Godzilla vs. Kong Movie Review & Comments

Seeing this Thurday, waiting till I can watch it on a mates projector (er, outside, naturally). Really enjoyed Skull Island, thought KOTM was poo. So hoping this skews towards the former.

I get the defence of: 'its monsters fighting each other, switch your brain off and enjoy', but that doesn't really cut the mustard for me. The actual monster fighting probably adds up to about 15, 20 minutes? (any more than that would be cost prohibitive and probably boring). So if the rest of the runtime is total garbage, then who wants to watch it? I think Skull Island was fun because the humans were thrown in with the action throughout, rather than stood looking at computer screens spouting crap.

Seeing this Thurday, waiting till I can watch it on a mates projector (er, outside, naturally). Really enjoyed Skull Island, thought KOTM was poo. So hoping this skews towards the former.

I get the defence of: 'its monsters fighting each other, switch your brain off and enjoy', but that doesn't really cut the mustard for me. The actual monster fighting probably adds up to about 15, 20 minutes? (any more than that would be cost prohibitive and probably boring). So if the rest of the runtime is total garbage, then who wants to watch it? I think Skull Island was fun because the humans were thrown in with the action throughout, rather than stood looking at computer screens spouting crap.

Brain very much engaged here so I think you'll be fine.

But clearly there are different ways of experiencing this movie.

As I think has already been already succinctly summed up earlier, this is basically your straight up action/quest story, only the character here is... Kong.

Swap him out for Sly in Rocky 2/3/4 or Arnie in Conan, and this is just a quest; wronged underdog has to fight his way - against all odds - to prove himself some kind of champion. He finds a human connection, gets in fighting shape etc. etc. along the way.

So yes, it's 15-20 minutes of monsters fighting, but over an hour of screen time with your underdog hero where he goes on this mythical quest.

Why only some people are clocking this, whilst others can't get past the "15-20 minutes of monsters fighting isn't enough for me" argument is beyond me.

Just watch it as a Rocky sequel mate, and you should be all good.

Kinda sounds like if your generally a godzilla/kong fan, then you enjoyed it, if your not really then it doesn't do enough as a movie in its own right.

I think also 'how' you watch it is very significant.
It really works better on a big screen with a big sound system.
That said, don't actually agree that this film is as stupid as some people are making out. I think it pretty much wears it's heart on its sleeve.

Also, I think as Cas pretty much alluded to, stupid has to have context.

FWIW I also find the whole "Leaving your brain at the door" approach to be frustrating and wrong, but you only need to do that if the film is trying to be too clever (and isn't) or actually makes little to no sense given it's setting.

To give some random examples (I watch most of my films on a projector) :

I thought 2012 was rubbish, I thought Tenet was rubbish and I thought that KOTM was rubbish.

I liked the earlier Godzilla films, I liked 12 Monkeys and I liked Edge of tomorrow. I later watched edge of tomorrow on a small screen and didn't like it.

Brain very much engaged here so I think you'll be fine.

But clearly there are different ways of experiencing this movie.

As I think has already been already succinctly summed up earlier, this is basically your straight up action/quest story, only the character here is... Kong.

Swap him out for Sly in Rocky 2/3/4 or Arnie in Conan, and this is just a quest; wronged underdog has to fight his way - against all odds - to prove himself some kind of champion. He finds a human connection, gets in fighting shape etc. etc. along the way.

So yes, it's 15-20 minutes of monsters fighting, but over an hour of screen time with your underdog hero where he goes on this mythical quest.

Why only some people are clocking this, whilst others can't get past the "15-20 minutes of monsters fighting isn't enough for me" argument is beyond me.

Just watch it as a Rocky sequel mate, and you should be all good.

In Cas I Trust :). Good to know. As long as fights are embedded in an enjoyable and engaging adventure, I'm all in.

I absolutely loved the (almost old fashioned) adventure aspect of this, stood it apart from the other Godzilla pics.

If you go into this expecting a deep well thought out plot... Leave now.

Visually impressive and big monsters having a scrap while trashing the place. A bit like Kane v Undertaker back in the day. Engage your 12 year old child brain and you'll enjoy it.

Anyone giving this less than 3/10 is attention seeking imo. I'd give it a 6 and I'm not a huge fan of the Godzilla films.

If you go into this expecting a deep well thought out plot... Leave now.

Visually impressive and big monsters having a scrap while trashing the place. A bit like Kane v Undertaker back in the day. Engage your 12 year old child brain and you'll enjoy it.

Thanks for explaining. We hadn't realised.

I think I'm too old to engage my 12 year old child brain.

200.gif

Don't forget to join the movies team tonight, live at 8:00pm on the AVF YouTube channel for some fun discussion about this crazy-ass movie along with a chat about some of the best and worst CGI that we've ever seen.

Yeah, and that was that! The big hoorah, even Godzilla had that look * You know of the monster from the Chewits advert (he ate the Taj mahal)* at the end....

It was ok, 6 is about right for this, previous two are better movies and the standalone Japanese version Gojira is decent viewing....

Yeah, and that was that! The big hoorah, even Godzilla had that look * You know of the monster from the Chewits advert (he ate the Taj mahal)* at the end....

It was ok, 6 is about right for this, previous two are better movies and the standalone Japanese version Gojira is decent viewing....

Now this is interesting :)

Below is the total box office for Terminator Dark Fate, PRE Covid.
Screenshot 2021-04-06 at 20.50.47.png

Below is Godzilla vs Kong after 1 week POST Pandemic

Screenshot 2021-04-06 at 20.51.13.png

The International figures for similar films is actually more embarrassing that Dark Fate.
There's a lesson in here somewhere ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think my brain is stuck at twelve years old. I love big creatures fighting eachother.

When I was (around) 12 I was watching films like Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, The Goonies, Gremlins, Temples of Doom etc. I was spoiled. A giant monkey and a giant lizard fisticuffs doesn't do it for me. :(

When I was 6 I was watching Gorgo, Mighty Joe Young, and a few years later, Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster. Occasionally I still have a nightmare about a Godzilla-like monster stomping his way through my town.

When I was 6 I was watching Gorgo, Mighty Joe Young, and a few years later, Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster. Occasionally I still have a nightmare about a Godzilla-like monster stomping his way through my town.
At least your Godzilla nightmare is credible, i used to have nightmares about The Man From Atlantis.

When I was (around) 12 I was watching films like Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, The Goonies, Gremlins, Temples of Doom etc. I was spoiled. A giant monkey and a giant lizard fisticuffs doesn't do it for me. :(
Going off topic now but i have to say the 80's was a golden decade for film.

At least your Godzilla nightmare is credible, i used to have nightmares about The Man From Atlantis.
That's bizarre, I never saw The Man From Atlantis, but what could Patrick Duffy do that would scare anyone? Command sharks and octopii?

I sat and watched Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla with my five year old over Easter. He was INTO IT.
He has requested Destroy All Monsters next.
This is parenting done right.

Finally saw it today; and wow that was the most balls-to-the-wall, everything-up-on-the-screen, no-expense-spared, unapologetic visual effects blockbuster since Aquaman.

I'm racking my brains trying to work out why I enjoyed it so much more than King of the Monsters, because it was every bit as stupid and then some. But I did, I really did. 7.5/10 for sheer popcorn entertainment. And the CGI was stonkingly good.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom