Godzilla US BD releases

Indiana Jones

Was just wondering if anyone else had or was planning on picking up the May 6th Godzilla BD releases? kind of went crazy Wednesday and ordered them all from Amazon.com and just had them arrive today, postage was a right killer but to hell with it :)

These were the titles released on Tuesday...

Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah / Godzilla Vs. Mothra
Godzilla Vs. Destoroyah / Godzilla Vs. Megaguirus
Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla II / Godzilla Vs. Spacegodzilla
Godzilla: Final Wars / Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.

Godzilla Vs. Hedorah
Godzilla Vs. Gigan
Godzilla Vs. the Sea Monster aka Ebirah Horror of the Deep

I also got the Godzilla Mastered in 4K release (I know I know its terrible but still for £8.90 I thought it was worth another go) and as a total blind buy I added the Gamera Trilogy to the order, no idea what to expect but for £4.67 I can live with it lol

CrazyHorse

Yes, I've got them all coming (except Final Wars/Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. which I will order when I find it at the right price) from Amazon marketplace, so a bit of patience needed before I enter rubber monster nirvana!

How's the quality Indy? I've read a few mixed reviews, but they've got to be an improvement on my old DVD's.

Indiana Jones

I had them delivered to work so haven't watched any of them yet but plan to get into them over the weekend.

I probably should have gone the Marketplace route, would have saved probably half but just to damn impatient lol

bigry

andy what about king kong vs godzilla and king kong escapes? ive got these on the way over to me know along with the other godzilla titles and gojira

Indiana Jones

I did think about getting them but not the biggest Kong fan.

CrazyHorse

'king kong vs godzilla and king kong escapes' - I've got those two on the way too. Kong must be one of the worst apes suits ever!

Shame they're just the US versions, I'd love to see the Japanese KK vs. G.

Indiana Jones

Yes, I've got them all coming (except Final Wars/Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. which I will order when I find it at the right price) from Amazon marketplace, so a bit of patience needed before I enter rubber monster nirvana!

How's the quality Indy? I've read a few mixed reviews, but they've got to be an improvement on my old DVD's.
Seems Barnes and Noble shipped some Godzilla films I asked them too cancel :facepalm: so will have an extra copy of Final Wars/Tokyo SOS in a week or so, I plan on listing them in the classifieds at cost price and if your interested I will put you down as having first refusal.

Indiana Jones

Assuming customs don't catch the package I will be listing them for £10.50 each.

gitsurfer

It seems odd to me that there are no UK BDs when the new film is now almost upon us. Not even the original! Anyone know why?

I have noticed some German BDs (including the original) that are reasonably priced but I can't see any reference to English sub's.

Indiana Jones

The German discs don't have English subs.

gitsurfer

The German discs don't have English subs.
Thanks for confirming. I was tempted to risk it so won't bother as it's 20+ years since my German GCSE!

I have the BFI DVD of the original film and saw it for sale in the BFI Southbank shop just the other day. I also read about a new 60th anniversary restoration so perhaps this is what we'll see at some point? Pure speculation on my part!

Indiana Jones

I think the Criteron BD is as close to perfect as we are going to get.

gitsurfer

I think the Criteron BD is as close to perfect as we are going to get.
I've been tempted with that as well. I'm not region free but I think most criterion's work with a lot of recent Panasonic players via a workaround. Will have to look into it further to see if my model is included.

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member

rojgelf

Distinguished Member
I've already got the US DVD collection with
Gojira / Godzilla, King of the Monsters
Godzilla Raids Again
Mothra vs. Godzilla
Ghidorah: The Three-Headed Monster
Invasion of Astro-Monster
Terror of Mechagodzilla

and also King King v Godzilla on DVD (US edit), and the Gamera Blu trilogy (but not watched it).

Tempted to give some of these a try though, but not familiar with a lot of these which seems to be post 90's, which one would be good to try?

I would like the original Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, will we get that?

Indiana Jones

I've already got the US DVD collection with
Gojira / Godzilla, King of the Monsters
Godzilla Raids Again
Mothra vs. Godzilla
Ghidorah: The Three-Headed Monster
Invasion of Astro-Monster
Terror of Mechagodzilla

and also King King v Godzilla on DVD (US edit), and the Gamera Blu trilogy (but not watched it).

Tempted to give some of these a try though, but not familiar with a lot of these which seems to be post 90's, which one would be good to try?

I would like the original Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, will we get that?
I believe future releases in the US depend on how well the current releases sell but as to whether we will see them over here its anyone's guess.

Love being multi-region, don't have to worry about releases being locked just get what I want from where ever :)

rojgelf

Distinguished Member
Are these locked, I don't mind, have player but its not hooked up. which of the later films do you recommend? I'll probably try this one:

jammyone

Are these locked, I don't mind, have player but its not hooked up. which of the later films do you recommend? I'll probably try this one:

According to DVDworldUSA the following are region A locked

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II / Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla
Godzilla Vs Destoroyah / Godzilla Vs Megaguirus
Godzilla: Final Wars / Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S
Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah / Godzilla Vs Mothra

The rest are unconfirmed as of yet

Indiana Jones

All the one's released on last week are Region A locked.

I have watched 5 of the films now and IMO if you were going to buy a double pack I would go with...

Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah / Godzilla Vs Mothra

Indiana Jones

Have just ordered the German BDs of Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack.

I know they don't have English subs but have found some off the net so will rip the BDs to mkv files and add the subs, that way I get the best picture and sound plus I will be able to understand what's going on lol

IndianaBlues

I've been tempted with that as well. I'm not region free but I think most criterion's work with a lot of recent Panasonic players via a workaround. Will have to look into it further to see if my model is included.
If you find out any more on this I'd be interested. I have 2 of the players referenced in other forums as being suitable, but cannot find if this is one of the Criterions that works with that method...

Indiana Jones

Sounds good. LMK when you're ready to sell. :thumbsup:

(sorry about the late reply, been offline all day)
If your still interested I have just received the films from Barnes and Noble and have listed them in the classifieds.

Also had King Kong vs Godzilla arrive, only a little over £9 so thought I would give it a shot.

Last edited:

Indiana Jones

Anyone care to comment on how good these have transferred to BD?
I don't have anything to compare them too as I never had them on DVD but reports I have seen to suggest the Sony releases are good upgrades over the DVDs and the Kraken releases are quite an improvement.

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
I don't have anything to compare them too as I never had them on DVD but reports I have seen to suggest the Sony releases are good upgrades over the DVDs and the Kraken releases are quite an improvement.
I had some of the R1 DVD releases and they were a bit hit and miss. The R1 discs that had toho sourced prints were much better than those that didn't.

gitsurfer

If you find out any more on this I'd be interested. I have 2 of the players referenced in other forums as being suitable, but cannot find if this is one of the Criterions that works with that method...
I've plumped for Godzilla vs The Sea Monster at £7.70 delivered to test out my player cheaply. If it works then I might leave the Criterion Godzilla anyway to see what happens with this newer restoration.
Only ordered today so will report back when it arrives.

Indiana Jones

Received my German BD of Godzilla: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack today, took a while to rip and get the subs synced up but just finished watching it and I have to say I found it very enjoyable.