Godzilla vs. Kong Movie Review & Comments

raduv1

Distinguished Member
It was incredibly silly and in the realm of flat earthers level of stupid and I loved it for it .Just what is needed at this time , a big fat indulgence of pure pap wrapped up in a great looking bow .

Last edited:

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Explains exactly why I think this is even less coherent than KOTM. But I guess people are just happy to see blockbusters again and as poor as this is, it's still way better than WW84.

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
8/10 :confused: :confused: :thumbsdow 5 at the most for me, Not a Patch on Skull Island ... This was corny and the last 30 mins !!! People Moaned about Man of Steel and its buildings being damaged...

stevos

Distinguished Member
I have to say i was disappointed. Going in expecting good stuff, after reading this review and the rotten tomatao score. I would give it at best a 5. It has no real plot and is just big monsters beating on each other with mass devestration going on, and a few 'human interests' included for filling in the gaps around what is going on when needed.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I have to say i was disappointed. Going in expecting good stuff, after reading this review and the rotten tomatao score. I would give it at best a 5. It has no real plot and is just big monsters beating on each other with mass devestration going on, and a few 'human interests' included for filling in the gaps around what is going on when needed.
As much as I dislike the crappy story flow, I'm not sure I would criticise something called Godzilla v Kong for being "just big monsters beating on each other with mass devastation going on". That's like criticising Fast & Furious for having cars that go really fast :) The monsters bashing each other is the whole point and are the ONLY reason to watch this movie lol.

What else where you expecting?

stevos

Distinguished Member
As much as I dislike the crappy story flow, I'm not sure I would criticise something called Godzilla v Kong for being "just big monsters beating on each other with mass devastation going on". That's like criticising Fast & Furious for having cars that go really fast :) The monsters bashing each other is the whole point and are the ONLY reason to watch this movie lol.

I get your point, but to me what makes F&F watchable is the story and characters, they try and make you care about them through the whole family thing, and generally there is a story that is being told. This just felt like the final act of most marvel movies, the bit that i always get bored with, the part when the story is forgotten about and just a massive fight go on to show off the special abilities of the characters.

SIUse

Novice Member
i’ve to say i enjoyed this annoying little movie. Is the human plot redundant? For sure! Is it silly (looking at the 2 teenagers and the conspiracy theorist)? You‘re damn right (coffee over electronics facepalm)!
Do i care about that? No way, i blend it out (will cut it in a fanedit as much as possible).
I was just there for the monsters and humans only to advance the plot to them. Which - in my opinion - the first two godzilla (2014, KOTM) movies lacked or at least had a bad story.

Last edited:

Nobbler

Distinguished Member

Seen this too many times in this thread as well. I think the answer must be more than what we got.
10 -15 years ago this would have been awesome. Take Star Trek. Rebooted with a half decent effort and beyond was the best of the three. They could have had the Enterprise shooting it out with Klingons for 2 hours but they made it interesting by making it different.
One day Hollywood will surprise us by doing something different again. Until then we comment on great picture and sound while the stories are dross.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Seen this too many times in this thread as well. I think the answer must be more than what we got.
10 -15 years ago this would have been awesome. Take Star Trek. Rebooted with a half decent effort and beyond was the best of the three. They could have had the Enterprise shooting it out with Klingons for 2 hours but they made it interesting by making it different.
One day Hollywood will surprise us by doing something different again. Until then we comment on great picture and sound while the stories are dross.
Your argument is valid but you are fighting the wrong battle. This was never going to be or even meant to be anything other than Godzilla vs Kong because that's what most people who watch this franchise want to see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Indiana Jones

Big Godzilla fan here and enjoyed the three previous Monsterverse instalments but for some reason this just didn’t click with me, perhaps I wasn’t in the right frame of mind but didn’t even enjoy the end fight as much I did the Godzilla/Mothra vs Rodan/Ghidora fight in KotM.

It’s funny but the majority of complaints about this film (human characters lacking etc) seem to be exactly what people didn’t like about the 2014 film, back then it was “don’t care about these people I want action” and “it’s too dark I can’t see what is happening” so this film pretty much provided exactly what they wanted with a minimalist human presence instead focusing on the monsters and for the first time the majority of the fights take place in daylight, I dare anyone to say they couldn’t see what was going on lol

At this moment in time I would probably give it a 6/10 with it falling behind KotM but now that the 2014 film is available on UHD I feel a MonsterVerse marathon on the horizon, will see if my opinion of it changes after that.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
It’s not encouraging when i see peeps comparing this to the awful KOTM :eek:

Nevertheless, i’ll still brave a cinema visit next month.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Big Godzilla fan here and enjoyed the three previous Monsterverse instalments but for some reason this just didn’t click with me, perhaps I wasn’t in the right frame of mind but didn’t even enjoy the end fight to the same degree I did the Godzilla/Mothra vs Rodan/Ghidora fight in KotM

It’s funny but the majority of complaints about this film (human characters lacked character etc) seem to be exactly what people didn’t want in the 2014 film, back then it was “don’t care about these people I want action” and “it’s too dark I can’t see what is happening” so this film pretty much provided what they wanted with a minimalist human presence instead focusing on the monsters and for the first time the majority of the fights take place in daylight.

At this moment in time I would probably give it a 6/10 with it falling behind KotM but now that the 2014 film is available on UHD I feel a MonsterVerse marathon on the horizon, will see if my opinion of it changed then.
I think for me, it felt like a child playing with two monsters, going to lunch, then when they return they start playing again. No real link between the two playing experiences except Godzilla and Kong. The part where:
They talk about not being able to move because they were playing dead, so they bring in helicopters?
Why couldn't they move after Godzilla left?
If they couldn't move, how do helicopters help?
If they couldn't wait, how would helicopters with the proper equipment get there fast enough?

Last edited:

stevos

Distinguished Member
Kinda sounds like if your generally a godzilla/kong fan, then you enjoyed it, if your not really then it doesn't do enough as a movie in its own right.

Indiana Jones

I think for me, it felt like a child playing with two monsters, going to lunch, then when they return they start playing again. No real link between the two playing experiences except Godzilla and Kong. The part where:
They talk about not being able to move because they were playing dead, so they bring in helicopters?
Why couldn't they move after Godzilla left?
If they couldn't move, how do helicopters help?
If they couldn't wait, how would helicopters with the proper equipment get there fast enough?
I think it was more a case of if the ships started up their engines again Godzilla would hear it and attack, by airlifting him the ships don’t need to start up and the illusion at least from Godzilla’s perspective is maintained.

As for getting the Chinooks and Opreys there to lift him I just assumed they were on the other aircraft carrier and they were used to transport Kong to the ship in the first place so already had the required equipment.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I think it was more a case of if the ships started up their engines again Godzilla would hear it and attack, by airlifting him the ships don’t need to start up and the illusion at least from Godzilla’s perspective is maintained.
OK that kind of makes sense. It won't bother me so much now :)

As for getting the Chinooks and Opreys there to lift him I just assumed they were on the other aircraft carrier and they were used to transport Kong to the ship in the first place.
Yeah I thought about that after posting lol.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
At this moment in time I would probably give it a 6/10 with it falling behind KotM but now that the 2014 film is available on UHD I feel a MonsterVerse marathon on the horizon, will see if my opinion of it changes after that.
I found my opinion of Gareth Edwards' movie softened significantly on a rewatch. Be interested to find out if you feel the same.

There definitely seems to be something in GvK that some people are getting out of it that's eluding others. And I'd just like to gently push back against the idea that the people who don't like it are the only ones to recognise how stupid it is (and boy, oh boy, is it ever stupid) or that the people who did enjoy it are all just easily pleased.

I think there's just a buy-in to the spiralling craziness that's required very early on and if you've not been convinced to get on the rollercoaster at the station, you're definitely not going to be able to get on when it's going 150mph.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
8/10 :confused: :confused: :thumbsdow 5 at the most for me, Not a Patch on Skull Island ... This was corny and the last 30 mins !!! People Moaned about Man of Steel and its buildings being damaged...

Yes they did, because it's all about context isn't it?

I think that perhaps there is some confusion between 'ability to suspend disbelief within the realms of the movie universe you're watching' and 'leaving your brain at the door'

Superman had spent decades saving human lives, anonymously too. It's pretty much what sums him up. He deeply cares about the loss of one life, let alone hundreds.

To then have him cause such wanton destruction at the end of MoS seemed jarring to say the least.

I get that the argument could be made that he was doing it for the greater good - to stop Zod - but it seemed like the Superman II angle would have been more in his nature, namely to take him somewhere where he can do no harm.

I'd have preferred to have seen Zod tear up the city (which he did with those terraformers) and Supes stop him, not pound him through skyscrapers just to justify the plot to BvS.

VERSUS

Godzilla

Now, I don't know about you, but I'm under no illusions that he's not really had any HR courses on avoiding collateral damage, nor ever faced and criminal charges or lawsuits which might make him think twice about treading on a city block. I don't think he's ever going to meet cute with a deaf girl, or do birthday events either.

I mostly think that humans got lucky that a bunch of worse monsters turned up, and that he didn't really like other monsters messing around on his turf, so he took them down.

If he'd destroyed Europe doing so, I don't think he'd have been that bothered, I think he was completely oblivious to Brexit and more interested in glowing power sources and monster-sized threats.

Kong

Well, I think he cared about one little girl, and maybe a couple of other humans, vaguely, but he mostly didn't want to get killed by a giant blue laser atomic beam breathing lizard. Mostly. He also liked scratching his butt on his way to having a waterfall shower. Much like my son, I suspect.

So if he capsized Hong Kong or squashed a billion dollar aircraft carrier using it as a stepping stone so that he could superman-punch a giant lizard, well, so be it. He was probably signing "Sue me" at the time, but nobody noticed.

They're completely different movie characters. So yes, I was annoyed about the destruction Superman caused because I expected him to care. And no, funnily enough, I didn't bat an eyelid when Godzilla was fighting Kong, as I didn't expect them to care.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I found my opinion of Gareth Edwards' movie softened significantly on a rewatch. Be interested to find out if you feel the same.

There definitely seems to be something in GvK that some people are getting out of it that's eluding others. And I'd just like to gently push back against the idea that the people who don't like it are the only ones to recognise how stupid it is (and boy, oh boy, is it ever stupid) or that the people who did enjoy it are all just easily pleased.

I think there's just a buy-in to the spiralling craziness that's required very early on and if you've not been convinced to get on the rollercoaster at the station, you're definitely not going to be able to get on when it's going 150mph.
Pretty much the Fast and the Furious. Except in my case the car racing didn't interested me. So the first one I saw was F8 lol.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Godzilla

Now, I don't know about you, but I'm under no illusions that he's not really had any HR courses on avoiding collateral damage, nor ever faced and criminal charges or lawsuits which might make him think twice about treading on a city block. I don't think he's ever going to meet cute with a deaf girl, or do birthday events either.

I mostly think that humans got lucky that a bunch of worse monsters turned up, and that he didn't really like other monsters messing around on his turf, so he took them down.

If he'd destroyed Europe doing so, I don't think he'd have been that bothered, I think he was completely oblivious to Brexit and more interested in glowing power sources and monster-sized threats.
Kong

Well, I think he cared about one little girl, and maybe a couple of other humans, vaguely, but he mostly didn't want to get killed by a giant blue laser atomic beam breathing lizard. Mostly. He also liked scratching his butt on his way to having a waterfall shower. Much like my son, I suspect.

So if he capsized Hong Kong or squashed a billion dollar aircraft carrier using it as a stepping stone so that he could superman-punch a giant lizard, well, so be it. He was probably signing "Sue me" at the time, but nobody noticed.

11935088_502327576592013_508127552554708324_n.jpg

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
This film was fudging bonkers. Stupid beyond belief. I enjoyed it immensely. Finally embraced the sci-fi fantasy, no more military types standing around being boring. Just full on bat poop nonsense with wanton destruction. Looked glorious (dialogue completely muffled not that it mattered) and the humans were just charismatic enough for their limited screen time.
Regularly laughed out loud.
My only grumble is I didn’t get to see it on Imax.
7/10
Oh and for the record I completely disagree with the MOS complaints rumbling in this thread as well.

Bacus

Distinguished Member
Just watched this with my son.....we both hated it.
Worse film I have watched In a long time

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I watch films with different mindsets, it's not something I deliberately do, it just happens. So I can be easily pleased, but that's because I want to be. For this type of film I want to be easily pleased but if it wasn't for the Atmos I think I would be disappointed. Maybe the same could be said for a lot of the dumb films I like, but there's something about this film that goes just beyond that. I watch Transformers or KOTM and I'm a kid again. I watch this and for some reason my adult brain won't shut down.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021