain of mine......how......what.......why? We're fed one line of explanation as to why this absolute Titan now finds himself sulkily playing charades with a ten year old girl and stropping about before its gone, we've left it behind before yet another scene has you asking the same questions......wait......what? Why? Er........WHY?????

And then it hit me.........having watched an awful lot of the Heisei and Millennium era Godzilla films recently, this is exactly that kind of film. You don't question 'how' or 'why' in those films, you just grab on for dear life and prey your tiny mind can keep up with what's pummelling your senses. And once I'd cottoned on to that, the film just washed over me and I was properly able to just go with it. In those films, I'm singing the praises of such random choices as tiny singing alien fairy twins, yet in these western films, I'm questioning the logic of how do they get Kong onto a ship? Not very fair that, is it?

Some of the more, er, questionable plot points suddenly were just there - exactly like in those classic era Kaiju movies and even in the classic 70's films of Kevin Connor (The Land that Time Forgot, The People that Time Forgot and Warlords of Atlantis. I remember never once having a burning desire to ask good old Doug McClure why no one had ever come across these lands before given they were hidden behind usually just a slightly lumpy iceberg.....). And that's what this is.....less serious socially conscious comment on the human condition wrapped up in lashings of mega budgeted CG, more a complete knockabout romp designed purely to entertain with the most insane things it can imagine to put on screen.

Sure, there was still some lazy narrative that even in that right frame of mind proved a little difficult to shake off (murderous gravity vortex coming one way through the earth, but not when leaving the other side? Wait......what?) and it had far too many characters than it knew what to do with (I like Julian Dennison but what exactly was he needed for?). But on the whole this was a return to the romp of Skull Island (not least in the hilarious soundtrack and song choices), a long way away from the earnest, po-faced seriousness of the previous Godzilla films.

Great, big fun. But make sure you stop asking 'those' questions as soon as possible otherwise it will be a long watch......

Last edited:

So after finally catching this yesterday, I can safely say this is one film you absolutely have to be in the right frame of mind for. No, I'm not talking in the 'switch your brain off' kind of frame, its a much more.......western frame of mind. One that usually sees us having to know everything about everything to be able to even remotely accept it.......

The opening scene sees so many questions start to bubble up in that tiny brain of mine......how......what.......why? We're fed one line of explanation as to why this absolute Titan now finds himself sulkily playing charades with a ten year old girl and stropping about before its gone, we've left it behind before yet another scene has you asking the same questions......wait......what? Why? Er........WHY?????

And then it hit me.........having watched an awful lot of the Heisei and Millennium era Godzilla films recently, this is exactly that kind of film. You don't question 'how' or 'why' in those films, you just grab on for dear life and prey your tiny mind can keep up with what's pummelling your senses. And once I'd cottoned on to that, the film just washed over me and I was properly able to just go with it. In those films, I'm singing the praises of such random choices as tiny singing alien fairy twins, yet in these western films, I'm questioning the logic of how do they get Kong onto a ship? Not very fair that, is it?

Some of the more, er, questionable plot points suddenly were just there - exactly like in those classic era Kaiju movies and even in the classic 70's films of Kevin Connor (The Land that Time Forgot, The People that Time Forgot and Warlords of Atlantis. I remember never once having a burning desire to ask good old Doug McClure why no one had ever come across these lands before given they were hidden behind usually just a slightly lumpy iceberg.....). And that's what this is.....less serious socially conscious comment on the human condition wrapped up in lashings of mega budgeted CG, more a complete knockabout romp designed purely to entertain with the most insane things it can imagine to put on screen.

Sure, there was still some lazy narrative that even in that right frame of mind proved a little difficult to shake off (murderous gravity vortex coming one way through the earth, but not when leaving the other side? Wait......what?) and it had far too many characters than it knew what to do with (I like Julian Dennison but what exactly was he needed for?). But on the whole this was a return to the romp of Skull Island (not least in the hilarious soundtrack and song choices), a long way away from the earnest, po-faced seriousness of the previous Godzilla films.

Great, big fun. But make sure you stop asking 'those' questions as soon as possible otherwise it will be a long watch......

The questions for me ended when they decided gravity works differently under the Earth (wtf?), and that there was a source of daylight underground that allowed an entire ecosystem to flourish (wtaf?). After that, I just shut up and put my hand down.

The questions for me ended when they decided gravity works differently under the Earth (wtf?), and that there was a source of daylight underground that allowed an entire ecosystem to flourish (wtaf?). After that, I just shut up and put my hand down.
Yes. For the best I think.

I watched this again tonight as my HBOMax sub expires today. Enjoyed it more the second time around. Visually incredible, just lacking in a bit of soul.

Will purchase at some point as the battles are reference quality in places.

Watched this with my 9 year old at the weekend. He said it was the best of the 4 Monsterverse films...me, I think I still prefer Godzilla.

Absolutely, ridiculously stupid film (Pacific Rim levels of stupid)...I have no idea where all that hollow earth, axe-wielding stuff came from but when the 2 started knocking 7 bells out of each other it was fun.

I rented it on AppleTV via the Xbox One and it looked and sounded great...the bass was unrelenting. i can only assume the full fat 4k UHD release will break a few subs.

All the way through it I was thinking "I hope they release this in 3D" as it would be fantastic...like Pacific Rim.

Watched this with my 9 year old at the weekend. He said it was the best of the 4 Monsterverse films...me, I think I still prefer Godzilla.

Absolutely, ridiculously stupid film (Pacific Rim levels of stupid)...I have no idea where all that hollow earth, axe-wielding stuff came from but when the 2 started knocking 7 bells out of each other it was fun.

I rented it on AppleTV via the Xbox One and it looked and sounded great...the bass was unrelenting. i can only assume the full fat 4k UHD release will break a few subs.

All the way through it I was thinking "I hope they release this in 3D" as it would be fantastic...like Pacific Rim.

GVSK is not fit to shine the feet of Pacific Rim’s Jaegers.

I loved Godzilla (Gareth Edwards) and I also love Kong Skull Island but this is a bore fest along the same lines as KOTM.

It is released in 3D, just not in the UK. US and France have discs available.

Currently on special £1.99 rental with Amazon.

Well worth a purchase though. Watched this 3 times now and gets more ridiculous with each watch.

Watched this tonight. Hated it. Utter ridiculous nonsense. Not suitable for anyone over the age of 10.

This is an insane opinion, Stu. It's pure genius.
Best blockbuster of the last 5 years. Better than Top Gun.

Whoah there! Less of the crazy talk there Tom

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom