• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Gods and Generals

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Had this on DVD for years but never watched it - is it any good?

Sent from my iPhone using AVForums

BrianPK

As IAN P has implied,well worth watching if you are a civil war enthusiast or if you are interested in the earlier battles of the civil war.Some of the Gettysburg actors are involved but as it was shot years after Gettysburg it's a little weird to see older actors in younger roles (if you get my drift).If you knew nothing about the Gettysburg film and were to look at this movie by chance you would possibly be underwhelmed.
However I greatly enjoyed it and it looks great on HD-DVD but as the the Directors cut incorporates the story of Lincoln's assassin John Wilkes Booth and the ferocious battle of Antietam(totally excluded from the original release) which was the bloodiest single day in the whole civil war with about 23,000 casualties, I'll get this on BD for the extra hour it provides.The more I think of it the more I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Barnald

Just watched up to the Fredericksburg segment last night and I can already say that this new version is infinitely better. More exposition to the camp scenes fleshes the movie out a whole lot more. And Antietem was fantastic, I can only imagine how heartbroken Maxwell must have been to cut it. If you already liked the film this is an absolute must-buy, and hopefully it will turn a lot of people also.

For me the quality is great, though to be honest I'd have probably taken this on VHS format as I never thought a Director's Cut would be released after 8 years.

Last edited:

moody41

Definitely going to pick this up since interested to see the extra scenes. Think the original version is only average thou.

What amazes me is the complete lack of movies around the civil war. You would think that a war that shaped America would have a large collection of movies but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Barnald

Definitely going to pick this up since interested to see the extra scenes. Think the original version is only average thou.

What amazes me is the complete lack of movies around the civil war. You would think that a war that shaped America would have a large collection of movies but it doesn't seem to be the case.

There's not a great deal on Blu-ray certainly (Glory is the obvious one that springs to mind), but on DVD I'd recommend two lesser known gems, Andersonville and The Hunley, the latter of which has just been released via Warner Archive. Can't see either of these two getting a Blu-ray release, but stranger things have happened.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom