• Apologies for the inconvenience, but AVForums will be offline from 6am Thursday 21st January 2021 for a few hours while we perform a major update to our core software. See what changes are coming.

Godzilla AVForums Blu-ray Review

Zakblue

Right on the money about the sound quality. One of the best discs i've heard going up into the demo disc favorites with the likes of Tron, Skyfall and the latest Transformers. The final parts of the credits really showcase the orchestra which is massive (over 40 of the best LA brass players!)
Good stuff and well worth the purchase price.

Exemplar

Banned
Guys. Going to be outrageous here.. My whole family was glued to the screen for this. SWMBO stated she loved it. The film/ audio gets a big 9 from us!

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member
Great review thank you, this is my new fun demo disk & as said its just a shame Mr Edwards didn't get to write the better script for this movie. But its a fun ride if you can get past some of its issues but all in all I enjoyed Godzilla being back on the big screen. Go for it you won’t be disappointed (at least with Godzilla & the Mutos) just turn it up & watch in the dark.

Last edited:

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
I'll be getting this just to see the superb Halo jump sequence again...thought that was excellent

iainoco

Saw this at the cinema and thought it was dull, I was praying for Matthew Broderick to turn up!! Bryan Cranston was woefully underused.

Mercurial

Honestly? The biggest load of garbage I've seen recently. Why, oh why, oh why, can't Hollywood just give up on these p*ss poor remakes of a remake of a remake. It's dead, let it go and move on.
How many more Hulks, Spidermans, Supermans and Godzillas do we have to endure before Hollywood gets its head out of its ass and starts making good films again.
Stop wasting good money on rubbish films!
Tony Scott was such a great loss!

Last edited:

vaktmestern

Banned
I hated this movie.. :) so slooow fights was happy to se the end credits pop n godzilla keep swimming for god sake dont return.

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member
How many more Hulks, Spidermans, Supermans and Godzillas do we have to endure before Hollywood gets its head out of its ass and starts making good films again.!
You forgot to include Batman ;)

pj

that bridge scene is a sub killer :eek:

Mercurial

You forgot to include Batman ;)
Lol! I wonder why? ;)
Christopher Nolans triple feast of Batman films proved what a truly inspiring director is capable of. Those three films are a testament to film making at its greatest and most provocative of its genre. Heath Ledgers performance as the Joker was as dark as it gets. The Dark Knight as a whole totally embellished the essence of the original Batman in a modern day setting. Moody, dark, vicious and ruthless. And they weren't afraid to kill off Missy Piggy either. Sorry, but that's who miss Gylenthal reminded me of.
If only we had more like that. Takes British directors to get the job done eh? ;)

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member
Lol! I wonder why? ;)
Christopher Nolans triple feast of Batman films proved what a truly inspiring director is capable of. Those three films are a testament to film making at its greatest and most provocative of its genre. Heath Ledgers performance as the Joker was as dark as it gets. The Dark Knight as a whole totally embellished the essence of the original Batman in a modern day setting. Moody, dark, vicious and ruthless. And they weren't afraid to kill off Missy Piggy either. Sorry, but that's who miss Gylenthal reminded me of.
If only we had more like that. Takes British directors to get the job done eh? ;)
I do agree to a point but they are still remakes/reimaginings whatever they call them these days & without them you just wouldn't have your Batmans.

If the next Godzilla film rocks which I suspect it will have to I'll be glad of the odd remake or two hundred :) but I do get where your coming from but some creations will never die as they have become more than the sum of there origins.

Last edited:

RickyDeg

Biggest movie-disappointment of 2014 for me. Not that I should have expected any different. The soundmix is good but won't help rescue this disaster for me.

mentasm

Distinguished Member
Lol! I wonder why? ;)
Christopher Nolans triple feast of Batman films proved what a truly inspiring director is capable of.
Making one and a half good films?

Yappa

After the terrific Pacific Rim, this movie disappointed me. The 3D was dull and the family antics of Kick Ass and his Olson twin wife kept me rolling my eyes. I could care less about that in a monster flic.

Mercurial

I do agree to a point but they are still remakes/reimaginings whatever they call them these days & without them you just wouldn't have your Batmans.

If the next Godzilla film rocks which I suspect it will have to I'll be glad of the odd remake or two hundred :) but I do get where your coming from but some creations will never die as they have become more than the sum of there origins.
Hopefully they'll never make another Batman film, as I don't see how they could improve on the last three. Christian Bale isn't interested in being typecast anymore.
For me it's the whole Marvel, DC thing. It's overkill and I don't understand why we can't have more movies of other genres made.
As an example, I saw Prisoners last year and it took my breathe away. Superb acting, cliffhanger story, and it had Hugh Jackman who showed what he's capable of outside of the X Men drivel. Jake Gylenthal gave us a sheriff almost akin to the lady in Fargo. It was shot with real authenticity.

Originality has gone completely out of the window in recent years, and we're just being pummelled into submission with all these remakes and comic book heroes. Is this really what the public at large wants?
Me? I'm a Donny Darko fan. ;)

Last edited:

mikeybabes2

Distinguished Member
The review is spot on - though I feel Gareth Edwards didn't do too badly with his first big budget movie.

Ultimately, however, I have never found the Godzilla story very interesting. Like Pacific Rim and the Transformers movies - huge things smashing buildings up becomes boring very quickly. And if that is the basis of your story, you're always going to have a problem...

Last edited:

mentasm

Distinguished Member
After the terrific Pacific Rim, this movie disappointed me. The 3D was dull and the family antics of Kick Ass and his Olson twin wife kept me rolling my eyes. I could care less about that in a monster flic.
She's not an Olsen twin...

mikeybabes2

Distinguished Member
I've liked that.

If I could I'd double like you for the avatar. I bet My God Is Real never sounded so good.

Steve W
I was classically trained on the piano from the age of 6. When I was 14 someone gave me a Jerry Lee Lewis LP.

So Long Chopin.... !

(Thanks for the kind words).

I really didn't know what to make of this as I drifted in and out of consciousness ,induced in no small part by the leading lady ,I mean man .
Was quite a muddling affair but I am determined to give it another shot .

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 20th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Netflix passes 200 million subscribers to end 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces soundBuds2 in-ear headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Research launches Reference 80S power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett