1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Godfather Box Set

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by jimcarney, Sep 16, 2003.

1. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ive just bought the box set of the Godfather and I am disappointed
    to find it not does contain the version I saw a good few years ago ,when BBC showed a weekend of the trilogy i.e
    Godfather 1 with the first half hour or so in Italian with subtitles,
    does anybody know if this version is available ,I had it on tape but cant find it. I think it may have been a directors cut.

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    This was a 'special' version made for TV several years ago with some added scenes.
    The subtitled (De Niro) scenes you refer to are from Godfather 2 which were edited at the beginning to put things in chronolical order.

I think this version is available only on VHS as part of 'The Godfather Epic/Trilogy' boxsets.

3. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Yes, the TV version a.k.a "The Godfather Saga" was the three movies with the footage from G1and G2 re-edited into chronological order. Some scenes were added that never appeared in the cinema versions and these are the scenes contained in the extras on the DVD box set.

Many fans of the movies dislike this version as the whole point of the flashbacks in the cinema version of G2 is lost in this format.

There were also two slightly different versions; the US TV version with some minor edits made for nudity, language and violence, and the version prepared for video release which had the above edits restored. Didn't watch it on the Beeb so not sure which version they showed.

You can bet your bottom dollar the "Saga" version will surface on DVD eventually.

4. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the replies. Jim

5. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,398
    I think most of the extra scenes included in the VHS boxset are on disc 4 of the DVD boxset.