1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Godzilla - lover or hater?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Squirrel God, Feb 22, 2003.

?
  1. Go Zilla (love it)

30 vote(s)
    49.2%
  2. No Zilla (hated it)

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  3. Don't have a strong view either way

15 vote(s)
    24.6%
  1. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm talking about the 1998 movie with Matthew Broderick and Jean Reno.

Just watched it for the first time ever and cannot believe how much it has been slated by critics and others!

I really enjoyed it, in fact I'd go as far as to say it's a very good movie.

It's all tongue in cheek and it worked well for me. There are some great humourous pieces, particularly from the wonderful Jean Reno, that helped to really give this movie a nice feel to it. The special effects are decent, the acting about what you'd expect for this type of movie.

The soundtrack was brilliant as well. Lots going on in the rears, lots of LFE.

If I have any criticisms of it, they are:

1. The movie was a bit too long. 2 hrs 10 mins should've really been about 1 hr 50 mins.

2. Who on earth writes TOP SECRET on the spine of a video tape in a felt tip pen??!!!! :laugh: :rotfl:

So, decision time: are you a lover or a hater of Godzilla 1998 :smoke:

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I liked Godzilla, Mathew Broderick is one of my favorite actors with films like War Games, Ferris Buellers day off and project x.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He's one of my favourite actors too, ever since Ferris Bueller's Day Off :D

Have you seen 'You Can Count On Me'? He's excellent in that :) Review here

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I don't know that one, I'll take a look. Thanks.

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I thought that it certainly didn't seserve the slating it got from the critics - it was a hell of a lot better than ID4!!

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    You have to take it as what it is an sci-fi action romp, far from being the best film ever but enjoyable.
    I would have enjoyed it a lot more except for Paul Ross giving the end away on Godzilla night on BBC2, before it was released.

7. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did anyone else notice the music for Airplane being used in Godzilla, as I've seen Airplane about 20 times so I noticed it straight away.

8. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I voted in the middle but have to give it bonus marks for the French making the Yanks look dim and gung ho - making?!

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    :smashin:

I was very surprised that they did not say that Godzilla was British though. :rolleyes:

10. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Matthew is a top actor, but why does he always do ****e films? Godzilla was dire IMO. :)

I did not vote for Political reasons. :D

11. Nemesis Twin

Nemesis Twin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great movie, few laughs along the way and very enjoyable!:smashin: Superbit version is the one worth purchasing.;)

12. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm amazed,

in the last few years, since it has come out, I have been single handedly unable to find anyone else who liked it..:confused:

I think its a great monster romp, with some good atmosphere created...

and the helicopter sequence is cracking..

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too.

I didn't expect the 'Go Zilla' option to be in the lead :eek:

14. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I had to go in the middle thought it was ok, certainly didnt hate it but didnt love it either :zonked:

15. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it was possibly the stupidist movie i have ever seen, it even made me want punch broderick and I usually like him I was hoping the lizard would target the scriptwriter and director after New York!

16. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That accollade belongs to Brotherhood of the Wolf, surely ;) :p

17. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Squirrel,

"Brotherhood Of The Wolf" is "Citizen Kane", in comparison with "Godzilla"! :eek:

I loved the original Toho Godzilla flicks, but the recent remake with Broderick, Reno et al was really terrible. The main problem for me, was that the plot was chronic, the acting was dire, and the film ruined because the Americans went and turned Godzilla into a "bad" guy, which anyone who knows about Godzilla, will know simply isn't true!

I like Broderick as an actor. But this was a steaming pile of prehistoric reptile turd!

I guess this is what happens when you give a talentless oik like Emmerich a load of money though! :rotfl:

Pooch

18. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    Was it! I though It originally was a baddie, in Godzilla, King of the Monsters! and King Kong Vs Godzilla(was on Sif-Fi Channel last week). Then they made him into a good guy fighting all sorts of monsters ie Vs the Sea Monster, Gigan(no not Kevin Gigan), King Ghidrah etc.;)

19. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    with my username...
    Actually, my username was not chosen because of any of the movies, but that's another story.
    I loved this movie and couldn't believe the panning it got. For what it is, a dumb popcorn movie, it is absolutely spot on, just like ID4 was.
    Also a great AV demo, with the giant footsteps genuinely sounding like they were a hundred yards apart.
    Is the superbit version clearly better? See the superbit thread in the dvd section.
    To those who say the script was dire etc, if you want high brow cerebral stimulation, best not go to see a film called"Godzilla" and you cannot seriously say you thought the original "guy in a suit" films were more intelligent!
    BTW, I was also a big fan of "Last Action Hero" which was one of the funniest films ever, yet so many people didn't get it and were disappointed it wasn't another formula Arnie movie...

20. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    To my surprise (considering the panning it received on cinema release), I like it :clap: It's good 'popcorn' fun :smashin: and will one day replace 'Independence Day' :blush: on the shelf; I've tried, but I just can't watch that one without cringing and just find it boring these days (it's only an opinion :D ).

Re: 'Godzilla - good or bad guy?', doesn't that depend on which side you're standing? :clown: :blush: :clown:

21. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Garrett,

I have a book that I'd recommend to you. It's called: "A Critical History And Filmography Of Toho's Godzilla Series" by David Kalat. (McFarland Press, approx £40, import USA book, hardback, ISBN 0-7864-0300-4)

In it, Kalat explains in great detail about many of the misconceptions regarding the character of "Godzilla".

One of those misconceptions, is that Godzilla is a baddie. He/It isn't! In the original 1954 black and white Japanese classic, a series of unexplained maritime disasters occur around a small fishing community. The natives believe that the mysterious deaths will herald the return of their god, Godzilla! Godzilla is brought back to life, after being dormant for millions of years, by recent underground Hydrogen Bomb tests. As Godzilla heads towards Tokyo, the Japanese Defence Force assembles a Godzilla Countermeasure Team, whose sole aim is to destroy Godzilla at all costs.

At the end of that film, despite all of their best efforts, Godzilla is never actually shown to be dead/to have been killed. A scientist takes an Oxygen Destroyer device down to Godzilla's underwater lair, and sets it off, supposedly killing the two of them. Above water, Dr Yamane says: "I cannot believe Godzilla was the last survivor of its species. If we continue nuclear testing, others of Godzilla's kind will appear again somewhere in the world".

Because of the above ambivalent ending, it's never proven that Godzilla is actually a bad creature out to destroy mankind. After all, just because Man awakened Godzilla, and then decide he/it must be something to be feared, they decide to wage war against him/it.

It was only when American Hollywood executives discovered that "Godzilla" was so succesful in its native country, that they decided to buy the rights to it. However, as is typical of Hollywood, they re-cut the film, and renamed it. The second Godzilla film,"Godzilla Conquers America", (also known as "America Conquers Godzilla"), was edited by ham-fisted executives, so that they turned a Japanese movie into a pro-America movie, with Godzilla as the baddie out to kill mankind (or kill America)! Because of this second film, everyone has since believed that Godzilla was bad. Something that is blatantly not true! (I can only presume that the re-editing was done, as America was still coming to terms with the end of WW2, Nuclear weapons testing, and 1950's prosperity.)

Hence, there is no proof to show that Godzilla really is bad, or was going to kill everyone in the first place. As is typical of human beings in real life, rather than try to understand something, we would rather just get rid of it, or ignore it and push it onto someone else, for them to deal with.

As the "Godzilla" movie series went on, through the 60's and 70's, Godzilla remained good, and actually helped the Japanese defend their nation from various other-wordly creatures, e.g. "Godzilla Vs Gigan", "Godzilla Vs Biolante", etc, etc.

The whole Godzilla series, is extensive, but just for quick-reference purposes, here is the list:

Godzilla - 1954

Gigantis: The Fire Monster - 1955 (aka "Godzilla Raids Again")

Return Of Godzilla - 1955

Godzilla: King Of The Monsters - 1956 (aka "Monster King Godzilla")

Rodan - 1959 (First colour Godzilla film. Aka "Rodan The Flying Monster; aka "The Sky's Giant Monster: Rodan")

Mothra - 1961

King Kong Vs Godzilla - 1962 (aka "King Kong Against Godzilla")

Ghidrah The Three-Headed Monster - 1964 (aka "The Greatest Giant Monster Battle On Earth"; aka "Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidora: Greatest Battle On Earth")

Godzilla Vs The Thing - 1964 (aka "Godzilla vs Mothra"; aka "Mothra Against Godzilla")

Monster Zero - 1965 (aka "Great Monster War"; aka "Godzilla Vs Monster Zero")

Godzilla Vs The Sea Monster - 1966 (aka "Godzilla, Ebirah, Mothra: Big Duel In The South Sea"; aka "Ebirah: Horror Of The Deep"; aka "Ebirah: Terror Of The Deep")

Son Of Godzilla - 1967 (aka "Monster Island's Decisive Battle: Son Of Godzilla")

Invasion Of The Astro Monster - 1967

Destroy All Monsters - 1968 (aka "Attack Of The Marching Monsters"; aka "Godzilla: Electric Battle Masterpiece")

Godzilla's Revenge - 1969 (aka "All Monsters Attack")

Godzilla Vs The Smog Monster - 1971 (aka "Godzilla Against Hedora"; aka "Godzilla Vs Hedorah")

Godzilla Vs Gigan - 1972 (aka "Earth Destruction Directive: Godzilla Against Gigan"; aka "Godzilla On Monster Island")

Godzilla Vs Megalon - 1973 (aka "Gojira Vs Megaro")

Godzilla Vs The Cosmic Monster - 1974 (aka "Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla"; aka "Godzilla Vs The Bionic Monster")

Terror Of Mechagodzilla - 1975 (aka "Counter-attack"; aka "Terror Of Godzilla")

Godzilla 1985 - 1985 (aka "Gojira And Godzilla"; aka "Return Of Godzilla")

Godzilla Vs Biolante - 1989 (aka "Gojira Vs Beorante")

Gojira Vs Kingu Ghidora - 1991 (aka "Godzilla Vs King Ghidora")

Godzilla Vs Hedorah - 1991

Gojira Vs Mosura - 1992 (aka "Godzilla Vs Mothra")

Gojira Vs Mechagojira - 1993 (aka "Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla")

Gojira Vs Supeesu Gojira - 1994 (aka "Godzilla Vs Space Godzilla")

Gojira Vs Desutoroia - 1995 (aka "Godzilla Vs Destroyer")

Godzilla - 1998 (This was the US big-budget remake, with Broderick and Reno.)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

As you can see, the Godzilla films are all known by multiple titles, and some films with the same title, are actually completely different films!!! :confused:

Pooch

P.S. A good website about everything Godzilla, is here.

22. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I liked LAH, good film..parody of all previous Arnie films. Although Godzilla is predicatable pile of cack!

Love to buy the first "rubber man" suit Godzillas, fab!

23. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    Gee thanks for all that info Pooch you are well up on the subject.:smashin:

But one thing if Godzilla was not bad in the original films I would not call him bad in the latest film, after all he didn’t knowingly set about the destruction, but just wanted some where to have the kids and only attacked when attacked first.

As to the best scene, apart from the bit where he enters the harbour at the beginning (how the heck did that bloke has his line pulled when Godzilla was heading towards him?).
    Spoiler........................... I though the bit where the helicopter lost him and he was underneath them, chomp.

24. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hey Garrett,

No probs! :smoke: Glad to be of use!

Pooch

25. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cool posting, Pooch. Some interesting info and a great listing. Not that I'm a huge follower, but I had no idea there were so many movies or that things went quite that far back!

Thanks from me :)

26. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Godzilla always was neutral to me, he just used to get ****** off with something or another and go on a righteous rampage. Of course whatever got in his way usually got obliterated, he was just misunderstood *sniff sniff*

The Hollywood remake was a travesty to Godzilla history. The Japanese films have awful effects, awful acting and awful storylines, but they capture the magic of Godzilla and 50ft. monsters battling each other.

Like Pooch says, they are not really overly concerned with mankind, and least of all the americans.

For me Godzilla vs Mothra was the pinnacle of the series, very amusing.

27. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    this is possibly one of the worst movies ever made, its awful!!!!

can anyone who likes it explain the following to me:

1. how can a creature 200 feet high HIDE in in the subway?
    2. why would this creature attack new york?
    3. how did it get to new york in the first place - did it swim round the time of the american continent? or it it swim round the bottom? or did it use the panama canal?

i know its not good to think during action movies - but i could never get over the above problems. Its a turkey of the highest order!

Gary

28. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Didn't like the movie. Boring somehow but not as much that I hate it.