Godzilla US BD releases

gitsurfer

I've plumped for Godzilla vs The Sea Monster at £7.70 delivered to test out my player cheaply. If it works then I might leave the Criterion Godzilla anyway to see what happens with this newer restoration.
Only ordered today so will report back when it arrives.
Been on holiday so only got Godzilla vs the Sea Monster today. Unfortunately, I can't get the Panasonic region workaround to load it, though. Will keep it as will go region free with my next player.

The Criterion Godzilla should work, though. I ordered it on Friday so will confirm when it arrives. I've already successfully tried the Criterion Royal Tenenbaums so my player is definitely compatible with this workaround and the Godzilla release has been reported as hackable on other forums.

IndianaBlues

I should have said, I ordered the Criterion Godzilla from movietyme, and it works like a charm on my UK BD35, haven't tried it on the BDT120 or BS880 though...

Indiana Jones

Time to find homes for my German BDs of 2000 and GMK.

CrazyHorse

Great to see the original Japanese version GODZILLA 2000 included, I've only ever seen the US release.

Indiana Jones

Next lot of US Godzilla releases are right around the corner...

August 26th
- Godzilla vs Megalon
- Destroy All Monsters

September 9th
- Godzilla 2000
- Giant Monsters All-Out Attack/Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla

September 16th
- Godzilla (2014 film)

I have GvM, DAM and Godzilla (2014) on their way with the other two due to ship any time now.

Sure is a good time to be a Godzilla fan :)

rojgelf

Distinguished Member
Next lot of US Godzilla releases are right around the corner...

August 26th
- Destroy All Monsters

September 9th
- Giant Monsters All-Out Attack/Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
I can't see destroy all monsters yet on amazon.com, is it any good? IMDB rating is pretty poor.

Definitely want GMAA and Mechagodzilla set, I have "Terror of Mechagodzilla" in my Region1 Godzilla collection, and "Mechagodzilla II" is out on blu, which I want to, but is the original Mechagodzilla film out yet? I can't find it.

Indiana Jones

Destroy All Monsters is one of my personal favs, amongst Godzilla fans I believe it is quite highly regarded.

As for the original Mechagodzilla film no its not available on BD in the US, only Japan.

rojgelf

Distinguished Member
Destroy All Monsters is one of my personal favs, amongst Godzilla fans I believe it is quite highly regarded.

As for the original Mechagodzilla film no its not available on BD in the US, only Japan.
Thanks I'll give DAM a go, story sounds good. Annoying I'll have to wait for Mechagodzilla, its one of the few I remember from when I was young. I've seen none of the Japanese sequels from last 20 years so rest are new to me.

Its pretty hard to follow what was made and when, with different titles, edits and different companies releasing them, oh for a gozdilla boxset!

Indiana Jones

Received the latest Sony offerings today, came to around £30 delivered so was worried customs might get them but looks like ImportCDs now repost from inside the UK so no customs :)

Indiana Jones

Thread from the past I know but for those interested Kraken have just released 'Godzilla 1984: The Return of Godzilla' which now completes the Heisei period on US BD, got my copy from WowHD last Thursday for £8 delivered.

Indiana Jones

Nearly 3 years since the last post but thought it was worth mentioning for fans of the Toho monster films that Mothra is now available on Blu-ray in the US and apparently there will be an announcement from Criterion in the coming week regarding their plans for Godzilla films on physical media (they acquired nearly all the Showa era films last year), speculation is they plan a boxset release which should fill in the missing gaps in my collection.

Last edited:

pRot3us

Distinguished Member

Indiana Jones

You had the email too?

Looks a rather special set indeed, I'm certainly tempted.
No email but I have been keeping an eye on a thread over on BD Forum.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member

Indiana Jones

Hoping to off set some of the cost of the set by selling the seven Showa-era Blu-rays I already have.

Jessica Noir

Someone on blu-ray.com mentioned that they spoke to Criterion UK and the Godzilla Showa boxset is coming out on these shores too. Take this with a pinch of salt, but I can't imagine it being too difficult for Criterion to pick the UK rights as well as the US ones.

Indiana Jones

Someone on blu-ray.com mentioned that they spoke to Criterion UK and the Godzilla Showa boxset is coming out on these shores too. Take this with a pinch of salt, but I can't imagine it being too difficult for Criterion to pick the UK rights as well as the US ones.
I would love for that to be true as it’s going to be an expensive set to import.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member

Indiana Jones

Have to admit I didn't realise at first it was a large book that held the discs, never trust them not to damage the discs and the fact they have squeezed 15 films onto 7 discs also doesn't feel me with confidence regarding their quality but still I will be buying it.

Indiana Jones

For those interested the set is currently $170.36 using discount code “ENDGAME15” from Deepdiscount.

Indiana Jones

About the same price as my US pre-order, what to do what to do cancel and wait or leave the order.

Last edited:

Jessica Noir

About the same price as my US pre-order, what to do what to do cancel and wait or leave the order.
I'm waiting for the next £10/10% off code from Amazon or Zavvi before ordering it. Really happy this is getting a UK release. Only problem is the size of that big boy, it looks the size of a coffee table book!

Indiana Jones

Signup10 still works for 10% off for PayPal payments on zoom
Was just about to suggest that, obviously not ideal as they will take payment now but no harm in waiting until the week before release and ordering then, it’s not like it’s going to sell out.

I think I will keep my US order as my primary Blu-Ray player is Region A, all my other Godzilla Blu-rays are US releases and it is out a month earlier.

Last edited:

Indiana Jones

The more places the better but no where beating Zoom yet.