Godzilla comes out to play

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Charlie Whitehouse, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to Uncle Eric, my Velodyne HGS-18 turned up today. I told the office I was working from home, so I could be around for a delivery. But when Godzilla arrived at 12:00 lunch time, I found it very hard to leave him alone in the hall while I finished my day's work. I lasted till about 14:30 before I just had to have a play... :blush:

So I unboxed the beast, pushed him into my living room and plugged him in. I know, I'll start with some seriously low bass just to see what he's capable of! So I stuck on the Strykezone Bass Test CD starting at 10Hz. Can't hear a thing, so I turn it up. Still nothing, so I turn it up some more. Then the CD track changes to 12.5Hz and what's this? I can hear a strange ticking sound coming from the French windows. What the hell is that? So I investigate and find the French windows are literally heaving in and out and it's the lock that's making strange ticking sounds as it takes the strain. Considering I can't hear a thing from Godzilla, it's amazing how much power is being applied to these doors! So I turn him down a bit again, a bit dumbstruck!

I love organ music so I thought I'd set Godzilla up roughly by ear and leave him running in playing some of my favourite CD's while I finished my day's work in the other room. Every now and then, I would stop what I was doing - was that a helicopter hovering over the house? No it was Godzilla playing a 32ft organ stop which literally was shaking the house! :eek:

Eventually I gave up trying to work and decided it was time to play some more. So I calibrated the beast with my SPL meter and started playing with a few DVDs. I tried Titan AE DTS and the pod race from Episode 1. Curiously there seemed to be *less* overall bass than with the REL Stentor 2, but it does go very, very deep and then you realise the reason it's not so overpowering is that it stops quickly - there is no overhang. So between the rumbles, there is just much more striking clarity in the vocals because of the lack of room boom.

The only little snag I have at the moment is that the beast is not totally silent when not in active use. There is a faint hum and what I can only describe as a 'whooshing' sound all the time. I guess my standards are a bit exacting as the rest of my kit is totally silent when not actually playing. Godzilla can be heard 'breathing' above the background room noise. I've got him connected to the processor via a balanced XLR cable from the sub-out connection on the processor, plugged into the left channel low-level XLR socket on Godzilla. I might try shorting the other channel input to see if this helps. Anyone else with one of these beasts with similar noise levels? Hum & noise is the only specification not quoted by Velodyne! :(

I need to go and play some more..... :D

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Charlie.
    Amazing you got your beast within a week or so of ordering!!!
    I had to wait 2 months for mine...
    When i gave it a road test about 3 weeks ago, i didn't notice any
    humming coming from the unit (i specifically listened for it, as i had noticed that some of our American cousins had suffered the same anomoly...although i think that was on the Series I subs)
    Totally agree with your comments on the speed of driver stop, it's as tight as a gnatts chuff!!...
    Connection wise i was only using a single RCA connector (as that's all i had on me)...
    On a separate note, we demo'd in my undecorated house, which meant no furnishings, no carpet & no wallpaper etc....it's about as spartan as you can get, and not quality sub demo specs...
    Considering that, it still rocked it.
    Later this week, my friend has foolishly allowed me to cart it over to his house, which is a fully furnished affair & quite a large living space, so it'll be interesting to hear it in more acceptable surroundings....
    Should be interesting, he's got the M&K V-1250.
    Keep us posted on your initial thoughts on 'Big Brother'

Adzman

3. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Charlie,
    I've always said Velodyne are one of the few companies that are actually pessimistic with their figures. I've also said that it goes pretty much flat down to the unhearable but very feelable 12.5Hz. The waves of energy coming from this monster are almost surreal.
    :D:D:D

Charlie, what you are experiencing is actually less (much less) overall distortion rather than less bass. In this case, as you've heard, less is more.

I had zero hum on my unit. Shorting the other channel may work. I've never used the XLR imput. I use a single phono for now until my pre-pro arrives and cant hear a pin drop. How close is your sub cable to your mains cable? If they have to cross, cross them at 90 degrees (right angles). If they run parallel at any point keep them at least 6" apart. I would follow this rule of thumb no matter what cables you use.

Thanks for the initial run down. When you're ready for another to make up a pair let me know :eek::eek::D
    Best Regards
    Eric

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OMG charlie, I'm really jealous. you lucky sod.Im saving up for the HGS15 (juniour monster) and hopefully i'll get the same effect as it has the same power. i just hope uncle will still be doing these veladynes till chrismas:(

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I'm glad someone here has taste :)

I take that back

6. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Charlie.
    I too have had a similar experience in so much as when playing 15hz test tone from the Stryke CD (via my pair of Servo 15's) whilst there was no apparent noise within my 4x4.5m room my steel framed D/G units were bulging, NOT vibrating but bulging in and out to the extent that i feared the seals would burst!!!!
    Great stuff!!!

Steve.

7. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve,
    How did you do at 12.5Hz?
    Regards
    Eric

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eric!

Adzman

9. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I said I couldn't *hear* anything at 10Hz, that isn't to say there was no output there, it just didn't have the same effect on the room! Having taken some measurements now, the response is not only pretty much flat down to 12.5Hz, it's only a few dB down at 10Hz! :eek:

I still can't cure the 'snoring' though. But even so, according to some accounts I've read, I doubt it would compete with Mrs Chip! :clown:

Seriously, this background hiss+hum is really a bit annoying. It does it even when there's nothing connected to the sub except the power. I guess it's just noise generated in the switch mode power supply, rather than earth loop or induction. I've seen similar comments about this sub on the AVS forums, but it's still not clear to me whether they all do this or whether some are noiser than others. I'd be really interested to hear from Adzman, and anyone else that has an HGS15 or 18 for that matter, honestly, just how loud is the hiss+hum on yours when the sub is idle? Can you hear it with your ear right up against it, or is it loud enough to hear from across the room like mine? :(

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Charlie.
    When my HGS-18 arrived approx 4 weeks ago, i decided to unpack it and check for shipping damage. Thought that this was prudent as i was unable to use it due to the decorating going on in my home. One of the 1st things i did was to plug in the supplied
    power chord to a socket just to make sure that power was being received to the unit. Sure enough, all ok (blue neon indicator)
    There was no humming/hissing coming from the box.
    After about 4 days, i was lucky enough to borrow a friends Sony Amp, just to give it a run out. As said before i used a single RCA connector, and could not hear any humming/hissing at all.
    Inbetween changing DVD's, i did not notice any feedback/hum/hiss, and certainly none was audible during DVD playback tests. (and i did try @ low listening levels too).
    Hopefully, in the next few days i'll be getting my Meridian 568.2
    delivered, where upon receipt, i'll hook it up to check once again.
    I know some US users have complained of noisey amps, but they
    seemed to be owners of the Series 1 units (i assume yours is a Series 2)...I think i read somewhere (not-100%) that the Series 2 units were partly introduced to erradicate the noisey Series 1 amps....(but as i said, i cant be 100% sure).There and again, you also had US users saying their Series 1 units were perfect!
    When the Meridian arrives, i'll do another test.
    Sorry to hear yours seems to be noisey, as it's a colossus of a sub!

Adzman

11. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Adzman, thanks for the feedback. Yes, this is a Series II unit. This noise is a bit of a bummer really, I don't think I can live with it as it is. I'll ask Eric whether the importers might swap this one out for a quieter one! :(

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Charlie.
    Yes, speak to Uncle E about it.
    I've spoked (by email) to Velodyne's UK distributors, and have
    found them to be helpful & curteous...even asking me for an update in a few months on how the unit is performing...
    On a side note, i was initially a little daunted at the prospect of integrating this sub with the speakers, but i have to say, the HGS isn't too daunting in that respect!. It's quite flexible, and i cannot wait to get this darn room of mine finished so i can revisit my DVD collection. I have 3 new pieces of kit yet to be fired in real anger & the suspense is eating away @ me.
    Incidentally, the only thing i think i'll have to worry about, is getting rid of the finger marks that appear on the gloss piano-black casing!!!!.....strange that they do not supply spikes with it!!

Best quote yet from a friend who observed it:

'That's a dustbin lid - not a driver'

Adzman