Godzilla vs. Kong Movie Review & Comments

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
This is a hoot!
I'm loving all these strong opinions.

But I'm totally shocked that so many people hate it!

I genuinely had a whale of a time with 110 minutes of utter nonsense that celebrated being utter nonsense. With every passing scene the nonsense compounded until it took a break to have a really visually distinctive extended smash-up.

There's a lot to be said for pure goofball escapism in my book.

Gambit1977

So I’m completely thrown by this film.
It “wasn’t bad” and I was completely with it, watching monster laser beam breath and the like but
flying car things, nah I’m out![\spoiler]

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
So I’m completely thrown by this film.
It “wasn’t bad” and I was completely with it, watching monster laser beam breath and the like but
flying car things, nah I’m out![\spoiler]
Funnily enough that was a line in the sand for my partner too... Though weirdly I think she got right back on board when they used one as a monster defibrillator

IAMBatman

Story was terrible but enjoyed the movie nonetheless. Picture quality was great and Kong seems like a great lad.

evangelion

Story was terrible but enjoyed the movie nonetheless. Picture quality was great and Kong seems like a great lad.

I honestly don't know what to make of this, is this some new form of satire/sarcasm that I am yet to grasp?
Or maybe it's a genuine appraisal, I have no idea!

IAMBatman

I honestly don't know what to make of this, is this some new form of satire/sarcasm that I am yet to grasp?
Or maybe it's a genuine appraisal, I have no idea!
Genuine but don't want to give away any spoilers.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
I liked Monster Hunter much more (and found it more coherent - which is saying something for a Paul WS Anderson movie!). Godzilla VS Kong is just as messy as King of the Monsters with perhaps better creature carnage. I didn’t know what the human characters were going on about half the time, and cared even less. I might have fallen asleep but Alex Skarsgard’s Nathan Lind is supposed to be a scientist - when did he also become a spaceship pilot? I did like the CGI realisation of Kong, which is the most impressive aspect for me. Godzilla was a bit of a sideshow. In terms of the Legendary monster-verse, Gareth Edwards’ Godzilla is still the one for me.

jakimp

Distinguished Member
at this stage I am firmly in the whooppee there is actually new content about camp rather than criticising the lack of plot development in a "creature feature" - hopefully in a year or two's time the novelty will have passed

Coulson

Distinguished Member
@Tom Davies tagline for the review is a pastiche of the lyrics from BOC's Godzilla

Oh no, Kong has got to go / go go Godzilla! / Oh no, he’s jumping on a boat / go go Godzilla!

Vs. BOC's:

Oh, no, they say he's got to go / Go! Go! Godzilla / Oh, no, there goes Tokyo / Go! Go! Godzilla

ETA: Buck Dharma is 73, and Eric Bloom is now 76!
And they can still knock it out of the park :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:

Thanks. I thought I understood the reference. I did not! :)

I'll probably give this a watch tomorrow. Then maybe BvS IMAX.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Well I enjoyed it. Absolutely stupid, mindless fun, needed after a stressful week at work!!

Watching on apple, this is the first movie that I felt pushed discs close with audio, we know that picture is almost as good, but I’ve always felt audio lacked weight.....not with this, it sounded incredible!!

jmbrailsford

Kong was only 25ft tall in the Jackson version and then 104ft in the last Kong movie 😂

He's grown a bit.

Mind you Godzilla too, must be the modern diet 😂

10171768_10152469421444047_7019418286309094905_n4.jpg

neonplanet40

I thought this was a piss poor film. Definitely the worst of the 4 movies in the Monsterverse. I cant get why people liked it. Bar 20 mins of decent CGI fights, the rest was utter utter guff.

Characterization? - Nah, fook that. Who needs characters with a modicum of a background or sensible and apt place in the film?!
Decent plot/storyline? - Nah, no need. Who needs a decent storyline in a movie these days?!

Overall, fight scenes = 20 minutes of fun.

Downside? 1hr 20 minutes of absolute sh*te filler for said 20 minutes of fun. How these 20 minutes make this an 8/10, I'll never know. I'll just blame lockdown and lack of decent content that has clouded the judgment of moviegoers to accept guff standards and think it good :D

mazon27091

Bit of fun really, it is nice to have a blockbuster event movie after so long. I think you should turn off your brain during this type of movie and just enjoy the spectacle. Do you really expect anything more from a movie titled Godzilla Vs Kong....

james03

8/10 ? Really !?
It’s just a bunch of nonsensical plot points linking together the monster mash. By all means the smash ups are well deserving of the score, possibly more but as a movie it’s dire, incoherent rubbish.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I thought this was a piss poor film. Definitely the worst of the 4 movies in the Monsterverse. I cant get why people liked it. Bar 20 mins of decent CGI fights, the rest was utter utter guff.

Characterization? - Nah, fook that. Who needs characters with a modicum of a background or sensible and apt place in the film?!
Decent plot/storyline? - Nah, no need. Who needs a decent storyline in a movie these days?!

Overall, fight scenes = 20 minutes of fun.

Downside? 1hr 20 minutes of absolute sh*te filler for said 20 minutes of fun. How these 20 minutes make this an 8/10, I'll never know. I'll just blame lockdown and lack of decent content that has clouded the judgment of moviegoers to accept guff standards and think it good :D

I could see 10-20 minutes of human contingent easily going in favour of more of the "Insterstellar" stuff for sure. Teen Joan "MBB" Cusack and her crew were unnecessary, more interesting was the Gorilla Whisperer girl, they should have stuck with that and ditched all the returning characters, especially the utterly wasted Chandler, who wouldn't have been out of place in a Season of 24 trying to convince audiences that Jack - having saved 4 Presidents twice each - was now not only bad, but actually behind the violent murder of one of them.

But I'm not sure where you get your runtime quotes from. That's 20 minutes of 'utter guff' by my maths.

The other 90 minutes is tremendous blockbuster mayhem.

As Tom details in a review clearly cursed by the fact it wasn't written in numbers, and as @scrowe already mentioned, I got notes of Tron: Legacy, Blade Runner 2049, The Guest, and Pacific Rim, with STUNNING visuals and a superb score. The style of the piece was all Wingard, rolling his camera all over in the middle of the action, and the audiovisual experience was one of the best we've had in ages. He took us to Land that Time Forgot places via Interstellar's otherworldly impressionism, if anything I'd have spent more time there, like a whole movie. But then... neon Tokyo, oh my.

Kong was perfectly developed - it really was his movie - and that's coming from someone who LOVES Godzilla. He was a great Rocky Balboa underdog, charmingly rough around the edges (his wake-up scene was pitch perfect), with some fun moves (headbutts and ground-shaking superman punches). And I was fully on board for his character journey.

Honestly, we've had so many terrible Bay movies, so many awful Godzilla movies, I find it so strange that when we get everything anyone could have possibly wanted all of those movies to be (i.e. better at coherent, stylish action with giant CG characters you actually care about), people are annoyed there's not enough human depth.

I can't read that as anything less crazy than coming to some worthy Oscar-Winning drama and complaining there wasn't enough blockbuster action.

"I mean, sure, 12 Years a Slave was well acted but honestly, where are my CG fisticuffs? 2/10."

ggwoodland

Reading through these comments it seems you need to set your expectations that you are about to watch a Rocky Balboa vs Apollo Creed 113 minute punch-up with 150m tall monsters which is fine by me - bring it on. Will watch this during the weekend on iTunes - also good to hear that sound and vision is great - george

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
Honestly, we've had so many terrible Bay movies, so many awful Godzilla movies, I find it so strange that when we get everything anyone could have possibly wanted all of those movies to be (i.e. better at coherent, stylish action with giant CG characters you actually care about), people are annoyed there's not enough human depth.

I can't read that as anything less crazy than coming to some worthy Oscar-Winning drama and complaining there wasn't enough blockbuster action.

"I mean, sure, 12 Years a Slave was well acted but honestly, where are my CG fisticuffs? 2/10."
I think that's fair if it was just Kong vs Godzilla and the rest were faceless humans, but when (rough guess) over half your film is based around human characters, it's fair to ask them to have decent arcs, lines etc.

I also think we're starting to fall into "well at least it's better than that" territory and not always judging on the merits (Snyder Cut is a bit like that too).

I enjoyed this for what it was, mainly the fights (which were indeed awesome) and yes, Kong felt like an actual character, but it's just barely a 7 for me. For instance the bit about wandering into Mechagodzilla's lair was very, very stupid - on a par with KOTM levels of stupidity. And that did drag it down for me (but not nearly as much as KOTM)

I think it's one of those movies where if you're already properly bought into the whole premise, you'll get more out of it. Or alternatively, there's about a 30 minute cut in there of just Godzilla and Kong action - that'd definitely be worth watching again.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Reading through these comments it seems you need to set your expectations that you are about to watch a Rocky Balboa vs Apollo Creed 113 minute punch-up with 150m tall monsters which is fine by me - bring it on. Will watch this during the weekend on iTunes - also good to hear that sound and vision is great - george

Yup, although going the BvS route, it's a little more like Rocky 2, 3 AND 4 combined, with monsters.

And shot by somebody who loves Tron Legacy and Blade Runner 2049.

Call me crazy, but that's heaven. I'll save my 2s and 3s out of 10 for the next movie Willis mostly isn't in.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I think that's fair if it was just Kong vs Godzilla and the rest were faceless humans, but when (rough guess) over half your film is based around human characters, it's fair to ask them to have decent arcs, lines etc.

I also think we're starting to fall into "well at least it's better than that" territory and not always judging on the merits (Snyder Cut is a bit like that too).

I enjoyed this for what it was, mainly the fights (which were indeed awesome) and yes, Kong felt like an actual character, but it's just barely a 7 for me. For instance the bit about wandering into Mechagodzilla's lair was very, very stupid - on a par with KOM levels of stupidity.

I think it's one of those movies where if you're already properly bought into the whole premise, you'll get more out of it. Or alternatively, there's about a 30 minute cut in there of just Godzilla and Kong action - that'd definitely be worth watching again.

I think the Gorilla Whisperer arc was decent, so - for me - only about half the human stuff didn't work (basically all the contractually bound returning characters), and at least they occasionally got a cheeky Wingard line to remind you he's having fun.

So, sure, sling it a 6, a 7, or an 8. Fine. YMMV, clearly.

BUT, and this is why I HATE scores, where the hell are these 2s and 3s coming from?

If we're going by that logic, I'd rather trust the words of my kid:
"So what would you give it out of 10?"
"A HUNDRED!"

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
I think the Gorilla Whisperer arc was decent, so - for me - only about half the human stuff didn't work (basically all the contractually bound returning characters), and at least they occasionally got a cheeky Wingard line to remind you he's having fun.

So, sure, sling it a 6, a 7, or an 8. Fine. YMMV, clearly.

BUT, and this is why I HATE scores, where the hell are these 2s and 3s coming from?

If we're going by that logic, I'd rather trust the words of my kid:
"So what would you give it out of 10?"
"A HUNDRED!"
Actually yes, would agree with all of that. I did like the I only learned HTML line a lot.

And totally get your point on scores, such an easy trap to fall into.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Actually yes, would agree with all of that. I did like the I only learned HTML line a lot.

And totally get your point on scores, such an easy trap to fall into.
Anyone who saw my Monsterverse rewatch posts over the last three days will know that my scores on anything with the big G in are...shall we say 'softer' than I might be on similar action franchises...
And I make no apologies for that.
Godzilla is my boi.

Access

Does the Amazon Prime rental include an Atmos soundtrack? if not, does anyone know the best place to stream in 4K with Atmos, legally in the UK ?

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Does the Amazon Prime rental include an Atmos soundtrack? if not, does anyone know the best place to stream in 4K with Atmos, legally in the UK ?

Apple - ever reliably - offers 4K Dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos for no more cost than the HD non-Atmos offerings elsewhere.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors