Godzilla (2014) 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Simon Crust

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the review - having now seen all 4 Monsterverse films this one I think is the best. By no means a masterpiece but some of the set pieces are excellent and the humans are not as stupid as they are in the other films. Never owned the blu so may get this if it hits the 3 for £30 sales.

I re-watched this recently on blu ray. Free from the expectations and hype I found it a much better film than I remembered from my first viewing. It's not a balls to the wall kaiju movie, it's a human disaster film with the kaiju being the deadly unstoppable force. It's a slow build but when it gets going its very good. The story has some issues but it also has some fantastic set pieces and as stated in the review it really puts you in the human perspective of giant MUTO's trashing our world. Very much the opposite of the brilliantly fun Godzilla V's Kong. Definitely worth a watch I will upgrade to this 4K Atmos disc in due time.

The 'less is more' approach in this film definitely felt refreshing, especially in this Marvel age where everything is ramped up to eleven and more is arguably far less.

The only factor stopping me from loving this film is Aaron Taylor-Johnson. Totally charisma free actor in my book. If only him and Bryan Cranston had traded roles, this could have been a truly great film...

I'll definitely be watching this on 4k though. I'll be reinforcing my underwear for the audio too. Maximum testicular jiggling anticipated...

King Of The Monsters was pure faecal matter, at least it wasn’t as pretentious as this po-faced exorcise in generic tedium.

As a lifelong fan of big, stupid monster movies I would really like to see the move that we occasionally see going on in the background of this.

I do think this a good film. But it was not a good story to relaunch a western Godzilla franchise. Something more akin to Godzilla V Kong or Pacific Rim would have been that more bombastic action packed script to launch a franchise. This was more of a navel gazing art house movie with Godzilla and the monsters in the back drop. It does build to a good conclusion and there are some impressive scenes. But i understand why a lot of people just bounced off this film when it was launched. But I stand by my earlier post watch it now we have had loads of Kaiju movies and I think that it makes a great alternative to the other more obvious styles. I'm not knocking the other movies I'm Kong for the win.

My take on this series of movies....

Godzilla - average at best (pretty boring) - 5/10
Godzilla King of the Monsters - god awful movie - 3/10 (and that's probably too high a score)
Kong: Skull Island - surprisingly fun - 6.5/10 (maybe a 7 if I'm feeling generous)
Godzilla vs Kong - pretty woeful, but not as bad a KotM - 5/10

Lubbed Godzilla -it was a real surprise. Something about it -like Hulk (Ang Lee)- hit all the right buttons.

Godzilla King of the Monsters -garbage
Kong: Skull Island -garbage
Godzilla vs Kong -looks garbage, not seen it yet I'll wait until I watch the UHD of Godzilla.

The whole series sucks.

Wake me up when somebody “gets it” and there’s a movie that matches the atmosphere of the original Japanese Godzilla (or Godzilla 1984 for that matter).

This Godzilla - zzzz 3/10 on a good day.
KoTM - 2/10 this super sucked ass.
Skull island - 3/10
VS - 2/10

I remember liking this when it first came out. I seem to remember it being criticised because Godzilla was 'fat' and that he didn't really get seen much until late on, but I remember enjoying it and thinking that the reviews were overly harsh.

I've enjoyed every Godzilla film I've seen for different reasons, with one exception.. Sorry, it's KOTM. Personally it's the worst by miles, miles worse than the netflix series too.

Buy anyway, I suppose I'm just a fan of Godzilla. Must be from growing up and rushing home to watch the cartoon when I was a child.

"Up from the depths, 30 stories high....."

Thanks for the review Simon. I quite liked this film and always thought the reviews on its initial release were a bit harsh. I think it sits just above Skull Island for me but thought KOTM was terrible. Tried to watch it twice and just couldn’t sit through it. I already own this on Blu ray so might wait for it to come down in price before I buy. Vs, I think I will give a miss.

Thanks for the review Simon. I quite liked this film and always thought the reviews on its initial release were a bit harsh. I think it sits just above Skull Island for me but thought KOTM was terrible. Tried to watch it twice and just couldn’t sit through it. I already own this on Blu ray so might wait for it to come down in price before I buy. Vs, I think I will give a miss.

I'd recommend trying Vs.
It's just like all the other Godzilla films, in that they are all a different take on something which has just turned into a media franchise.
it's not trying to be clever and the action delivers. Best served loud and large.
There's a difference between that kind of stupid and the KOTM stupid IMO.

I’ll give it a go then, can’t be any worse than KOTM that’s for sure. Thanks

Be aware though, for better or for worse, the human story takes a back seat.
I think I enjoyed it more because I watched it on a projector with a loud atmos setup.

Godzilla vs Kong -looks garbage, not seen it yet I'll wait until I watch the UHD of Godzilla.

OMG, I wasn't expecting much but it was horrible. I was completely lost within 15mins.

Mountains of high end CGI wrapped up in crap high enough to come out of Godzilla's arse.

"Doesn't King Kong have a knob?" was my main train of thought.

I wanted all the characters to die in a chemical fire.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom