Godzilla vs. Kong Movie Review & Comments

SMeister

Seems like this is turning out to be a very good action film seeing other reviews as well. If I’m honest I want to see it at the cinema even though I have a decent set up. Hope this will be shown when cinemas open in May.

richp007

Distinguished Member
I think I'm gonna watch this (hopefully) for the first time at the cinema. Where the impact will be best felt by the sounds of it.

Main thing is it's better than KOTM. Which probably wasn't very hard to achieve, but there's always the danger....

Earthscope

For me I just couldn’t wait for it to be over watching it last night. 4/10
Two hours I’ll never get back..:facepalm:

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I don't understand why people couldn't see what was going on in KOTM. Maybe because I saw it at home but I had no issues. The fights here are supposed to be even better so I can't wait :)

richp007

Distinguished Member
That's me out. I like all my stories to be about human emotions at the core.

SlimCorruptAmericancrow-size_restricted.gif

Coulson

Distinguished Member
That's me out. I like all my stories to be about human emotions at the core.

A monster and his emotions. What more do you want?

96fb436f1a35cc4346ac3bbad66aef10.jpg

He's a better actor too!

richp007

Distinguished Member
I would heartily endorse this.
It looked impressive at home, but it would look amazing on the big screen.

Fingers crossed they stay on course to open and this is available. I'm not even bothered about a super duper screen, my local charity cinema will do for such shenanigans.

moraghan

I thought this was rubbish TBH ... 3/10. So disappointed. Went so downhill after the helicopters arrived.

For me it was no better than GKOTM.

Last edited:

oaklandraiders

I liked Skull Island. This was just what I expected good SFX but nothing ground breaking.
A good sub workout but nothing special, nice picture on hbomax. As with Justice League you have to crank sound, watching on -9 which would normally be deafening,

Skull n Bones

Thanks Tom. Sounds like the film we've finally been waiting for so hopefully the cinemas open soon, would be wasted on my tv.

Lloydy92

Standard Member
Cheers for the review Tom, was considering checking this out at the weekend and seeing a nice 8/10 is a great start. Looks like I’ll be grabbing some homemade popcorn and sitting back to enjoy the ride 👍🏼 At least on Apple TV the quality will be infinitely better than Justice League on NOW 🤦🏼‍♂️

EDIT So after watching, 8/10 might be a smidge generous, I’d go with 7 but I went in with appropriate expectations re what the film would be and crucially, what it wouldn’t be and I throughly enjoyed it. Picture and sound were awesome and seeing those guys duke it out was great fun.

Last edited:

Jessica Noir

I’m a sucker for the big G and had a day off so jumped into this with caution given how bad KOM was, but I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, the humans didn’t make much of an impression but Rebecca Hall can make anything watchable and the monster carnage was fantastic. Looked and sounding incredible in 4K and Atmos too.
Kyle Chandler should get an Oscar for saying the line “Somethings wrong. Godzilla’s hurting people and we don’t know why” with a straight face.

DarkEntity

Someone a fan of the Blue Oyster Cult.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Even if you are the only person who gets this, it will still have been worth it.
I get the reference I just don't get what it is referring to. I even re-read the review to make sure, but I probably didn't read it word for word :)

evangelion

I get the reference I just don't get what it is referring to. I even re-read the review to make sure, but I probably didn't read it word for word :)

@Tom Davies tagline for the review is a pastiche of the lyrics from BOC's Godzilla

Oh no, Kong has got to go / go go Godzilla! / Oh no, he’s jumping on a boat / go go Godzilla!

Vs. BOC's:

Oh, no, they say he's got to go / Go! Go! Godzilla / Oh, no, there goes Tokyo / Go! Go! Godzilla

ETA: Buck Dharma is 73, and Eric Bloom is now 76!
And they can still knock it out of the park :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:

Last edited:

gadget man

A gigantic waste of money, 2 out of 10 just for the little girl. No humor except one line with someone trying to hack a password is line made me laugh because this is what people should do to watch this movie, will get the joke if you watch.

Joe C

Just finished this.

In the same week that I watched Monster Hunter and thought it was unlikely I would see such a poor big budget film for some time, along comes this pile of kaiju excrement to remind me to never be surprised about how awful a film can be.

An awful, awful film

flexemavs

Many of these types of movies are like video games, but this was pretty much nothing more than a video game. Even the CGI is horrible - pretty much everything looks fake (for example, even a simple shot of boats traveling in the water has wakes that look like they were colored with crayons). And someone must've figured out how to make direct close-ups of faces, because that's ALL you see, over and over and over again. There's no story, no nothing. It stinks.

zantarous

Distinguished Member
Wow what a load of nonsense. Almost two hours of the most tedium of plots just to watch 20 minutes of pretty good CGI fighting. The HDR looked great, the fighting looked great but was packaged in the most mediocre of plots. Honestly if you are going to spend a few 100 million on a movie get a good writer.

I just had no investment in any of the characters and by the end wish either Kong or Godzilla had killed them all.

2/5 no desire to ever watch again.

scrowe

Distinguished Member
Easily one of the stupidest films I’ve seen in a long time.

Sat through a fanboy slashfilm wet dream of Godzilla vs Kong vs The Land that Avatar Forgot vs King Conan vs Blade Runner vs Tron vs Pacific Rim vs The Goonies.

I enjoyed every minute!

7/10

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th April 2021